Great British Railway Journeys - Upgrades?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doomotron, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I was looking at the reviews for GBRJ on Steam and saw some people say that there has been 'fixes' and visual upgrades to the base TS2020. Is this true?

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I actually don't get why this is even a separate product. Having bought the Humble Bundle, I already own one or two routes, and later bought Portsmouth for $5. Yet the package is still $60, even when the total cost of the items inside is less than that. This does not make sense, and I don't understand what would actually be included separately from this. I looked up an episode of the featured show on Youtube and it reminded me of the style from Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives visiting various places, but with an old guy on a train and having to do with the places visited, not the train. Meh, just go in a classic top-down convertible.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you compare it with TS2020 the big difference is NO routes from outside the UK
    When you buy TS20xx you end up with routes from 3 countries - even if you are only interested in one or two routes.
    I unticked the NS route that came with TS2020 as I don't wish to potter along a US route

And the reason behind this pack it is a tie in to the BBC Program who would have had something to do with it.

Peter

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Were there not specific scenarios created for this package then?

(Genuine question as I don't know and just wondered)

5. Cyclone

Similar to what Reef said, yes, what exactly DOES this package give you besides the routes? It's nearly a $90 savings off full retail route prices ($148.95 - 59.99 - again, unless you own any) to have...what? Do you get episodes of the series in the package to watch on your computer? Do you get a scenario pack? Or is it just an advertising ploy that, frankly, is a waste of the showmaker's effort (especially to those outside the UK)?

To be clear, you can also buy Great British Railway Journeys by itself for $59.99, without any routes. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would do this instead of getting the route package. Meanwhile, best-ever recorded sale prices (assuming Canadian dollars, which is where the $59.99 comes from): $18.19 (Portsmouth, 60% off) + $11.37 (Chatham, 75% off) + $4.19 (Carlisle, 70% off) + $5.49 (Ipswich route, 75% off) + $6.54 (GreenManGaming claiming the best on Peterborough, a recent sale I apparently missed at 70% off) = $45.48, which is $14.51 lower than the cost of the entire package (yes, I checked in CAD), and I already got Chatham in a bundle, and Portsmouth from another version's key, so I will still save a bundle more just waiting for sales anyway. Why should anyone buy the package? It has to be bought at retail price, you can't own any of the routes, and even then you're leaking money.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The route is not aimed at people who already have the game but at people who might be interested in the game.
    Nobody in their right mind would buy this add-on because the parts of it are available Cheaper

The other thing you missed off your Rant - you don't have to buy TS2020 to run this game as it is a Stand Alone product
    Like the West Somerset Railway add-on it too is a Stand Alone product made in association with the WSR.

And who would have thought that you could buy things Cheaper in a Sale that buying the Package that is Not in the Sale :o :o

Peter

7. Ighten

Ighten Member

Never mind all those simple (if not obvious) facts - how dare you call Portillo an old man..

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cyclone

Why are you assuming that was a rant? I was pointing out facts asking why this is even a thing given everything relevant can be had cheaper. It's true that it's a stand-alone product, but just get the game and get the routes to go with it, then you have at least one more route with it from the UK and a couple others to check out. No point getting a separate stand-alone only to replace it later.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of things that you can buy that come in a set to encourage people to buy the product.
    Train Sets are a good example where you get a loco, train and controller in one box - if it is something you like then you find out where to buy more and what is available.

No different to the person who might see this British Railway Journey package in a Bookshop where other BBC Products are sold.
    Or the man at the WSR who finds he can buy a virtual version of the route and he does not need anything else to run it.

Why did I say it was a Rant.?
    Because having pointed out the cost of this Add-on you then went thru all the different prices something could have been bought at in the past at all the different outlets- for what reason? That was then not now.

Peter

10. Cyclone

Actually, there are good odds in about a week and a half that the total price of the routes will be lower, and you can get the base game with a few MORE routes even cheaper, so my comment on "who would buy the package?" compared to getting the five routes on sale and the base game for maybe $20, which is $5 more than only the package by itself, holds water.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think you are still missing the point - It is Not aimed at people who already play the game
    You are saying you can go to different websites and buy stuff for the game

How is the man in the street who seen this advertised and never had a train sim supposed to know all that stuff?
    People in the past have bought Add-ons from other sites without realising they then had to buy the base game.

Peter

12. Cyclone

Eh, I guess I can see that. But they could advertise the package including the base game and give even more value with that, not embed a logo in a different stand-alone version. That's more my point here.

Of course, the next thing to be said is that's why it's cheaper in the first place, and why would people in Britan be attracted to the N-Line...LOL

13. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Because they have an interest in railways outside the UK? Because they like variety in their simulation? Because they like being exposed to different signalling and operational practices? Because they like scenery other than the UK's?

I'm British, but these are all reasons I like overseas stuff in addition to UK. I expect I'm not alone.

14. Cyclone

I didn't mean you specifically, those are just questions I can see being asked. To be fair, Britain players are probably THE most interested out of all in external railway activities to their own; the problem is Britan's is the most active and most lively. The most we have in Canada is subways and the systems in major city areas between several related cities (like between cities in the Greater Toronto area, linking Mississauga, Scarborough, etc. to the big city, in addition to their subway). Much of Canada's activity is freight, but there is some passenger.