Why Can't We Use The Old Locos And Routes With The New Scenario Planner?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by oliverlacey2704, Jun 14, 2020.

1. oliverlacey2704

oliverlacey2704 Member

What a waste of time and money if we can't use that planner on routes like West Somerset! And why would you buy the class 20 out next week.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

My educational guess would be because the routes and trains would have to be totally remastered (like they're doing with CSX: Heavy Haul) and that would cost time and therefore, money.

As you say, it does put a damper on the class 20 coming out.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JohnnyK98

JohnnyK98 Well-Known Member

With this new engine update, you simply can't copy and paste TSW routes into TSW2.
    They would have to rework them from the ground-up.
    Sad truth, but I'm all for advancing the train simulation experience. And to be quite honest, I'm quite happy with the routes I currently own, and will continue to enjoy them well after TSW2 gets released.

4. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

That might be the case with routes... although they could develop a work-flow to handle that fairly easily.

But this is absolutely not the case with the rolling stock - the rolling stock would need minimal alteration/re-scripting.

• Like Like x 1
  5. oliverlacey2704

oliverlacey2704 Member

That's fair enough but I'd love to be able to put the 101 into the WSR route for example

• Like Like x 1
  6. oliverlacey2704

oliverlacey2704 Member

I don't think they would need to be remastered, so what if the loco or route looks old or whatever, it can't be that hard to sort something out, especially since we've all spent a lot of money on add ons

• Like Like x 1
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It might not be as minimal as you think, we don’t really know. How many bits of rolling stock are there in TSW? At a rough guess I’d say there was about 60 separate items. There are 30ish powered traction models. Even with a smaller amount of work that’s an awful lot when it’s all added up. Then it all needs testing on various routes for them to be included in scenario planner. I’m not making excuses for DTG but you can see why they aren’t doing it, considering their stance on moving forwards.

Of course, in the new scenario planner the consists are all going to be pre-made as well, so they could choose a select number to convert, instead of every piece of rolling stock, as we are not going to be able to change the consists given to us anyway. They might update some TSW stock as and when they require them for new TSW2 routes coming out, at which point they will become useable in the scenario planner. Who knows?

8. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Yeah - I do get this argument. And non-zero is non-zero. Plus, if doing non-zero work gets in the way of a future easy re-sale, then it becomes even less attractive. Also, if the whole project is done on a corner cutting basis, then it's a corner-cut that is easy to choose.

My overall view is simple:

TSW is not TS1. You do not get to own loco TSW DLCs in the same way as you do in TS1 - when you get loco DLCs in TSW, they are heavily restricted on use - I was totally burned on the Class 33 and Class 52.

You might be required to buy the same loco DLC multiple times - I was totally burned on the Class 08, Class 47 and Class 101, as well as a few other US/DE locos.... That is just the deal with TSW (and TSW2) - and then it is up to you whether you buy into it or leave it well alone.

• Like Like x 2
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.