Your Biggest Issues

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG Protagonist, Jun 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KPDover

KPDover New Member

I agree with the above posters who point out a general feeling of the routes being rushed and care not being taken with details and glaring bugs. This is the main reason I'd like to see an editor: it seems like with TS2020 you have route makers who really care about the area they're modeling and take the time to make sure it's right. LIRR and NEC are my home railroads, so those are the ones that catch my attention most in what's lacking, but that seems to be a common feeling among users.

The feature request I'd like to highlight is the map. I don't like the arcadey feel of the game, and I think a large part of this is that the map tells you literally nothing. The game is truly "follow this blue line to the next blue dot." The scenario or timetable instructions might tell you the name of your destination, but considering there's no text on the map, you can't relate in any way to the route you're driving, or familiarize yourself with its geography. What's this city I'm passing through? What's the name of that station I just drove by? I don't even bother with switching operations because you have no agency. It's not possible to say "this cut of cars on track 18 needs to be added to the train on track 22" because we don't know what track 18 and track 22 are. So we just drive forward along the blue line to the blue dot, and then reverse along the next blue line to the next blue dot. I'm driving a train around, but I have no idea what I'm trying to accomplish, so I don't feel like I'm learning anything or applying any skill to what I'm doing. And that feeling of using my skills to improve at the game -- knowing what to do without having my hand held -- is what keeps me playing sims. I don't play TSW anymore, but I would like to be able to.

• Like Like x 8
  2. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

We could benefit from having player usable maintenance vehicules for the track, couple with the ASK CONTROLER feaure that could be more flexible to "inspect" and "maintain" the track

Like the British track, a lot of them, part of the job to do, is the removal of logs, and the repair of fences, it would fell more realistic to do those jobs using maintenance vehicules instead of stopping the train and then perform the job

3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Everybody replies “Well, there’s this, there’s that, here’s another, and another, and another...”

Give Sam a chance! It’s all well and good asking DTG for communication but it might be helpful to read that communication when it happens. We all need to work together :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. levelzwei2

levelzwei2 Member

-The brake on the br 1442 (Rapid Transit) is too weak.
    -The signals on RRO are on Express trains at every stop red.
    -There is no Editor
    -There is no br 425 on RSN and MSB
    -No LZB

5. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said in your post above except the bit I quote above. I first started with TSW and was wowed by some of the train models. I then took a punt on TS1, expecting the worst (as I had never used it before).... and quickly found it to be x10 better, on nearly every level, compared to TSW. Oh, and x3 cheaper.

This includes: actual operational simulation, decent physics, gameplay (scoring based on skill), challenge, UI ordering, realism (traffic), background lighting (yes... and even without AP enhancement), distant scenery, FOV (which just seems right), consistent LOD (but you can have Depth Of Field if you want), working light sources, carefully chosen baked lighting effects, ability to load textures, draw distance, tile streaming, better mapping, variety of routes (I am not bothered by length), variety of traction, inclusion of steam, and sense of humour.

The only thing that TSW brings to the party is the ability to walk about (although this is actually quite an immersive experience).

I always wondered why so many people moaned about TSW and wanted a replication of the features in TS1, and now I understand why. TS1 is eminently replayable, and that is before you even get to using the Editor.....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  6. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

- Lightning (why use the suncreen behind me when the rays travel trough solid surfaces?) and Shadow Draw Distance (way too low)
    - Problems with visuals flickering, it's only the tracks when using TXAA (RTX 2060 Super) but leads to ghosting when motion blur is active (whick adds to immersion and the "feeling of speed" IMHO)
    - In some angles the overhead powerlines "disappear", resulting in weird "perspective flickering"
    - Anti-Aliasing seems "only ok to me" on WQHD with upscaling 150%
    - Why can't I use all German Locos on all German routes?
    - Wrong speed limit signs on recent German routes (RRO, HRR)
    - Lack of "incidents", especially freight runs are "always green light" in most cases
    - Besides the tutorials and one or two scenarios I never have to cold start a locomotive, in Journey mode you spawn in the train but the train is not properly set up (rear lights, destination boards, passenger lights, ...) - so give me either more time or spawn me outside the train :)
    - Sound levels feel "wrong", the game in general is not loud enough (have to crank up my windows volume to 100%, usually 20% is loud enough when playing any other game)

Bugs ... please see the Known Bugs Sub-Forum which actually has some workarounds already mentioned ;-)

BUT I have to say TSW is a game I play daily for over a year now so there has to be something on the plus-side hehe

• Like Like x 5
  7. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

The lirr route with the m3 horn & no speed limit signs so you can't play with hud but there is the atc but that's kind of whack(Im not a fan of british routes but the old british trains like the hst & class 31& many of them are my favorites,Like more old british routes or a add on for gwe)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  8. npalmer405

npalmer405 Member

It’s a really nice game. I do have one issue. I just got the Caltrain DLC and for some reason the sound would keep freezing and lagging. To fix this I had to turn down my graphics (not much all I had to turn down the shadows and then it fixed its self). This might be that I use old speakers and 7year old pc. And also I have tried so hard to get the ditch lights to flash on Caltrain Cab Car and Union Pacific locomotives I tried everything.

9. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

For me it doesn’t feel like a simulator, more like a ‘arcade’ game. In my opinion it is, especially compared with the content for TS1 which is much more immersive & when played, feels more like a simulator. Which is a shame! Which is why I play so much more TS1 than TSW. It just doesn’t offer me the enjoyment/immersion that TS1 does with the DLC.

You guys need more consistency within DLCs too or at least update older DLC to meet new standards. Plus FIX the bugs.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

They don't flash on the UP. For the cab car, there is a button for crossing lights.

11. npalmer405

npalmer405 Member

oh thanks. I thought they were supposed to flash

12. Amtrak America

Amtrak America Member

This game has so much potential but they won't utilize it.

The game lacks Raildriver support. They said they weren't going to make us wait for support but its been three years.

The game feels extremely boring and lacks basic features like legitimate suspension physics, AI using bells and horns, exhaust haze, passenger cameras, etc. All the people look the same. Make things more interactive like cafe cars, bathrooms, lights in the passenger cars, curtains, etc. The game would feel so much more lifelike if Cafe cars functioned ie eating animations for people, a person standing at the counter, etc. Just adding in more animations like checking phones, carrying baggage, change of clothes by season and weather... etc. Its all in the details. Even when coupling, add basic tasks like connecting air hoses, communication cables, etc.

Drop console support. It just bottlenecks the quality of the routes.

• Like Like x 2
  13. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

A lot of dtg's profit comes from console players & didn't you already post thsi?

• Like Like x 3
  14. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Console support dropped = no TSW.

Player numbers would significantly drop if it was PC only as console player numbers already dominate the game.

It’s as simple as that.

• Like Like x 3
  15. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

& there would be no point in order to have tsw so if there isn't editor it's because console players won't be 2nd class citizens & they find a way to get editor on console

• Like Like x 1
  16. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

VERY WELL SAID!

I've felt the same way many times but you have voiced it well and probably much better than I could have.

17. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Sky box
    Sunlight reflections through cab rear walls
    TAA artefacts from wipers etc
    Sterile dead world

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Just throwing in two cents here, regarding lack of attention, I've heard someone local to the Oakville route say it's got mistakes in it too, and I think another reported errors with the route not working as intended. So the lack of care in design element crops up here once again. I can tell you, coming from over in the TS2020 forum section, that quality control and lack of testing are big issues over there, too.

19. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Please improve the map so that it at least shows station/stop names, I believe there is more information provided on the maps that developers see so maybe it's not quite so obvious to them how devoid of nameplaces the existing map is to users.

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

As much as there is useful information in the maps already, they are seriously lacking. For example, you have signals on them, which is very useful, but there's no indication, what direction those are facing. "Is that red going to be mine right behind that yellow? There's no way I could stop for that one... oh... it's the other way." Also, the speeds would be really great to see on the map. When you have two speed-drops behind each other, the map would help you see them, because UI can't save you there. You slow down to 80 kph and BOOM, 40 right behind it.

21. Plastic Pal

Not only is this true, but I personally suspect that console players on TSW also subsidise TS1... So dropping console would mean no TSW, and no future Train Simulator at all on PC.... Well.. I am sure that Trainz would still be around, of course.....

I actually think that TSW (with Editor) should be triangled explicitly for PS5 and XBox Series 1X, with support for PC when the technology for PCs catches up with the nextgen consoles, and their vastly superior direct SSD to GPU streaming. The quality would be higher and more consistent, and development time would be drastically reduced.

EDITED TO ADD: Added the phrase "I personally suspect that"

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  22. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

This is inaccurate. Train Simulator is self-sustaining in a business sense, as is Train Sim World.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Ryan1997

Ryan1997 Member

Agree with this 100%

24. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

I Know This Is Not A Bug But It Has Been Bugging me (Pun Intended)
    If a Livery Creator, A Route Creator And Train Interior Mods* And Please If this comes to tsw add this to Xbox and PC
    Many Thanks
    CheryadeGaming (Djhawtin1)
    * Change Seat Material and train configuration

25. SprattyHeath

SprattyHeath Well-Known Member

I would like to see longer routes, as I find that a majority of the routes are simply too short, and it's not using the UE4 engine to it's full potential. It would make the journey much longer and more interesting meaning you have more timetable scenarios and the possibility to have more rolling stock.

The variation of rolling stock as I mentioned earlier is also something that has been bugging me in TSW, I find that new routes seem to only have two types of trains, and sometimes these two types of trains simply dont work well. The best example is ECW where you haul a Class 66 with Aggregates to the exact same destination following the exact same route just with different timing. This just becomes boring and repetetive and is meaningless on a route that is way more suited to local passenger services.

26. Sumit

Sumit Member

My suggestions -
    a. upgrading the base unreal engine & support to upgrading the old DLC with newer engine
    b. investment in the new technology for world development like procedural generation of forest & no billboard trees as distant trees.
    c. enhancement of lightning, shadows & rainfall effects.
    d. quality testing before releasing the product
    e. better security system in trains as seen in real life & i read here a lot of complaints specially from germany train fans
    f. investment in sky textures as the current one is awful
    g. do not cut animations and features in DLC in the name of optimisation
    h. parallax effects as seen in TRS19 :cool: which creates some really nice ground textures

looking forward for the others to add more issues

• Like Like x 1
  27. HuggernautNL

HuggernautNL Member

Great to see we are finally getting someone to actually talk and listen to us. I hope you can keep up the pace and I hope we will get some actual substantial answers.

Regarding my biggest gripe with the game:

LIGHTING!

Dear god it's so awful at times. I would be so happy if my cabin is not lit in the middle of a tunnel or vice versa. Some realistic skybox and proper day and night light.

I recon most UE games have this problem (Ark for instance), where somehow it can be both too bright and too dark at the same time.

(I know, just one issue, but it's kind of related):

I'd like to add that a farther render distance for shadows would be very welcome, even though I acknowledge, again, something limited by the UE engine.

28. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

You can't easily move a train in reality when gapped, the best and easiest way is to not get gapped.
    Lovers Walk has no dedicated shunters left, the last, 09026, left Brighton in 2016 for the Spa Valley Railway.

29. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

If DTG made a Class 171 I guess you could use it as a shunter. :)

30. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

according to rail guide 2020 (a book with everything train related in 2020)they have 5 . Regards to the gapping, maybe a pump car that you can spawn and use or maybe a way to get out and push!!??

• Like Like x 1
  31. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

1. To be able to continue after SPAD.
    2. More diversity to the UK freight consists.
    3. To be able to continue after reversing the train and passing the signal. It never turns green again.
    4. If possible would be useful to have ETA.
    5. To see on the speedometer maximum speed at which the whole consist can travel. Dependent on the slowest wagon/coach.
    6. Some random events.
    7. To have movement animation for leaning outside the cabin.
    8. Randomly changing weather through the service. Also to be able to select random weather.
    9. Detailed info about wagons and coaches, as well as for the locomotives.

32. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Lets be real here. Even the next gen consoles are no where near the performance of a high end modern PC. I spent $400 on my SSD and $800 on my GPU and I guarantee you it’s better than what’s in these next gen console. I do recognize that the new SSD and GPU technology in these new consoles are promising. The fact is TSW will never have an editor for consoles before PC considering DTG themselves develop all their content on a PC. Not trying to start a platform war here but you did kind of instigate one with that post and it came across to me as anti-PC

• Like Like x 3
  33. Cyclone

DTG DID make a 171. It's in TS as part of Edinburgh-Glasgow and as a separate pack. I know that doesn't help on the TSW side, but still.

EDIT: What I mean is that the 171 is part of the 170 Turbostar DLC.

34. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

The 171 is used on the east coastway and the 170 is used on the Edinburgh-Glasgow Route

35. Plastic Pal

I am not anti-PC in any way. I am extremely pro-PC, and I have been pro-PC for about 30 years.

Actually..... I have three laptop PCs and two desktop PCs, one of which is a fairly high-performance PC used purely as a dedicated rig for simulation software. I also have a PS4 Pro, which is really quite a powerful machine and is particularly well suited to games built out in UE4. The PS5 will be even more well suited to games made in UE, especially those that are actually designed to use the architecture in the PS5, which is designed to shift data straight from SSD to GPU (say map tiles and their assets)... avoiding the need for PCs that only have the latest exotic CPUs. And this view comes straight from Epic themselves - as PS5 is now regarded as having the "best architecture ever for developing with UE".

The PS4 Pro is totally rubbish with spreadsheets. And for this reason, I never use it for Excel.

But most importantly..... although the specs of your PC are no doubt very high.... the vast majority of consumers do not spend over $3000 on a PC. I might. And you might. But others don't. So if a future TSW is released with an Editor as a key feature, but required a PC in the $3000 to $10,000 bracket, then it would be an immediate failure, as hardly anyone could possibly use it. And even if you have spent $1200 on your primary storage and GPU (which isn't actually that much).... you still can't "guarantee" that this would perform better than a PS5... it depends on how the hardware is actually used.

I still think that the future TSW should be triangled for PS5 - as the benefits that this would bring... including benefits for all mainstream users on PC.... are extremely worthwhile. It's just an opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  36. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

I appreciate and respect your well thought out and thorough response. I apologize if I came across as overreacting to your previous post and/or being anti-console. I agree that console players should be able to have all the benefits and features that PC have or will have in regard to the future of TSW. I own an Xbox One myself and do own TSW for it (though I primarily play on PC) so I do understand the console aspects of the game. With regard to the new technology with streaming of data from the SSD to be on next gen consoles, I agree that that technology will be useful and probably won’t make to PCs until later, however, I don’t think the feature will be essential to high performance in PC games since, like you said, most mid to high end PCs already have an SSD that includes the full install of the game and a powerful enough CPU to handle the streaming of data seamlessly. Also, I never really saw tile loading times as an issue for TSW on any platform since UE4 incorporates tile streaming anyway. The bigger issue that consoles face for the future of TSW in my opinion is the graphical quality itself. Even on my PC I struggle to get 60 FPS at 4K in TSW and it’s clear that DTG need to work on graphical optimization so higher frame rates can be achieved easier on all platforms when running at higher resolutions like 4K.

• Like Like x 1
  37. thrashmetal86

thrashmetal86 New Member

Overpowered brakes and empty cars on CSX:HH
    Lack of TrackIR support
    Lack of random failures that must be overcome (Loco 2 in the consist has failed, cut it out and have fun hauling this heavy train with limited power)
    Lack of unpredictable, random incidents (signal failures, cars caught on level crossings we need to stop for, trees on the track, etc) outside of scenarios
    Lack of variable adhesion
    Unrealistic super-turbo magnets that keep you on the rails no matter what you do (Yeah, I know this is probably a licensing thing)

• Like Like x 1
  38. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Switching to automatic km / h or mph, depending on the region.

• Like Like x 9
  39. MillerPC

MillerPC Active Member

I understand the conversation but don't drag this thread away from the initial post. Stay on topic please.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. TrainPhotos_

TrainPhotos_ Active Member

I completely agree with this. We don't really need a world editor, we already have TS2020 for that. And it wouldn't be easy to edit routes on consoles. I think that what this game needs is a multiplayer mode, as it only has got official routes. That would be amazing and would set a difference between TSW and other train simulators. The only train simulator with multiplayer I know is Open Rails, but it has got very low quality graphics and it's not easy to use. I think that a multiplayer would make this game different and more people would play it for sure.

41. Doomotron

There is a very good reason why the PS5 is hailed as much as it is, and that's because while the Xbox Series X One Two Slim X and PC are/can be more powerful on paper, Sony has taken the time to 'redefine' the games console. in a sense, by which I mean that there are many small tweaks in a lot of places and changes to things that we haven't really thought about much since the 1990s. Of course, we'll only know what the PS5 can actually do when Sony's first-party developers (in particular Polyphony Digital) get their hands on it.

<obnoxious>Your PC (at least for a very long time) probably doesn't have an SSD with a theoretical top speed of 22GB/s</obnoxious>
    1. Thomson Interactive made the Class 170.
    2. Not very useful.
    Why would a console editor be harder to use? Pretty much everything RailWorks' editor can do can be done in LittleBigPlanet Karting (albeit not for trains).

• Like Like x 1
  42. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I am enjoying the product. Nothing is perfect and I do not expect anything to be 100% perfect. My biggest issue is the lack of content from countries outside of the same old UK, Germany, and US. Canada was a nice addition but train-wise it really is no different from US. I would love to see the world put into a game that has world in it's title.

• Like Like x 3
  43. TrainPhotos_

TrainPhotos_ Active Member

Personally I would find difficult to use the RailWorks editor with a controller... A scenario editor could be more easy to use on any platform. But it's just my point of view :P

44. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this, but some minor things to look at when TSW is a more polished product down the line would be haptic feedback. Right now on PC and console, there is no controller vibration. Adding haptic feedback (which exist in TS1 already, so the technology is there), would make playing the game with controllers more immersive.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Cyclone

The point is saying it's been done. They could create one for TSW if they want to. May not help this thread at all, just pointing it out.

46. Doomotron

That's because it has no controls designed for a controller apart from camera movement.

47. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Has anyone noticed in some locations you can be traveling on a down grade and the HUD would display an up grade? The train physics would react as if you were traveling up grade as well..

It'd be nice if we can see the stops to be made in the menu before starting a run.

48. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Poor Sam,

This is a long list already. I will not add much, but I see a few things that could be a significant improvement:

1. A content editor, especially for scenarios and timetables
    2. The user interface has some weird things:
    - It forgets every week my DTG live login credentials
    - You need to press three times a button to enter the game
    - The save function is cumbersome, why not simply press F2 and and your game is saved?
    3 Many timetable drives have poor timing. Can you allow us 2-4 minutes time for proper setup?
    4 Can we have more realising in starting conditions? E.g. always a cold boot when you start in a depot and end there also with a shutdown, on a regular drive, a starting state that matches how a previous driver would leave it.
    5 Finally, half way a drive a slightly longer stop for passenger services, so you can make up for delays

Sorry, I realize this already is a long list. If we get the first one fast, I will forgive you for the others.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  49. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Please correct the Signalling on the GWR Route
    There is no advance warning to the driver he is going to pass thru a Crossover at a reduced speed until he sees the Route indicator.
    Approaching Slough from Paddington with a 166 you are on Two Yellows so you start to reduce speed to be doing around 50 at the Single Yellow only to find the Single Yellow has a Indicator showing you are going thru a slower crossover and then another at 15 in to the Bay.
    At major stations where staff despatch the trains, Paddington & Reading there is no RA on the signals to tell the driver he can depart.

Peter

50. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

No AI at Leipzig HBF
    makes the route feel dead
    Class 377 AI deceleration sounds not working
    NEC and LIRR tunnel bug
    Lack of AI in LIRR
    Lack of AI in GWE
    FGW 166/43 liveries
    Class 180’s in GWE since they were still in service on 2016
    More multiple unit class 166’s in