There Will Not Be An Editor In Tsw 2

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Random Railfan, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

I am watching the Q&A stream, and Sam just announced that there will be no editor. I'm actually quite disappointed after hearing more about the game. It's not really living up to my expectations and it's starting to feel more and more like TSW 1. Hopefully things will improve with the next stream.

• Like Like x 1
  2. NightNull

NightNull New Member

I think they ment TSW 1

3. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

I’m shocked but thanks for Matt for blatantly lying and stringing us along “no news on the editor”, “when there is news we’ll update you”, “still in testing”.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 3
  4. 37114

37114 Active Member

Do they mean no editor in TSW2 or no editor ever? He kind of quickly backtracked and said 'tools' and these are the first of them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

I think you missed the 2nd part of Sams answer:
    There will not be an editor as one, complete, dedicated tool.
    DTG will be releasing different tools, each with their own functionality. 2 parts will be released together with TSW2:
    - the livery editor
    - the scenario editor
    Both are tools which, by the sound of the stream, will be quite sophisticated and do a lot of the things which people have asked for.
    So I would imagine that other tools will follow, including a track editor for you to create maps. Then go to the livery editor, paint your stuff. Finally go to the scenario editor and put all your trains on your map.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  6. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

My impression was that they mean no full editor.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. NightNull

NightNull New Member

I agree with your thoughts, maybe they will be releasing it as seperate programs that you can launch and then import the things you have created in to the game. Kind of like what Valve has done with their source editors.

He did mention on the stream though about memory usage etc. I am not sure about that and how it would impact the "customizability"

• Like Like x 1
  8. SaMa1

SaMa1 Active Member

The given statement was clearly improvised by Sam alone and I would wait Matts definitive answer for it in future streams.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Random Railfan

But we still can't create/modify routes. I think that's how most users interpret "editor," but I do agree that the livery and scenario editors are excellent additions.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Random Railfan

I forgot where I read it but I know one of the devs mentioned that the editor is very complex and hard to use, so that might be why we won't get one.

11. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

To clarify my answer (it was needed because it somehow escaped the list - I've no idea how, it just did) the editor is not a dead entity. There are plans for the editor, work has been done and is continuing to be done but we are committing to absolutely nothing.

Until there is an editor for public release, there is no editor.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  12. 37114

37114 Active Member

Okay, so I read that as until you've got Transport Fever out of your head, there is no editor.

• Like Like x 5
  13. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

They don't want us to get our hopes up. By telling us there is no editor, when it does come out, we'll be pleasantly surprised. If it doesn't come out, well, they told us there is no editor.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Please do not create confusion again. Yesterday you said No, there will be no editor. Which is very clear. We will get two tools on short notice, and of course DTG and third party developers will need all kind of complex tools, but no editor for us, the fans. I still feel a bit disappointed, but I am glad it is said and hopefully someday we will get a nice surprise.

Saying NO is extremely difficult, I know that and I really hope Matt will say no internally a lot more, to get full focus on the things that can be done. Looking forward to see the roadmap...

• Like Like x 2
  15. spsimon285

spsimon285 New Member

Complex and Hard to use, should not mean that we don't get one.

What I have seen of the Editor, on the videos, looked pretty appealing to me (what maps you can use, control of tracks and grades etc), and YES, it maybe complicated, but the fact it doesn't intimidate ME, doesn't mean the same for everyone, other people might find it intimidating, to an extent where they just say "oh crap, this is too hard, I don't understand any of this its all above me", and just give up.

But maybe NOT so much the case, if there is proper documentation, Tutorials, examples etc...

• Like Like x 1
  16. spsimon285

spsimon285 New Member

I hope it is NOT dead. Until it comes out, I wont be buying TSW 2020 or TSW 2.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  17. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

For Pete's sake. Until they're ready to release something they're going to say it doesn't exist. They're trying to remove ambiguity and the hopes that people have built up, so in the video they say several times, "if it's not ready now, say no", and that's true throughout the video.

In otherwords the editor is not there now. Anyone who wants to ask "But does that mean it never will...". Just Stop...
    All we know is that on release TSW2 will not have a public editing suite. Anything after that belongs on the "pie in the sky" thread
    What we do know TSW2 will have is a scenario builder and a repaint builder. But that nothing from either has a mechanism in game for sharing

• Like Like x 2