Repackaging Tsw2020 German Locos To Get Tsw 2 To The Same Variety Of Services

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by raildan, Jun 12, 2020.

1. raildan

raildan Well-Known Member

Since it has already been confirmed that there will be no use of TSW2020 trains on TSW2 routes, that opens up a lot of opportunities for DLC for... KS? Is that the proper acronym? Or KAS?

Anyway, the trick here is that some of the trains that run on the route are already in TSW2020 yet cannot be used again like they have in the past. And you can't just... resell the trains as slightly upgraded DLC, then you'll get tons of community backlash.

There are 3 sets of trains that drive on this route that would have to be dealt with like this: the BR 423 (NOT in the game already, but VERY close to the BR 425) on S-Bahn services as far as Düren, the BR 146 and Doppelstock to substitute for the Talent 2 cars, and the Br 185 for freight. So, if we want to run these services, surely it would make sense to upgrade/rebuild these engines, with full TSW 2 features but surely some time savings from reusing the model and everything, as was done with the CSX ones, to allow continued use of these driving cabs the community has grown so familiar with. But how?

There are 2 options: make new routes that use these trains, so they can appear as reused rolling stock to people, and then add a service layer if you have that route. For the BR 423, you need a route with a class 423 (and something else new, of course). for the BR146 and Doppelstock, you need a route with a BR146 and Doppelstock (and, again, something new). For the BR 185, you need... well, pretty much any German route with freight. AS you can see, this doesn’t really limit your options in most cases, as these are pretty common trains. The pro here is that people will probably be more willing to pay for these trains again then from the second option- the con is that it's more work on your end, and it may be several years before we see the same level of variety in services again.

The second option is to re-release the DLC as loco DLC for KAS as part of larger packs of two. There is precedent for 2 driving cabs in one loco DLC, and these would largely feel similar to the BR Heavy Freight Pack. Fortunately, the services these trains run are also run by other locomotives, leading to reasonable mini-packs:

- The "S-Bahn Commuter" pack, with the BR 423 and the new (well, older IRL) BR 420

- The "RegioExpress" pack, with the BR 146 and the new (again, older IRL) BR 120 (which technically no longer runs these services, but only since a couple years ago, so it's ok)

- The "DB Mainline Freight" pack, with the BR 185 and the new... engine of your choice, maybe a BR 189 or a Vectron or something.

Or, perhaps a combination of the two approaches could be used, with one or two of these being made as part of a loco pack and one or two of these being made as part of a route. The ideal mix would probably be making the "S-Bahn Commuter" and "DB Mainline Freight" loco packs, while the BR 146 and Doppelstock are instead included in the next German route. The reasoning for this is that the BR 146, BR 120, and Doppelstock together make up 3 driving cabs, which is 1 too many for a loco DLC as seen so far. It is also the only one of these DLC that wouldn't be adding new services, only substituting existing Talent 2 ones, and no route DLC has added services to an OLDER route so far. Basically, the BR 146 is the only one that doesn't make sense as a loco DLC and does make sense as a part of a route DLC. So... overall, I would think this would be the best option.

...yes, I came up with most of this while I was writing and didn't really plan this short proposal ahead very well. But, meh, it kinda gets the idea across. Maybe I'll come back and edit more details and pictures of the specific loco DLCs that would be added under this plan- namely, the BR 423, BR 420, BR 185 and BR 189 OR BR 193. AND there are a few loco DLC that could work on their OWN and provide a unique experience on this route, like maybe a diesel BR 643, which maybe deserve their own thread. But... I'm already supposed to be doing something else right now, so… :P

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

i thought this same thing, while thinking how to proprose to bring old tsw stock to new core game... scince im happy with the announcment, not beeing able to use old stock hurts me... :(

• Like Like x 3