PC Tsw Not Very Simulative

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hollywoodjack, Mar 28, 2020.

1. hollywoodjack

hollywoodjack New Member

I find that TSW is not very simulative...I launch my trains at 185 km/h (120 mph) and nothing happens, they pass at these speed, even on the railway switches, without derailing...how is it possible?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

There are many areas where you could critique TSW's physics simulation, however I don't believe this is a very fair metric. Most train sims on the market don't truly simulate trains falling off the tracks at high speeds (with the exception of RailWorks, and to a lesser degree Trainz). Hell, Run 8 is even worse than TSW when it comes to having MOW units going 10,000 MPH and not batting an eye, and most people consider that sim the golden standard of railway physics simulations. In TSW there is some very rudimentary derailment physics that usually manifest itself when going over a bad switch, or hitting a buffer/car too hard.

• Like Like x 2
  3. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Well - some switches can take trains at 120mph.

Dynamic modelling of Y/Q or the unloading at the rail/wheel interface with high DQ/Q, isn't something that is strongly simulated in TSW, but if you 300% overspeed on tight curves/switches in TSW, even with the "derail at switches" function switched off*** , then you will get derailment - for example, coming out of the tunnel towards Huddersfield (NTP) there is a very tight radius curve on the station approach, which will trip you up if you hit at 60mph.

If you want to explore the joys of derailing trains, then you can do this in TS2020 (aka Railworks), which actively measures G force - and I can guarantee you that if you get a German ICE train onto the NEC route, then it will fly off the tracks and into the river, as you climb the curve towards the suspension bridge. But it's not a proper simulation of rail vehicle suspension, super-elevation, and wheel profile interaction - not by a long chalk...

Or you can get Derail Valley (on PC).

-----------------------------------
    ***NB: You can switch this on in the TSW settings

4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Gross exaggerations.

5. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

If you have TSx and the Faversham / Sheerness extension you can throw a consist into the Medway at Swale by going above about 75... Maybe TSW can't do this, probably due to licensing restrictions of quite realistic looking trains (if you squint a bit or have a low resolution on your phone) crashing into rivers
    Some people would find that a bit disturbing

• Like Like x 1
  7. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

Never thought of that, ARuscoe. That makes sense to me, and I can understand why.

8. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

This may be of particular interest to you because of your profile picture, but that's actually precisely the reason VIA didn't give DTG a license to re-release the VIA Rail P42 on Steam (it used to come in the original pack released by Rick Grout in 2012). VIA didn't want imagery of simulations of their trains derailing and crashing. Perhaps that is still true today?

• Like Like x 1
  9. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

Propensity to derail easily is perhaps one of the least important priorities for train simulation gameplay (as it ends the scenario....?) - although for heavy freight routes*** there is potential to have derail detection, as part of the driving game - and you could penalise riding the top of the rail, maybe.... (if they simulate suspension in the z-axis, which I don't think they really do.... in TSW....)......

I imagine... deep into the future... a train simulator that includes infrastructure and rolling stock management... wear on rails, permanent way renewals, wear on wheelsets and reprofiling..... overhaul... etc...., where derailment could become a variable to be managed/avoided, through maintenance.... maybe....

In the meantime, having an inability to derail (easily) is, quite frankly, a very good idea. I suspect Southern is already upset about East Coastway, and CN is livid about the Oakville fiasco.... the last thing we need is for DB to get upset about seeing one of their iconic DB BR 155s on fire, in a tunnel,... where no-one can hear the driver screaming.... because there is no sound on PS4........ ;-O

----------------------------
    ***NB: Off topic, and as an aside - I have found the CSX:HH route, on PC, to operate flawlessly on my PC. And considerably better than NTP (where PS4 is still much better than PC). And I found this to be quite a surprise, because CSX:HH was meant to be too much hard work for the PS4. CSX:HH (so far) seems to me to be quite a tidy simulation - so maybe Oakville has potential, if that is in a similar vein. Anyway - the performance variation (that I perceive) is route specific, when comparing platforms... I am still trying to get NTP to work cleanly on PC - I have eliminated the tearing (this was a sync issue), but the tile streaming is still completely Facebooked on NTP. It might be a MB RAM/buffering issue... so I might upgrade my (cheap) 2x8Gbs with a pair of decent 16Gbs at some point, and revisit NTP. I am also tempted to move TSW on PC from SSD to HDD (I have a sneaking feeling that downgrading might make the streaming work better...).

10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

How dare you try this? That you can do something stupid does not mean you should do it. You are very lucky you did not derail. But seriously, it is a game and it is about trying to do decent driving. You can't have it all.

11. NightNull

NightNull New Member

• Like Like x 1