PlayStation Your Biggest Issues

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DTG Protagonist, Jun 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

While I am still getting up to speed in reading posts on this and other forums (I'm going back 2 years in order to build a picture) I'm hoping you can help me in pulling together an initial please-fix list. I'd like to invite everyone here to name their biggest issue - it could be an obvious bug, something that doesn't ring true or something more general.

I'll compile this list and submit it to the development team for their feedback. Obviously, I don't possess a magic wand, infinite development resource or the power to command people to do my bidding, but I'm hoping that this exercise can establish the scope of what is and is not possible.

I'm repeating, a little, of what I've said in the Train Simulator forum here (some reorganisation of the boards is in order, let's save that for another time), but Train Sim World, like Train Simulator before it is an ongoing, living project. As a result, equal effort should be paid in improving what we have while always pushing forward. Perfection may well be unachievable, but that doesn't mean that we cannot aspire to more.

Set aside route requests - there'll be ample opportunity for specifics on that front - and limit yourself to one issue each in this initial exercise. Yes, just one issue per person - this won't be the last time we do this.

Thank you.

(apologies for the copy/paste post here, I'll reorganise the forums in the next week to help distill important posts to fewer locations)

• Like Like x 5
  2. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

Hi Sam, thanks for doing this.

One of my personal complaints is that the skybox needs adjusting, for example clouds look very rough and the lighting can be very bright at times which is a little off.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

My biggest wish is for the class 47 on Northern Trans Pennine to be fixed. It is underpowered on consoles despite being the most powerful of the locomotives on that route. This has been known about since it came out in 2018 but never addressed. Many thanks and good luck. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

The tunnels on NTP (Standedge), NEC/LIRR (NY Penn) and PC (almost all of them) have draw distance and distant tile streaming issues, so that you see the white netherworld before you see the end of the tunnel, which is extremely immersion breaking.

EDITED TO ADD: The issues with PC tunnels are very rare (I have only seen this happen once, so maybe my HDD was working on something else at the time).... so this might not be an actual general issue for everyone on PC. But Standedge and NY Penn are well-documented as being horrific for very many.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The return to free roam option after a service puts you back where you finished but the game does not always recognise if you then leave a train and so the AI doesn’t take over the service to drive it off the map, it still asks you alight here when you have already done so. If the train has another service you are allowed to drive again but don’t want to, you may have to enter the other end of the train, sit in the driver’s seat then get out again and wait for the game to ask you if you want to give up the service all to convince the game you have finished with that train, or otherwise use other workarounds. Basically it’s very clunky. I’ve chosen this bug as it affects most if not all routes and renders the return to free roam a bit pointless when it should be a flawless tool for inhabiting the world.

• Like Like x 4
  6. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Trophies for all routes. There are many PS4 threads on this. Some just never work and a support ticket results in an instruction to rebuild the PS4 dB or that it’s an issue locally. Never works. Someone on staff should understand console builds.

NEC tunnel speeds with safety systems on.

Ability to use any loco on any route (country specific). Also the choice to not be cannon about it. “Oh that never ran in that region” etc etc. I don’t care, I’d like the choice

• Like Like x 8
  7. MJLevy1118

MJLevy1118 Member

This may be abstract, but there's something about TSW that feels more lifeless than Train Simulator, despite the more advanced game engine. I'm wondering if it's the way the game is lit, or the audioscape, or maybe the way 3D models appear in-game, but the virtual worlds feel flat and unalive.

I like running passenger services end-to-end, and for whatever reason, I can happily run the same route back and forth dozens of times in Train Simulator, yet I get bored quickly when doing the same in TSW. I wonder if increasing the presence of train sounds - such as increasing the train rumble, enhancing squeals around curves and brakes, A/C, air "whooshes," etc - as well as enhancing the lighting, would help bring the game to life. I was very happy to see cab sway implemented a few months ago, but I think the sense of vehicular motion when driving in the cab could be further improved. It's not enough to see the monitor position bobble a little from time to time; I want to *feel* the acceleration of the train when I leave a station.

On the topic of lighting, unlike other users, I find the game is too dark - and I run it with my monitor brightness settings turned up. The game almost always has a dark, gloomy, shadowy look, unless I'm running something like CalTrain on a summer day, in which case the game lighting is blown out and whites/light colors look like they're reflecting the sunlight.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MJLevy1118

MJLevy1118 Member

One that's more concrete: in the TSW timetable mode, it'd be a lot more helpful to list all the stops for every service. Currently, it's a lot of guesswork picking a CalTrain or LIRR service and hoping that you've selected one that stops at where you want to stop. For example. I like to run local stopping commuter trains, but it's frustrating to load a LIRR service, only to find that it's an express and will only make a couple stops between New York and Hicksville. Then i have to exit, find another service, and reload. Listing all the stops for every passenger service would make a big difference.

• Like Like x 2
  9. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Er guys...
    ;)

Excellent news. Although not directly related to TSW you can take my one gripe (for this time :)) as being the forum(s) could do with a little love and attention. And some consolidation. The same questions and information is scattered all over the place.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

The whole "not being willing to communicate about anything" was always my biggest beef with DTG but it sounds like you have a handle on that one Sam. Thanks for that.

What I'd like to raise is not an issue like a bug but something that wasn't implemented in full to start with, despite the communications saying otherwise. The way a lot of the areas in Hamilton have been blocked off on the CN Oakville Subdivision route with invisible walls is dreadful. Please look at removing these blockages and opening up the whole route. Even if there are no specific services / scenarios for those areas it would just make the route so much more pleasant to roam on, especially with the free roam scenario.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Possibly an easy couple-1) the sky box needs bringing up to standard. 2) reflections of sunlight through cab rear walls and 100% cloud cover 3) TAA artefacts off wiper blades and window edges. 4) Sterile dead world needs bringing to life with announcements, chimney smoke, conversation sounds on platforms, anything.. and 5) something besides constant green signals..

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2020
  12. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

I agree with all the above mentioned topics, but since I haven't seen many german players here, I feel obliged to ask for a better localization.
    It happens far too often that the task description uses different labels than those that are readable when moving a lever or switch.
    It's annoying to have to change the language setting on my PS4 back and forth just to find out what's meant.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Trainzdriver328

Trainzdriver328 Active Member

my wish would be if the overhead lines on the RRO in Schwelm and in RSN at Letmathe get fixed. The overhead lines from Schwelm on RRO are too low, the overhead lines in Letmathe on the RSN are too high.

And my second note is if you can set which type of braking you use on German freight trains. Because the braking position G is applied to all German freight trains. It annoys me a bit if you always brake with the brake type G. The G position applies the brakes slowly and releases them slowly. That is probably for longer freight trains. Position P is more for short freight trains, applies and releases the brakes quickly. That would be cool if you can add a feature to change the brake types.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Please correct the Signalling on the GWR Route
    There is no advance warning to the driver he is going to pass thru a Crossover at a reduced speed until he sees the Route indicator.
    Approaching Slough from Paddington with a 166 you are on Two Yellows so you start to reduce speed to be doing around 50 at the Single Yellow only to find the Single Yellow has a Indicator showing you are going thru a slower crossover and then another at 15 in to the Bay.
    At major stations where staff despatch the trains, Paddington & Reading there is no RA on the signals to tell the driver he can depart.

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  15. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Please fix Mastery

• Like Like x 1
  16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist - Is this just for PS4 users?
    If I had not seen the link on UKTS I would not have know about this thread

Peter

17. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

The tunnel bug at penn (both NEC and LIRR)

• Like Like x 1
  18. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

I found a site for that which I use!
    https://smtimetables.herokuapp.com/

• Like Like x 1
  19. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

At the start of timetable services, player should have a few minutes of time to prepare and setup the train.
    Now you start a service, and you get dropped into an unprepared train with object stating: stop at ..... on xxx:xxx
    So when you take the time to set up the train correctly you lose some time, and you'll be late for the entire journey.
    And preparing a train on console can take a fair bit longer than on pc, because we can't hop to the other side of the train by the push of a button.
    Speaking of buttons.... DTG should use button combinations on the controller. That way you can assign about 4 times the functions that you have now. I mentioned this to Matt during a stream once. He told me players would find it confusing.... That's a poor excuse in my book. Farming Simulator has been using button combinations for years, they're selling hundreds of Thousands of console copies and absolutely no one is complaining about the controls.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Poppa

Poppa Member

All interesting points being posted here.

I'm going to second the trophies.

Running the trains really is amazing and while I see little bugs here and there they do not detract from my enjoyment of the game. It's when I complete a task and no trophy is awarded that hurts the most.

So if there is any way you can do an update that helps with the trophies I'd be all in

Don

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

My biggest issue is not having the track speed displayed on the console of the M3 and M7. The ATC works fine but I would like to have the realism of not having to look at the HUD for the track speed.
    Alao having the ability to remove the HUD on PS4 without a keyboard

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

I agree with most of the above comments and requests.
    I would like to ask, if would be possible when you "save" the run of the train, - in order to continue later - that save will be only for the route you are running?
    I mean, could be the save be only for the current route? So there might be an individual save record for each route.

Just a question: Are timetibles, real ones?
    I ask this, because on most routes, I get to the first station earlier than indicated.
    But after that, usually I can not achieve the rest of the timetable. Even if I go to the maximum speed.
    This is caused, due to trains that have no direct brake, - like electric ones - so you have to specially manage the braking time and distance.
    So you loose time there.

Thank you for considering our opinions!
    Really appreciate it

23. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...ok, I guess this one falls in the ‘something more general’ category (in this case, a process improvement).

I would just like to suggest that DTG starts doing a much (much) better job of catching some of the bugs that currently slip through testing and eventually reaches players (meaning paying customers). Not sure how some of these issues currently slip through the (code testing) cracks... not sure if it’s related to limited testing staff, poor or limited testing being done, or even too many issues being found in testing to possibly resolve all of them before a route is released, etc. Regardless of what’s causing this issue, I and I’m sure others here would just like to see significant improvement in this space moving forward- so that much more of these bug-related issues are caught in the code testing phase, long before players ever see them.

P.S. Pretty good return on the investment on this process improvement too- catching more of these bugs in testing is a win for all of your TSW 2020 players (or upcoming Train Sim World 2 players).

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

It appears that there is a strong possibility that DTG has now decided to never ever address any bugs ever again.

So now there will be no need to do any testing. If bugs appear, it won't matter. Because they'll want to focus on moving on to to TSW 2. And then TSW 3. And then TSW 4. Keep it moving forward, you know...?

Leaving a trail of LOVE in their wake.

25. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

I think that my biggest issue with the game is it's system of objectives that can make you stuck for slightest errors and therfore makes it very hard to drive fully without HUD. For example if you close the doors a little early and depart, the objective just hangs there, blocking progress.

Generally the game should be designed more in a way that it supports playing with no HUD without having to bring it up in any situation.

Of course performance is an endless battle for me as well.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Northlander

Northlander Guest

Not forgetting Elite Dangerous on PS4 - Multi Macro controls across all buttons, 4 "Extra" button using the 4 corners of the touchpad, and the motion sensor for headlook so you don't even need to tie up the right stick

27. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

I second this. Had to resort to finding the start time of the service and then going back and spawning on foot around 5 minutes before departure. Not a huge issues but a little annoying. Would love to start a timetable service with a few minutes to spare to set up like mentioned in the quoted post.

Edit - One more issue *sorry*! Passengers on trains when they shouldn't be such as when the train is going to the sidings after a days work.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  28. Northlander

Northlander Guest

I think we all know the level of 'detail' or DTG's overall quality of fixing things... We'll not see any of this now that they are working on TSW 1.5

29. Tomas9970

Tomas9970 Well-Known Member

Ups. Just realised I posted this in the PS4 subforum. Should have been in the PC one.

30. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Locking this thread to summarise. Thank you all for your contributions.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.