Being Able To View Timetables In Map

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BenDragon81037, Oct 13, 2017.

1. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

For me, TSW has been a real breath of fresh air when it comes to train simualtors as a whole.

But one feature that I felt was missing, was being able to click on a train, and view its timetable, so I'd like something like the image below:
    TSW timetable prototype picture.png

Useage:
    • Click on any train identification and a window should pop up displaying the timetable for that train.
    • To move the timetable, simply click and drag the title bar.
    • To view a particular location, click a certain row (could be disabled / enabled in the options) and the map would pan to the location refferenced.
    • To close it, either click off the timetable or click a X on the right side of the title bar (I forgot to picture the X)

The features were inspired by SimSig.

I'd like this feature to supplement anything added into the game, for example; Working passenger-catered departure tables in the UK route.

One more thing to note, I only included departure times, I have not included Arrival times, which, for passing times, should be blanked out (--:--).

For timetable planning in a future creator, journey times should be estemated and displayed in the timetable planner.

I guess to make the infomration displayed more accurate, you could refer to official driver timetables supplied by the operating company.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I have always wanted to know where a service was going and how long it would take before getting aboard. It's not fun to be walking around as encouraged, but then get on a train to find it doesn't go where you want. This is a nice execution of that idea, I like the concept art too.

3. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

Thank you, the colour scheme was derived from the manual so it fits within the current theme, one thing that I forgot to mention, was on U876-A, the timetable changes 3 times, I'm not sure how the timetable changes are supposed to be implemented based on this.

4. pschlik

Well, U876 is really 4 different services that happen to use the same train the whole time. So it would probably be fine to just have U876B's timetable show once you get to the 'service complete' location for U876A by backing onto the branch line. (So if you looked at it a minute before then the timetable would only show U876A, but after that's done it unpdates to U876B since U876A is no more.) A more manageable analogy is a depot move in GWE-it's the same train set, but the timetable is different once it is out of the depot at the station.

5. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

Yeah, I am familiar with how timetables actually work, it's just displaying them in the timetable, once a timetable ends, another one begins with a different identification. But the timetable needs to reflect that without displaying the future timetables.

6. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Agreed, some way to see the timetable of a train would be nice.

7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

This is an interesting idea, especially since I imagine that a real-life driver would know the timetable through experience -- or perhaps a copy in his pocket. On the other hand, GWE includes several interesting missions in which the player is cast as a last-minute replacement driver, leading me to wonder whether how such a driver would know the timetable.
    As always, I also have to wonder what effect pop-up timetables would have on overall simulator performance, which should have priority over gadgets and player conveniences.

8. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Here in Ireland I usually see the drivers carrying around a large leather bag; I assume it holds the official rulebook and relevant timetables.

Having a pop-up timetable might not be so bad if it isn't graphically intensive. One of the things I've always liked about the Armstrong Powerhouse scenario packs is that on the 2d map it stated the headcode, origin and destination; 1K64: London Paddington - Bedwyn

9. pschlik

I highly doubt this would do anything to performance. Something as a HUD element is graphically meaningless, and CPU wise would probably end up on its own thread, unrelated to anything else, while also not being a particularly demanding calculation-it just has to look at the data generated by the services simulation.

10. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Here in the Netherlands, drivers either get a print-out of their train's timetable (the "dienstkaartje") or can see it on their smartphone (the "Railpocket") or tablet. Trains have been equipped with docking points where they can place those devices while driving a train.

German drivers have a dedicated display in their cabs, the EBuLa, which shows all sorts of information about the route and timetable.