Euro Fishing Fishing The Margins And Using The Slope Of The Lake To Roll You Bait And Find Your Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GOrd0n Bennet, Oct 2, 2017.

1. GOrd0n Bennet

GOrd0n Bennet Member

I have seen lots of posts on here complaining that your bait moves around after you have cast it out. I'm sure its meant to but admit it can be a real headache if you are trying to fish a gravel bar in the middle of a big lake and your bait keeps rolling off. Trying to fish out in the middle of Presa can be a real headache as its full of slopes.

As I fish in the margins the bait rolling is actually a real advantage. My basic approach on most lakes is to cast one rod (with the biggest bait I have) into a likely looking spot (an inlet, a bit of a bay etc) and forget it. I then underarm (fully powered) cast a light rig and bait (size 12 hook) straight in front of me, spod this area liberally and float fish in the same area keeping the spod rod going after each cast. After a slow start my swim starts to pick up and I am catching quite regularly on close in rods and with luck occasionally from the spots around my swim I cast my big bait to. At this point there will be probably be fish splashing around you and if you are having a good day you may even have spotted bigger fish moving around. This is a great time to roll a bait out into your swim from the shore. As you can see from the video you may be surprised by whats swimming around right under your nose.

This technique works great on most lakes (bar Foundry Dock which has quite a flat bottom) and works especially well on Presa.

Hope it provides some food for thought.

Simon

• Like Like x 1
  2. essoxlucious

essoxlucious Member

Hello GOrdOn Bennet.
    The baits have always moved on the PS4 but not as much as they do now after the latest update.
    Becomes a real issue when speed fishing in tournament mode.
    Fav lake St. John’s
    PS4

3. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

How do you find the movement between bed types? I am led to believe that wrong hook type on a bed means a lack of or no bites? I have experienced it to some degree myself where a bait has rolled from a silt bed (with a silt setup) onto a gravel area for example and I haven't realised. After time I have checked the rod as I have no bites for quite a while and then I obviously take note that I have the wrong hook for the now new bed (hope that makes sense!). I am not saying I haven't caught fish with the wrong hook type but it does seem to have a big impact on bite ratio! Do you agree or do you find it differently?

4. essoxlucious

essoxlucious Member

Trying to fish with the incorrect hook type definitely decreases the chances of getting a bite.
    I fish the “observatory “ with the chod rig & floating maggot in order to entice the roach in tournament
    Fishing, well, I used to, there is no point at all in using this method simply because the bait drifts out & into silt. Waste of time

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  5. ian

ian Member

bait drifting is a pain if your bait rolls on different bottom to set its very rare to get a bite fishing manor is like fishing a river

6. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

I have gone back to St Johns for now to be honest - Finally got into a couple of the larger catfish and even managed my first Boss bream across any water. Although it still has plenty of drift issues and finding your 75 yard cast to the weeds on the far bank has drifted 10 yards to the gravel and you have little hope of a bite now - Is quite frustrating... Sometimes the bait will stay still for a short while and with other rods out, you don't notice that since you last looked its moved!

7. CH40S23

CH40S23 Member

Is a real issue in tournaments. . . bites become almost pure luck plus once cast you cant move a bait as drift worsens plus you cant tweak a bait (u once could) as a tap on trigger yanks it a yard or 2 n creates inwards n sideways drift. . .i could go on, but guess will just sit back n wait for attempts at fixes. . . . . . .

8. Chizzckh

Chizzckh Active Member

Although the game had the dreaded on land bug which became so frustrating when pursuing those prize large catfish when I first downloaded it - This is becoming equally as frustrating now, it has also taken spodding out of the game as well to a certain extent. You now fish a zone rather than a spot most of the time, some waters its worse (bait floats back to my bank from the far) but it isn't right.