PC Due And Time All Wrong?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by J van E, Sep 25, 2017.

1. J van E

J van E Member

Just finished a service. The times I got after finishing seem to be wrong:

Station 1: DUE 12.50, arrived 12.48.51, TIME (after finishing service) says 12.51
    Station 2: DUE 12.54, arrived at 12.53.22, TIME says 12.55
    Station 3: DUE 12.57, arrived at 12.56.37, TIME says 12.57

What exactly do those DUE and TIME columns mean? I presumed DUE shows the time you should ARRIVE (which seems to be correct) and TIME shows the time you actually arrived (which seem to be completely wrong)?

Another question: the DUE times ofter are different than the ones the timetable shows. Why is that?

2. CaptHart

CaptHart New Member

My understanding is that the TIME time is actually currently tracking the depart time, which is generally 60 seconds after the real arrival time due to passenger loading.

3. J van E

J van E Member

Correct. I already posted this in another topic but forgot I started a topic about it myself too LOL

4. Sime

Sime New Member

I had exactly the same question when playing GWE Scenario 1 "Down the Line" - The Platform 14 Scenario.

Surely this is a bug? Using this timing actually means it's impossible to hit the due time on 5 out of the 7 stations! This is putting me off playing since its not possible to tick the scenario off.

5. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Isn't 60 seconds (i.e.: 1 minute) pretty ridiculous as a passenger loading time? When and where do passengers have one minute to board or get off of the train? And please don't cite Japan!

6. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

I agree, 1 minute is way to long. I think on a busy route like Paddington - Reading boarding times should be shorter.
    On the S-Bahn mainline in Munich for example are going 30 trains per hour trough the tunnel.
    You have around max. 30 seconds boarding time in the rush hour, taking longer will result in delays in the schedule.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  7. Pure nostalgia

Pure nostalgia Member

The only trains i have ever seen that stop at a station for less than 60 seconds, is on the London Underground, my opinion is just the opposite, timings for stops at stations are too short and not realistic.

8. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Current timings for the HST with slam door stock are 3 to 4 mins and they lock the doors 30 secs before the scheduled departure time to try to keep to schedule. I believe the target for the new IEP with power doors is nearer to 90 secs.I don't know what the timings are for class 166 but they're probably in the region of 1 to 2 mins.

IRL boarding time is going to be variable depending on time of day and how well the train is running to schedule but I can understand the difficulties of trying to code that type of thing whilst not boring players who are forced to twiddle their thumbs during the stop.

9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Good heavens, Daniel. I was thinking just the opposite, that 1 minute is too short, but then, I know nothing about what happens in Munich. Even in Tokyo, when I went there in 1969 on R&R from Saigon, passengers had more than 1 minute to get on or off the trains. Does "30 trains per hour through the tunnel" equate to a certain amount of time for boarding/getting off?

10. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

They are now trying to use "enforcers" in Munich to keep the boarding times at max. 30 seconds. So 1 minute is a very loooong time for boarding in commuter trains.
    The 30 trains per hour is in ONE direction in Munich, so every 2 minutes is a train stopping at the platform in the rush hour. And even that is not enough as the trains are now at maximum capacity in the rush hour. That's why they started to build a second tunnel under the city for the S-Bahn trains. But it will be finished in like 10 years from now.
    I don't know how much people are using the trains in London but I think London is a more busy city then Munich so I don't think the trains will stop much longer.

Here is a link to it:
    http://www.s-bahn-muenchen.de/s_muenchen/view/aktuell/reisendenstromlenker-faq.shtml

Google translator:
    In the case of a strictly cycled traffic of up to 30 trains per hour on the main route, it is necessary to maintain a maximum holding time of 30 seconds per S-Bahn at the platform. So in the test phase, so-called people's turnarounds will be used mainly at the main traffic times at the station main station (low).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  11. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Well, maybe someone with local knowledge and experience using GWR can let us know how long they take loading passengers?

• Like Like x 1
  12. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Have a look at Realtime Trains for an impression of stopping patterns. Take this train for example, today's 17:25 from London Paddington to Banbury.

As you can see in the WTT (Working Timetable) column it's scheduled for a minute stop at most stations, but some get shorter stops (half a minute). The Realtime column shows the progress of the train as it passes timing points along the route.

Given that the driver hasn't been able to claw back any time between Paddington and Reading (having departed Paddington 4 minutes late) I'm assuming that the times shown under Realtime are the bare minimum needed to allow passengers to board and alight from the train.