Tsw To Tsw2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JJTimothy, Jun 9, 2020.

1. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Pardon me if I'm being a little hard of thinking but the TSW2 announcement page didn't load correctly when I looked at it earlier so I may well have misread it. ...At least I hope so.

It appears that, having been presented as Dovetail's bold shiny new flagship train simulator opening things up for a bright future with years of development to look forward too, TSW is now being abandoned. No development, no new DLC, no promised editor, no upgrades, no future. Is it really the case that everyone who bought TSW, including me only a few months ago, is being pushed under the 'bus? Not even an upgrade path? That hardly seems credible.

Fortunately (at least for me) if that is the case I enjoy TS so much that I've never got around to exploring TSW and have logged less than an hour in it. Should be able to, and certainly would, get a refund.

2. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Id say that's a very fair assessment given the info and initial shock of the announcement. While your not been pushed to transition i totally understand the sentiment.
    to be honest i am on the fence, in one regard I would suspect there is some major short sightedness that went into the original design of TSW that has forced them down a rather tricky cost benefit analysis on simply moving on or trying to drag whatever technical hurdles they faced kicking and screaming into what there vision is now. So from a technical perspective i hope we are given enough details to understand the change and why TSW its self was not a suitable framework to build further on. From a consumer perspective i am now not sure why id want to invest in essential an updated version of the game i already own if it does not offer some clear advantages far above what the current version we already own does.

Id hope although completely conjecture that there will be a discounted price to owners of TSW.

Wait and see what Thursdays stream brings info wise but I think its fair to say this is a very bold and risky announcement and really hope DTG are able to clearly communicate why this is the best course of action going forward.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. felixinx

felixinx New Member

I completely understand that we have to pay to get new routes. I have bought many routes since 2017 because I think they are really great and it's a way for me to support DTG to build the editor, a feature that was supposed to be included with TSW and that I expected to use.

But now, they tell me I have to buy to get the editor? I feel betrayed.

I hope that there will be an option for a free upgrade to TSW2. I don't expect new content, I just expect to get what I buy.

It's like buying a new car, and two years later, you can't put gas in it.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

There is alot of uncertainty around....but the picture should become clearer over the next few weeks i feel. I'm sure many are wondering at the moment if the new features in TSW2 warranted a brand new product or they could have been implemented in TSW2020 as part of the annual refresh.

Alot of (good) questions regarding the transition from TSW2020 to TSW2 have already been posed and collated....the Q&A stream is certainly going to be very interesting.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  5. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

The new edition of TSW looks great. I just really hope that alot of the problems that occured in TSW/TSW2020 are ironed out in TSW2 (microstutters, lag, short routes, signal and cab bugs, etc...) I am definitely looking forward to the stream that will occur on Thursday. I can understand though that this new revamped stand alone application will be payware, as it appears, the # of features and advancements being made in TSW2 are more than enough alone for it to be payware instead of a freeware. Similarly with Trainz, each new version of the simulator has something new to bring to the table that more than likely cannot be bundled in an existing build, rendering it to be paid for.

• Like Like x 1
  6. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

my understanding of it is that tsw IS tsw 2020, that is 2020 was just a "pack" of routs. I have ALL the routs and locos and so when the 2020 pack came out there was literally nothing for me to buy. Also, they were referring to to it simply as "tsw" in the description. this leads me to believe that tsw1 was "rebranded" to 2020.

What is confusing for me though is this... split? tsw and tsw2?
    at first is sounded like they meant it is a "paid upgrade" from tsw/tsw2020 to tsw2,similar to how if you have TS2018 than you'd need to buy TS2020 to get the new upgraded features (but you dont have to and can stay with older 2018).... but than it got kinda confusing from there with different profiles and stuff. idk this seems like its raising more question than it answers.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  7. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

No, you will still be able to use tsw1/2020 with all the dlcs you bought for it, and all dlcs up to the release of tsw2 are compatible with tsw1/2020. nothing will change for you if you do not "move up" to tsw2. it's not like suddenly it won't work anymore. you don't have to worry about that.

8. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

It's not really confusing at all. Think of it like Windows 7 to Windows 10. Users could stay on Win7 if they wanted but to get all the additional features and niceities such as DX12, they had to upgrade to Win10. Then games started releasing requiring Win10/DX12, which is comparable to new TSW DLC going forward requiring TSW2. Eventually support for Win7 ended and to get the latest updates you were in effect forced to go to Win10.

There would have been certain features MS would have loved to implement in Win7 in the beginning, but due to various technical reason they didn't happen and came to fruition in Win10 instead.

I know MS offered a free upgrade from 7 to 10 for a limited time, so its not a 1:1 comparison....but it's the same concept.

• Like Like x 2
  9. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

I mean I understand the "upgrade" as a whole actually, but its the "profile" split thats confusing to me. one for TSW and a new one for tsw2?? I mean my initial understanding was that my achievements and scores and completions would migrate into 2 as well... but... no??

10. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Just think of it as 2 seperate games with 2 seperate profiles....the routes being available in TSW2 are imported in as legacy routes (How this works I am sure will be answered in the Q&A stream). Save data, achievements etc I never expected to carry over as they are seperate titles as far as Steam is concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  11. saint.russian

saint.russian Member

Thanks. atm im not sure how i feel about this than. IMO they couldv'e had everyone seamlessly "migrate" into 2 in a similar manner like a "shell upgrade" in TS, and no one would know. Imagine the riot in forums if people bought TS2018 and 2 years later they split and abandon TS18 and move on to a separate new TS20 with a new shell, but kept TS18 as well? people would be like... WTF DT?
    I will wait and hope for some good explanations

• Like Like x 2
  12. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

One line from the TSW2 FAQ reads:

It's not impossible in the future they find a way to upload all TSW2020 data to DTG Live and import into TSW2 (inc. save data & achievements) rather than rely on Steam. This is only my theory anyway...I think we may find out alot more on this after the Q&A stream/s

13. JJTimothy

Well if you were on a sinking ship and there was a £20 lifeboat use fee you wouldn't have to pay it.

Is that the fault of all the users who have been handing over their money for the last few years though?

It's not a new vision though. TSW2 just sounds like the program TSW was always supposed to be. Maybe I've been spoiled by getting the updates for TS but I don't see why this is isn't just an update. A major update to be sure but so was 64 bit in TS- huge and totally unexpected.

As I mentioned the announcement page was a complete mess when I looked at it- didn't load properly and wouldn't reload at all so I freely admit I could have missed something so can you mention a new feature? Not the editor or anything else that TSW has been supposed to get as part of its development obviously.

But we don't have to pay for updates to the core program in TS- in fact there's not much you can do to stop them getting installed as a matter of routine and why would you want to? It's great for the users. I can see that has benefits for Dovetail of course, if everyone is using the same core program it makes support easier, but isn't that an argument in favour of not splitting off a new program?

I don't recall Windows 7 being sold in an incomplete state on the promise that fundamental new features were in development for it then just being dropped (that was Vista :D).

Dovetail did some of this with the 64 bit upgrade which a few in the forums said they'd be willing to pay for- except they didn't have to because Dovetail distributed it like any other update and have carried on supporting TS like 'tweren't nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I was able to load the announcement page with no problem. I am not saying anything about new features. I mentioned that I understand though DTG's reasoning for making this a new standalone application that requires a fee, rather than simply upgrading to this for free. I am looking forward to the stream tomorrow as I am sure, all of our questions will be answered more than likely.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JJTimothy

Seems there's a 14 days thing as well as the two hours thing so I've asked for a refund but it looks like I'm stuck. The annoying thing (the other annoying thing) is that, the way I budget things, this is money I'd have spent on Train Simulator.

16. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

I'll store that info in my little brain for future use...