Community Manager, Reporting For Duty

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself!' started by DTG Protagonist, Jun 5, 2020.

1. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Hi all, I am your new community manager.

We're still working to hire a permanent replacement for Dmitri, but we don't want you to feel like you're not being heard while the search continues. I'm here to make sure that your feedback and concerns are delivered to the development team and company as a whole.

It's possible that you know me already by other names as I'm regularly on the Railfan TV schedule - Sam, or Colonel Failure depending on your preference. The reason for this additional nom-de-plume is that I wear several different hats. My aim when streaming is to show that expertise and seriousmindedness are not a pre-requisite to being able to enjoy rail simulation, so I play as I do when on my own time - finding fun above all else.

I'm here to make sure you are heard and that you are properly represented with the people who are responsible for your game.

This doesn't mean that every request will be acted upon. It does mean that every request, no matter how nuanced, will be heard by those that make the decisions. Sometimes there will be feedback, often there won't be, but you are being heard and your concerns are taken seriously.

My aim is to ensure that conversations here are civilised, and that anyone who has something to say can do without fear of being flamed. Disagree by all means but please respect the individual on the other end of the screen.

Good.

I'm getting up to speed on conversations that are underway, and will be doing some spring cleaning as I go. I'll be here every day - I'll also appear in other places where the game is being discussed, so don't act surprised when I turn up. One step at a time...

-Protagonist

• Like Like x 5
  2. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Is this some sort of a joke...?

Are you actually expecting anyone to take you seriously....?

Is being a Community Manager really a role suited to a comedy act....?

Do you know what the timescale is to properly replace Dmitri - a genuinely hard act to follow....?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  3. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

4. Plastic Pal

Yeah. That is a shorter way of asking the same set of questions....

Imagine you have had your house burgled (or burglarised....?) and you turn up to Court to give evidence, hoping to see the burglar get convicted, because as he stole your TV he also smashed the urn that contained your Great-Aunt's ashes.......

.... and then you see that the judge is one of the characters out of Monty Python. It would be a real confidence shatterer.

Now don't get me wrong - I really like Monty Python. And I have absolute respect for anyone that has comedy as part of their trade... But you really don't want Groucho Marx.... or any of his brothers..... to be put in any sort of position that has any sort of responsibility attached to it.

I also have no problem with Sam doing this role... per se.... and I can in no way pre-judge his competence in this regard... but I just wish that he hadn't told anyone that it was him..... because that sort of massively undermines any of his future comments and actions, and any confidence that you might have that he could actually represent the concerns of Forum members in any serious way at all.

So again... I ask.... is this some sort of a joke....?

5. DTG Protagonist

So, to provide some background. Prior to my well known online video work, which exists as a form of entertainment for those who enjoy such things, I'd be a community manager in the games industry for 15 years. This is why I'm using my professional username rather than that of my video alter-ego.

Community management exists to provide those who play the game the ability to communicate with those who make it, and vice versa. That's what I'm here to do. If you have concerns or feedback, I'll make sure they're properly passed on to the development team, and where possible that you receive a response.

Words are all well and good, and I'd anticipated a level of skepticism, so my only request is to extend the same benefit of the doubt you would for anyone else taking on a role like this.

To address one comment, Plastic Pal, I felt it was important to be honest and declare the pseudonym up front, rather than conceal something that may have been problematic later.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Either way Sam it is great to have you aboard.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Plastic Pal

Ah okay. In that case.... I have disabled my sceptism chip for now.... And I hope that you will get promoted to General Success. ;-)

EDIT: I think that I would have found it more comforting if your introduction mentioned your actual professional experience, rather than resting on the Colonel Failure... um... "character" experience.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Seems like you've pre judged already.
    Your analogies don't work either.
    And welcome Sam.

• Like Like x 2
  9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Sam.

It is best to be upfront on this forum as I am sure we all agree!

I think I need a new irony meter a previous post has just caused mine to explode!

10. Plastic Pal

Well, it seems from Sam's subsequent posts that the "Colonel Failure" persona is in fact, just an act. Once you know that for sure, and assuming that this act wasn't a key feature dominating his fifteen years of professional experience in games community management, then there is certainly absolutely no reason to pre-judge..... as I have already indicated. Actually, the prospect of having Sam here looks incredibly promising.

Until I knew about the professional experience (unmentioned in the introductory precis), all that I had to go on was the reference to Colonel Failure - and I don't know if you have seen any of these videos.... well... they are actually sort of funny... in a late Benny Hill sort of way..... and Sam clearly has a sense of humour.... but those videos are not in any way professional or politically correct. You wouldn't want that "character" involved in any sort of Customer Service role representing your company, formally or informally, where, for example, you'd have to deal with different genders and gender identities, etc...., or where you'd expect any sort of technical competence in execution of the role.

Thankfully, it appears that the somewhat hapless, slightly sexist, and prone to rambling monologue "Failure" character isn't necessarily going to be reflective of the future service that will be provided by Sam on these Forums... as it turns out that the "Failure" thing is just a bit of a side-show.

#metoo

11. DTG Protagonist

I see we're going to get on famously, Plastic. I'm not sure where you got sexism from, it certainly isn't in my style, but you're entitled to your view.

Everyone else, thanks for the welcome.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Plastic Pal

Yeah - we should do. I quite like Benny Hill - he was actually quite a genius. Bob Monkhouse always spoke very fondly of him, and Bob was an ultra-comedy genius that really didn't hand out compliments unless they were well-earned through hard graft and sheer talent. I have very much enjoyed some of your Colonel Failure videos, including your various comments as you pass the passengers, etc., in TSW. Very entertaining!

Maybe I just miss Dmitri.... Maybe it's a "dealing with change" issue on my part..... Who knows....?

Anyway - as I said - your tenure looks very promising. I think that's a compliment. Well - it was meant to be one....! Enjoy....!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I'm not sure you're a good fit for this role at all..

Perhaps you'd be better suited as a tutorial writer for Derailed Valley?

Welcome aboard Sam (aka DTG Mousewheel). ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

Hello Sam. I'm glad you're running things for a while. I'm not familiar with Colonel Failure's streams, but I think your humour will match mine: I always fancied using the name Major Defect, but settled for something more serious.

It will great to be interacting with someone who has a passion for TS2020, both in and out of work.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Never would I have thought Sam would be our interim manager, and I'm pleasantly suprised! As an avid viewer of his TSW videos, this is definitely going to be an interesting ride.

Welcome, and I hope you have a great time as a community manager!

16. thatsn0moon

thatsn0moon Member

Hello Sam,

I'm new here too - in fact seeing you on the stream the other day as the new community manager is the reason I've signed up.

I often enjoy your gameplay videos and sense of humour. I also notice in your videos that you seem to have a genuine interest in the games that you play and as such I feel having you as a community manager (even if it is interim) will be a big benefit. I look forward to hearing from you more in future.

All the best,

thatsn0moon

17. trainnick77

trainnick77 Member

Sam, glad you are here, no chance you could take on the community Managers role permanently?

I would love a reply to this, as you are probably aware there are a number of broken scenarios in TS2020, which make it impossible to obtain achievements. I have submitted numerous support tickets, but nothing ever gets done. Will the broken scenarios ever get sorted?

Please stay the community manager permanantly