PC Don't Make An Editor For Console!!!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nielsmallant100, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

It is not near impossible.... It is very very possible. It is, arguably.... fairly easy. Think MS Paint (circa 1985) plus MS Notepad (circa 1983).

Unless, by "Editor".... you mean "modified UE SDK game building engine".... That would be difficult. That would be like trying to put a fully grown chicken back into the egg that it came from.... without hurting it. It would be like trying to get the factory that makes consoles to fit inside the console box.

You'd need a Tardis.

But thankfully, you don't need the modified UE SDK to be The Editor. You could just have a basic paint and text editor. Sort of...

Maybe something beyond 1985 technology... but honestly... not much beyond 1985.... ;-)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  2. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

this is exactly what I mean, because thats what DTG previewed

3. Plastic Pal

Nobody would force console players to buy PCs. And consequently... those sales would be lost.

TS1 would carry on, but at a slow/steady pace, as it has done. TSW would probably not exist without consoles, as I suspect that TSW was designed to be cross-platform..... specifically in order to access the vast console market. This is exactly what happened with the fish stuff as well.

And if you look at the company filings for Railsimulator.com... then you could infer that cross-platform-ness was the strategy for the company from about 2015/16....

4. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

5. nielsmallant100

6. Plastic Pal

Yes - but to be fair, you are quoting TrainSim-Daniel .... and quite frankly... in my opinon.... well.... you should then attach whatever level of meaningfulness you like to that... ;-)

I think that you will find that DTG intend to make an editor to include functionality on console. This has been very clearly stated, very recently - here:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/community-manager-reporting-for-duty.23002/#post-137467

7. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Things change, company strategies change, a company that cannot change policy to suit changing markets and demands is not going to last long at all! A year is a long time time in Trainsimming as someone never said!

• Like Like x 3
  8. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

Why are we complaining about which machine is the best.Why was this thread created anyway.I don't want to offend anyone but there are some many threads like this dtg won't listen to this because they aren't excluding people

• Like Like x 3
  9. trainsimcz

trainsimcz Well-Known Member

What a long thread, already 3 pages :D Looks like its going to be the popular one :D

As i did many mods for TSW i can say that i cant imagine how will the editor work on consoles.

Livery editor (skins) - right now the game is made the way - one loco model = one texture, if there is Switch livery in the game, that means there is 2 models with 2 skins (each model got one) and its mapped and cant be changed without model source. There is not pre-defined graphics patterns for that.

How you will edit livery - did you see how is the texture looks like ? If not than i can tell you is a huge graphic mess as all parts of the loco is on one 4k texture - so i dont see console players to change that. PC players spend many hours to create one perfect reskin and they have many tools for that (which you will be missing on consoles).

You are talking about scenario editor - so for the scenario you need basically some commands (right now its the BP way (nods in UE4) to do it). But you need map (route editor for that) where you should be able to place some extra assets, some stop points, etc... (you dont want the scenario looks like to drive from A to B). As the content in the game is cooked you cant really edit it without recooking it (and i dont think you can even recook the cooked content as UE4 editor is always working only with uncooked content) - so how you will accomplish that ? DTG is using engine which is closed and you can edit the stuff only with proper tools - dont see any UE4 based games to have ingame editor - always extra external editor downloaded from Epic Store).
    With the scenarios you would like to have some traffic around, for that you will need editor for formations and of course for the timetable (again create timetable is similar like create scenario - telling other trains where to go).

How you will save all of this ? Again UE4 game cant cook content, it can read cooked content but not modding it. And if the saving content will work that great like save in the game which always break the game, than i wish you best of luck with that :)

Until DTG prove that with some working version (not with their in house editor) for me it sounds like impossible task and i will be happy change my mind if they prove it that it can be done (just writing about it doesnt make the editor working - they can promise tons of stuff but you should learn from the past ... most of the promises will never happened). They dont even solve public PC editor yet after 3 years of waiting which suppose to be for more than a year in "beta testing".

And somebody was talking about other games with editors on consoles - to make it clear the most of the games with the in game editor are made by the companies with their own engine, their own editor, DTG is using for TSW UE4 editor made by Epic.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Unplug your console, take it over to your PC and let them hug it out so that they can become friends again. All this fighting between appliances is making my fridge sad.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Not forced by the developers or anyone, that's not what I mean. But if they really wanted TSW and their only option was PC, then many of the current console players would probably end up buying the PC version at the end, because they wouldn't have the choice like they do now. Kind of like how people will buy a console just for a single console-exclusive game sometimes.

12. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I generally agree that the PC vs console argument is ridiculous yet time and time again a PC player pops up and raises the issue again “oh because of console blah blah” like this thread started. Just leave it there, why bang on constantly about it thread after thread. People are tired of hearing the same old BS. I’m close to level 500 in TSW on PS4 now so when people constantly bash consoles it does grate a little when I expect they are a much lower level than that

on the numbers of players it isn’t made up, Matt directly said on the discord that console players far outweigh those on pc. I didn’t see that it was 5x the amount as was put in a post earlier on here but the statement there are more is right there.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Plastic Pal

I don't know this for an absolute fact.... but I am fairly sure that DTG is not reliant on UE4 for absolutely every single aspect of TSW functionality.... Maybe all parts of the UI use UE widgets..... but I doubt it. There will always be the potential to have an internal bolt-on editor... but it would have to be created as a new feature for that purpose.

It's not what they do now. But an internal in-game editor (and frankly - content distribution system....) that does not require the full UE SDK is a feature that could be developed in the future for end-users, on all platforms. This is what they have now said that they will do (although, they haven't said how).

It's just an opinion..... but there is a difference between making everything with a tool-maker (UE), and making things with tools (whether or not the tools were made by the same tool-maker).

14. nielsmallant100

I didnt start this thread to blame consoles, I started this thread to remind people what consoles are, and what they aren't. People who think you can have a full editor on console are delusional

• Like Like x 1
  15. nielsmallant100

no they are, everything is UE4

• Like Like x 1
  16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If they had a PC as well then yes. But buying a PC purely for TSW, that would be rare. I wouldn’t have bought a PC if TSW wasn’t on consoles. I bought it for PS4 and only did so because my partner already had the console. I would have continued to use Trainz on my Mac if TSW was PC only, and I would have continued to be sad, because it wasn’t what I wanted in a train sim. I may have bought a PS4 purely for TSW though, as they are cheaper than decent PCs, but it’s not 100% certain that I would have. The console market for TSW is there because millions of people already have consoles, and only a tiny tiny fraction of those would have bought a PC just for TSW, even if they really liked the look of it.

• Like Like x 3
  17. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

It's making my oven mad too

18. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

There are too many threads that are attacking people because this machine is better than the other this community is getting very toxic because of this

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Plastic Pal

Tell me about it. I put some quick (5 minute) pasta on... went back ten minutes later (thinking it was normal pasta)... and now it is a sort of soup.... So... pasta soup it is then..... It certainly isn't al dente.....

I am tempted to try and eat it by sucking it all through a straw. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  20. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

I mean I agree with your statement because you can add editor to pc & probably have there creations on some type of workshop so you can download what you want on console

• Like Like x 1
  21. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

People could make the argument about all aspects of train sim, tho. What if I have a PC that only has the minimum requirements. Am I being forgotten because I cant max out the settings? Of course not.
    Ive got an almost complete collection of dlc on my PS4. I made the decision a while back after watching official streams, seeing what 3rd parties could do and having TSxx as a good alternative, that I was going to move over to PC. Which Im in the process of doing. I accept that whilst consoles need an editor, and should have one. For them to have the exact same features as PC means that there would have to be compromises, and that decision will always appear to be justified because tsxx players will be looking at tsw, then deciding to stick with tsxx. So the console market will always be much larger.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Plastic Pal

That is how it works if you want to upload decals to GT Sport on Playstation. Use Photoshop/Gimp.... convert the file to the right vector format.... log-in to your account, upload.... then it is available for use in the internal art program.... to be applied to the 3D models of cars.

You never get access to the actual 3D models of the cars - you don't need to. You can paint them, colour them, design a livery, apply your custom made decal content... save them, share them... and drive them...

But you cannot sell them. It only gets complex if you want to sell things.

23. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I wonder how would mods with code libraries work on consoles, or any mods that need non-UE4 files to work. Would people have an option to release a mod only for a specific platform?

Anyway I know the hell of making a code with no debugger and that is something that people are signing up for when making console mods.

24. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

The OP was being deliberately confrontational by posting ‘do no put editor on consoles’ and then wonders why he receives flack. We need to stop with this console vs PC thing. If you don’t think the editor can work fully on consoles, explain why, don’t just start a thread effectively saying leave behind console users because they don’t want to create, only play. Many people can’t afford a £1000 computer which is effectively what’s needed to run TSW well. Good on you if you can, but console compatibility has opened up a whole new market for TSW. They pay the same amount of money for the DLC it wouldn’t be fair to just leave them behind and create a two tier system. I don’t see any reason why the PS5/Xbox 2 won’t be able to handle an editor when they’ll be as powerful as modern PCs when they release in less than 6 months time.

And as for the designing of content, a console can have a mouse and keyboard plugged in.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Plastic Pal

Yeah - I started with TSW on console. Now moving over to TS1 on PC, and perhaps TSW on PC (depends what they do with PS5).

But I always defend the console "side" of the argument (although there is no need for sides...), because the sales on console are absolutely critical for me to keep getting what I want, whether that it is on PC or console.

I just want TS1 and TSW to be successful.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Consoles work with keyboards not mice. People have been requesting this for years. Ps5 and new xbox will run things fine I expect. Microsoft limitations will stop uploading photos, something Playstation allow, so right there we even have disparity between the consoles.
    Yes Plastic Pal It was the choice between PS5 or PC. PC has TSxx for back up.

27. animalkosmik

animalkosmik Well-Known Member

you don’t understand, TrainSim-Daniel was a DTG employee at that time ;)

28. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

We also had an editor stream. 16gb ram was recommended to run it properly. Console use questions were rebuffed.

29. levelzwei2

levelzwei2 Member

I think DTG should just bring the Editor out for PC because after what I've heard it is much easier to bring out an editor for the pc than for a console.
    You could say it isn't fair but when they have figured out how to bring it out for a console they could bring it out for it.
    I think much more TS players would start to play TSW because it would be possible to bring more Content for the TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  30. nielsmallant100

exactly

• Like Like x 2
  31. TinTin_57

Correct. I used to be a regular here but largely Now moved to the unofficial discord. It’s generally a bit more informative there and you have mods policing the thing

• Like Like x 2
  32. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

This thread has been the flavour of the day clearly, and tempers would benefit from being cooled off a little.

Suffice to say that the aim for the editor for Train Sim World is that it is available across every platform the software is. No second class citizens. If you want to get into full route creation or the design and release of locomotives/rolling stock, you can get involved right now via the Partner Program.

Also, because it's always worth a reminder, this conversation is occurring on a forum, a place where:
    A: you won't change anyone's opinion. Ever.
    B: people are allowed to disagree with you. It doesn't make either of you wrong automatically.

Keep the conversation philosophical rather than combative and I'll keep this open as long as you like.

• Like Like x 7
  33. nielsmallant100

100% Sam, trying to keep it peaceful.

34. Plastic Pal

Well... I have always found that however bad things have been in the past... they do get better over time.... and this might be another example of it.... I know. I am such an optimist....!

I just think of all those thousands of auto-closed support tickets that included equally meaningful advice... stuffed into the back of the cupboard... keeping the mice warm, so that their Left Mouse Buttons don't freeze off in the winter.

35. TinTin_57

Change the title and your original post if you are keeping it peaceful. That way no one gets aggravated with you

• Like Like x 2
  36. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

There's no need to make any changes. Strong opinions often come with strong wording, and that's fine. Providing participants in this thread are debating the opinion, not the person making it (or how they've made it) we'll be just fine.

"You're posting wrong..." rarely results in a positive outcome. I'll deal with tone, you deal with the subject matter.

• Like Like x 2
  37. xpert2036

xpert2036 Guest

Train sim 2 has quick drive & sand patch grade is comping to console also

• Like Like x 1
  38. Plastic Pal

• Like Like x 1