PC [poll] How Do You Play Tsw ? Hud Or No Hud ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Yerolo, Apr 25, 2020.

?
  1. HUD

30 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. No HUD

26 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. A mix of the two

47 vote(s)
    45.6%
  1. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Something which I have thought about lately is how the majority of players like to play TSW.

Do you go for the full immersive experience....turning off all on-screen helpers and learn the route properly using track side signals / signs only or do you 'cheat' and play with the HUD turned on ?

I always tell myself that I want to get the most out of TSW and learn to play without the HUD...but I always tend to play with it turned on (laziness maybe?). I turn the HUD off for screenshots but that's not what this poll is about.

Alternatively do you play a mix of the two depending on the loco and route ?

• Like Like x 2
  2. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I would like to eventually play without the HUD, but I usually play right after work and just want to unwind and have some fun after a long day. It seems like too much trouble to learn the whole route and figure it all out just to play. Furthermore, I own all TSW routes and switch back and forth between them. I am starting to understand German signalling so I could see myself going HUD-less on a German route eventually.

• Like Like x 4
  3. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

On german routes, I turn off the next signal and next speed restriction indicators (in the top right off). What's left is the hud in the bottom right showing the current max. speed, amps drawn and that stuff. I also use PZB and SIFA, which means I have to pay attention and be able to read the signals. Reason for the speedometer is that I can never remember what the currently allowed speed is and I want to be somewhat on time. I also leave the indicator for the next stop activated, because there are simply to many routes to learn (at least for me, I like to switch around and not really stick to a certain route for a ling time).
    On UK and US tracks I leave everything on (except that I sometimes on US tracks turn off the next signal indicator when drivong with the manual next to me)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

One of the main issues I have with playing with no full HUD is the lack of some vital information to the driver such as timetable info or knowing which stations need to be stopped at....and when loading passengers, having so cues to when they have been loaded (In RL the guard would sound a buzzer to alert the driver when ready to depart) or there would be a CCTV feed showing the doors..I always have to quickly turn on the helpers to see this info.

Route learning and knowing where the stations are / knowing when to start slowing is pretty difficult without the HUD. I tried a Brighton - Seaford run without any HUD at all and overran most of the stations (but still ended up with a gold medal)

5. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The information on what stations to stop at and the times can be gained from scrolling through on the pause screen, or the in-game progress pop up (which is also scrollable on PC). You would still have to learn how long it takes for loading on that route and check your clock for when loading will have ended. Remembering where to stop from looking at the pause screen at the start of a service could be a challenge. You could always go to the trouble of writing a schedule on paper or a tablet and referring to that as you drive.

All the route learning is best done with the HUD on, as you say, especially as track signage is hard to read or simply not there for some routes. It takes the place of someone teaching you the route and the necessary route and service information a real driver would have access to.

With some freight runs or shunting activities, and scenarios, having at least some of the HUD on is almost always necessary, as vital info is relayed through it.

I’ve found that I can’t retain enough in my memory to drive without the HUD prompting me, although I do sometimes turn off some bits of it. There are too many routes to learn and I can’t even get one route learnt properly. So I mainly run with full HUD just to get the best enjoyment for myself and not have to worry about my diminishing memory skills.

6. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

I try and run without a HUD however I cant say I have managed to learn all the routes mainly RSN, HRR and GWE

I have found that the newer routes like HRR have in general more varied and better track side scenery this helps massively when trying to learn a route, as with some older routes sections of tracks can feel rather same same.
    I find the best way to try and ease into HUD less driving is to turn it all off besides the distant to next station in top left , this lets you focus on the track and landmarks without the blue arrow indicator. Also find running the same service type up and down the line in service mode can help the learning curve, once you have mastered one service move on. Its nice way to add a challenge to the game and extremely rewarding when you do eventually learn the routes as you then drive with a totally different flow and become far less reactive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Satiel

Satiel New Member

Try do drive with no HUD most of the time, when the route is too complicated with many unsignalled speed variations (LIRR) i tend to use the HUD, i would really like to get rid of the speedometer just to check the current speed limit.
    ECW is no HUD except when stopped at stations since there's no way to know when it's time to lock the doors and go.

8. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

On console for me its no HUD at any point

9. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Depending on route, I will like to play always without hud (more immersive as possible). But in several cases I use this basic hud setup: no markers on route but just some essential helps to see in time the dynamic red signals also because without mouse zoom sometimes its not easy to see our speed on the loco command panel, it depend on loco. My personal priority are: 1) top left: target distance (that's essential), 2) top right: in case of imminent/dynamic red signal like when an IA train travel in our track and we are too close to him (that's not essential but very helpful), 3) Hud on bottom right its just an optional, not too necessary as general (it depend on locomotive we are driving). Train Sim World® 2020-05-15 23-51-27.png .

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  10. Deebz__

Deebz__ Well-Known Member

HUD on. It's nearly pointless in some routes to play without the HUD, as vital information is missing without it. LIRR's lack of speed limit signs is one thing (although apparently this is realistic? IDK). Not to mention I have to question if some signal lights are accurately placed. Seems absurd to expect a real engineer to know what a signal is indicating when its around a blind corner, not visible until you are 50 ft away from it. This isn't a problem for someone using the next signal HUD though.

Not to mention it's pretty hard to know how to complete scenarios without popping it on every now and then. Kinda sucks too, because I'd much prefer to play properly without the HUD. This has been an issue with nearly every video game for a long time though. You aren't given proper directions anymore, like you were in MSTS or... I dunno, Morrowind too. In every game nowadays, you follow the magic arrow. This game is no different.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  11. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

With LIRR in particular, the thing that always annoys me is, last I checked, there is exactly ONE set of speed limit signs, marking the 30mph zone after Nostrand Avenue, heading into the tunnel before Atlantic Terminal.

I have never seen any speed limit signs anywhere else on the map. This might be prototypical, actually, thanks to the combination of fancy cab signalling that only half works in TSW and general driver route knowledge... but honestly I don't know and I wouldn't put it past DTG to screw this up.

EDIT: yeeep, looked it up, went and rewatched some cab view footage., and sure enough, there are supposed to be plenty more speed limit signs. Same style as the single pair that can be found in-game, meaning they had it modeled and everything... I suppose DTG cut that out because they were out of development time to finish placing them and, well, "the player has a HUD anyway." I kinda wish I COULD play on LIRR without HUD, I enjoy trying to on other routes.

TSW_A dude_1589569763_00.png

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  12. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

No choice to play with hud because of signals bugs :)

13. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I just have the "next goal" (top-left) active

14. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

There is another pair of speed limit signs right before Hicksville as well, 40mphs ones, but yes, the absence of track signs is pretty annoying. From IRL cab footage there doesn't seem to be too much speed limit signs on the route anyway, but there's definitely more than in game. Also in game we're missing the whistle posts as well before level crossings, even though they are definitely there IRL.

Though I think what confuses many people is that speed limits also change a lot on the route simply because of junctions and such when changing tracks, and I believe those don't have speed limit signs anyway, as the speed restriciton on them is shown vie the signals. For example often when switching tracks between Jamaica and Floral Park, the signal will give you a yellow, which means a 40mph limit I believe. The HUD will not tell you this as a speed limit, but the ATC will whine about it. Thing is, if you only rely on the HUD, it will be too late to slow down and you change tracks at 70mph on a 40mph section with the ATC beeping at you like crazy.
    Same with certain 30mph turnouts on the route. There is no speed sign on them, but they are shown as 30mph speed limits on the HUD, as the track piece is a limited speed section, but that speed limit realistically is only shown vie the signal over the tracks.

Also I believe the same is true about certain turnouts on the Peninsula Corridor route. There are many turnouts on that route that have a 40 or 45mph speed limit that is not shown via trackside signposts, but simply by ligh signals telling you to go with a restricted speed. But most of the times the HUD will not tell you about them in advance, because there is often a higher speed limit marker before them, so you'll see "Next speed limit: 79" and then suddenly bam, down to 40 in a 20 meters.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

By the way to answer the original question, I usually go with parts of the HUD turned off, but certain parts staying on.

I will usually turn off the next objective marker because it's ruining the view, but will keep the next objective distance marker on the upper-left corner to see when I need to stop, etc. I wil also turn off the totally useless score display from the upper right, and also the next signal display, as I prefer looking at the real signals on the route anyway, especially because very often the HUD signal display will simply say green even if it's a half-yellow or something else telling you to slow down a bit, etc. So looking at the real signals is not only more immersive, but also more helpful.
    I keep the next speed limit display, as it's useful when there are no proper speed signs along the track, and so do I keep the speedometer on the lower right, though I try to use the in-cab speedo if possible.

16. 37114

37114 Active Member

Preferably off for the immersion factor but on if I’m learning a route.