Ntp Class 47

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hairyscotsman40, Jun 15, 2020.

1. hairyscotsman40

hairyscotsman40 Member

Credit where credit is due. It’s taken a long time but was really pleased to see today’s update, ostensibly in prep for the Chopper update, has provided a fix for the underpowered Duff in NTP. . Well done DG and thanks

2. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

But i still cant get to manchester without the crashing at miles platting...

3. hairyscotsman40

hairyscotsman40 Member

Feel your pain bro. I just have to content myself with saving as I come along the straight towards it, suffering the crash then re-loading to finish in to Manchester. Not good. :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

And you are sure that this only started happening after you installed the Heavy Freight pack... and that after that it started to crash the 45, 47 and 101 on passenger duty (when this did not happen before....)...?

If the above is true - then that is a very very specifc fault on XBox that could possibly be tracked down - as it would only come from one source - the Heavy Freight pack DLC, making some sort of change to the NTP route itself.

So - question is - are you sure...?

5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I don't think it's related to the Heavy Freight pack as I don't own it and the game still crashes for me at Miles Platting.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. Plastic Pal

Okay - this is clearly a widely reported bug on XBox, for NTP. Is there any way it can be narrowed down....? Which XBox do you use.....?

*crosses fingers* - I hope... maybe... maybe TSW2 might fix this... with the later engine.... maybe.....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Northerner

I use the standard Xbox one. Also, the game only seems to crash when driving services from Leeds to Manchester and not in the other direction.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Interesting that the journey can be completed from a reload. There's a lot of scenery that loads as you approach that area (and I think DTG know it's a memory problem), it would seem from the save game the next tile has already loaded allowing you to continue.

Perhaps prior to the point where you know it usually crashes you could bring up the map just for a little while until you're past that section. It might then load the scenery in the background without the sudden screen pop up. Worth a try.

Edit: I should add I'm on PS4 pro and have never had a problem - so I can't test my theory out.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve never had this problem on PS4 so it definitely sounds like an Xbox One specific glitch.

10. Plastic Pal

This is a work-around (saving the game) that very many will find useful.

So it sounds like on XBox, that previous map tiles are clogging up the memory.... and the Miles Platting tiles are the straws the break the camel's back (except when you load from a save).

As an aside - and I really don't want to suggest this...... (because it is used as an excuse far too much).... but since this is an issue where your system is just on the edge of failing (and then failing).... is there anything you can do to your XBox to improve general performance.... like clear some HD space, defrag, switch off the internet, clear the cache.... etc. If you do this, and can then successfully run into Manchester (or not)... then that would be extremely useful for everyone to know....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. Northerner

Okay, thanks for the advice. I'll give your suggestions a go and see if it solves the issue.

12. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I have the oldest PS4 you can buy and rarely experience an NTP crash. Could it be that overheating, dust, or the amount of storage left on your HDD is a factor? Im not saying its the root cause, but could be the difference between a stutter and fail.

13. Plastic Pal

I think it is primarily the way the PC/XBox handles data for the GPU (and the multi-tile build at MP) that brings this issue near to the surface. This section is very shaky on a very powerful PC. PS4 has more efficient ways of handling this sort of data..... even... shock horror.... the older PS4s.... ;-)

But yes - I think you are right - there could just be a few tweaks that will bring an original XBox back under the tipping point. Maybe.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Northerner

After following this advice, I cleared the cache and uninstalled some games so my storage is now 50% full when it was 95%. I drove a service which had crashed on me before and I was able to complete it in one run without it crashing at Miles Platting. So it seems that clearing the cache and clearing some storage space does work. Thanks for the help.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Plastic Pal

Thanks for publishing the result of your test - this should hopefully help many people (if it is repeatable).

--------------
    As an aside: As a general rule of thumb (that I have used for 30 years...), any physical drive that is above 90% full could actually just be considered as completely and dangerously full.

In the old days, if you pushed a HDD above 90% capacity, then you ran a very serious risk of complete HDD failure and the complete loss of all of your data. PC based systems also lean on the HDD for virtual memory (a slow substitute for RAM)... and if the HDD has to work hard to find free gaps then you'll get a massive slow-down.... and if it tries to look for gaps that aren't there, then the software will crash.... especially if it doesn't have extremely cleverly designed memory management.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I'm playing on an Xbox One X and haven't had any crashes on NTP even with only 5 GB space left on the drive. This route I've been playing a lot lately to get the Class 45/47/101 miles achievements done.

17. Plastic Pal

Cool. Maybe the issue is limited to the oldest/basic XBox.....?

18. JModulo

JModulo New Member

So happy that this has finally been fixed, what a difference. Had a run last night and its the first time with the 47 I've been running early and had to stop for a red signal. The brakes seem to be alot sharper too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist Given support for TSW ends soon, please confirm when we will be receiving a patch for the game crashing. To not fix cosmetic bugs is one thing, however this is a major bug.

20. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

I've no confirmation to offer beyond that Miles Platting is a known issue.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. LucasLCC

So from the release of TSW 2 this will become a forgotten about known issue?

At the moment this is a game breaking fault. We aren't talking a typo or a difference to reality here. And there's no guarantee it'll ever be fixed, which means I'll still never be able to enjoy a product I've paid for.

Although it's understandable that you can't say that the bug will be fixed tomorrow, it's disappointing that you can't confirm if you're working to fix it, and if it'll be fixed before the support ends. At the moment it's a faulty product, and if it was a physical product I'd have no issue returning it for being faulty.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
  22. Plastic Pal

Just to calrify..... are you talking about the Miles Platting issue? And if so, do you have an XBox? And if so, which kind of XBox.....?

23. LucasLCC

Indeed, the Miles Platting issue. Something that was raised over a year ago yet still hasn't been fixed.

I have a plain Xbox One.

24. Plastic Pal

Okay. My take on this... bearing in mind that I have NTP on PS4 Pro and PC, but not XBox.... is that Miles Platting is an optimisation issue.... which is right at the limit of what a healthy original XBox can handle.... I don't have absolute proof of that - it's just a hunch, based on the reports I have seen... so.... can I suggest you try this:

Is there anything you can do to your XBox to improve general performance.... like clear some HD space, defrag, switch off the internet, clear the cache.... etc.? If you do this, and can then successfully run into Manchester (or not)... then that would be extremely useful for everyone to know...

This worked for someone earlier in this thread.. By the way, if this is an optimisation issue, then the above work-around doesn't excuse DTG from not picking up the limits/margins on performance... but I think it is understandable.... This doesn't happen to every XBox user (or every XBox user with the oldest XBox... if they then do a bit of XBox maintenance).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    • Like Like x 1