Windows 10 Game Mode

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 749006, Jun 1, 2020.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I saw a link to this
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/gamin...gue-of-legends-freezing-windows-10-game-mode/
    "One of these players started a thread on fixed the problems that he was having on his PC. “The CRAZY intermittent stutters are TOTALLY gone in my testing. I don’t know if this is an established fix that many have tried but I figured I’d put it out there for anyone who doesn’t know yet,” he wrote. Other players have joined the discussion, saying that deactivating Game Mode fixed similar stuttering and freezing issues.2

I wondered if this was affecting TS2020 and causing the number of crashes we see reported

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

3. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

I tried it a few weeks ago but didn't appear to make much difference on my laptop...

Eric

4. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Has anyone tried this on Windows 10 version 2004 which was released on the 27th of May 2020. Check your Windows Settings/security and update and see if it is ready to download. Not released to everyone at once for obvious reasons.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I am dealing with my own general audio stutter that was introduced in build 1903. It arrived to my PC late, in November 2019, but has a documented history of issues. My last fix attempt was installing Realtek and I haven't seen it recur yet. I have been using my laptop for video and audio playing but will eventually bump it over to the PC again to see if it recurs. Coming up on a week straight, which is somewhat a record for this month.

And just to be clear, I am using LatencyMon to check for the issues as I have used mic and other audio on here. Just haven't played long videos yet. That is where I expect the issue to recur.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I had a crash the other day and the RealTek audio was one of the problems so I removed it

7. hightower

hightower Guest

Yep, it doesn’t like the RealTek audio driver one bit. I was getting a constant crackling in my headphones with it installed, and all is well with it removed.

FWIW I’ve always had Game Mode disabled and I still get the crashes.

8. VION

VION Active Member

Hi Peter what do you use to replace Realtek audio driver if like me you have only an onboard Realtek audio chip? Did you use a WHQL generic audio driver in place?

9. Cyclone

I personally don't have any onboard on this computer. If I don't keep Realtek, I cannot get audio at all. That said, I do have NVIDIA drivers for that purpose.

10. hightower

hightower Guest

That’s what I’ve done. Use the generic driver and it’s a million times better!

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes.
    The Realtek audio driver was a leftover from a W7 to W10 upgrade

12. VION

VION Active Member

Ok I tested and while I changed the Realtek High Definition Audio driver for the Generic High definition audio driver from Microsoft, I have no more Mic input only the playback reception audio on my headphone/mic combined. So I reinstalled the Realtek high definition audio driver and all is again running fine. Looking the release date of these two drivers the Realtek for my hardware (motherboard audio chip) is from 2017 and the other from Microsoft is from May 2020 indeed much recent. But using the Microsoft recent driver, I have no more mic input...Strange. Using the Microsoft audio driver, Windows 10 tell me the mic is not plugged although it is well plugged in as when I use the Realtek audio driver test. Probably a hardware compatibility issue.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  13. Cyclone

That sounds messy. Well, provided you have something that works, use what works. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. VION

VION Active Member

Indeed you are right. For this step I come back to my motherboard brand (asus) and found a much recent audio Realtek driver dated from 2018 but online downloadable only from March 2020. I installed this last driver version and well all is running fine without cracking sounds or such weird issue. And to come back on the subject of this post I run "game mode on" and all seems to be good without any issue.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  15. Cyclone

I'm trying to solve an audio latency not related to the game myself. Suspicion for me is on NVIDIA drivers, of all things. Will be fun trying to play the NVIDIA dependent stuff without NVIDIA drivers. LOL But hopefully, it's a mere short-term experiment that leads to me downloading and installing the correct drivers to use my computer properly again. Microsoft has now broken two of my computers in four years, and this one by forcing the update on me, I did everything I could not to get it, so hopefully I can sort this out and then I'll take further steps to ensure I don't get updated again without approval. LOL.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  16. VION

VION Active Member

Humm about what I understood you are not favorable to keep the Windows update automatic; in Windows 10 you can suspend the update for a laps time if you want; but at some point you will be reminded to update your system too. Nothing is perfect and the time and evolution passing, we do to follow what is adviced. Hope all is working fine on your side for now before an eventual next issue. ;-)

17. trev123

trev123 Active Member

In Windows 10 ( I have had it from the beginning) I have never had it automatically update other than OS files and now it doesn't do that either.

18. trev123

trev123 Active Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. VION

VION Active Member

Strange that isn't the official Realtek web site… And some commentaries advice to download the HD audio drivers package only from your brand manufacturer hardware/motherboard which I done already because third party software embedded with the Realtek drivers aren't present in the Realtek package driver given by your link.

20. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I have downloaded and installed these and they work mind you I never had issues with my previous Realtek drivers which I don't think were HD.

21. VION

VION Active Member

Ok happy for you; looking at the driver date signature, these are from 08/2017 while Realtek HD audio drivers from my motherboard manufacturer are dated from 2018 supposed much recent. I don't install those provided in your link and keep those from my motherboard brand. All is working fine on my side too. Anyway thank you for your help providing some interesting infos.
    Cheers
    Gerard

22. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Yeah, my computer is of 2012 vintage, Intel i5 2500K CPU, Windows 10, GTX 1060 6GB graphics card and 16GB of ram. Runs TS2020 just fine.

23. Cyclone

So I have a 2018 computer and have the exact same hardware as you? Well then. I just have more RAM.

24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Just because people have the same computers does not mean TS2020 has the same Graphics Settings

25. Cyclone

No, I didn't say that. I just found it interesting my pre-built was bought in 2018 and I have similar hardware.