Joystick Set As Controller Possible For Tsw ?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jack O'Track, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

Is there a way to assign a Thrustmaster Warthog set to control TSW stuff.
    I really get fed up with this mousing around and looking at the keyboard for the right key pressings without making mistakes.

Also can you use a TrackIr set (trackhat in my case)?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Nope.

They say TrackIR is coming for TSW2, but... we will see.

3. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

TrackIR will not be available at the launch of TSW2 apparently, but it is being worked on and should be in place within a month or two afterwards... which is good news!

4. Louwe

Louwe Member

I also find the use of the keyboard inconvenient and therefore use a PS4 controller, with the program DS4W (indows) you can assign a letter from the keyboard to a function of the controller.

5. mike370

mike370 Active Member

Yes, it is possible to use both. Not officially, but care of our fellow player Drakoz (he's come up with some clever workarounds) you can use them in-game. I imagine he'd be the first to admit such unofficial controller support by no means perfect, however, it's a very neat 'fudge' that works pretty well. And I'm extremely grateful for him sharing his imaginative discovery to help overcome the lack of official support for these controllers.

He's put full instructions together with necessary downloads in two respective threads he created on this forum (links below). For the Warthog controllers it's worth reading through the entire thread, in addition to the opening post - they carefully explain the evolution & refinement of his workaround. There are some very good pointers you can pick up by reading all his posts. Additionally he's created some excellent video demos for both the controllers, which he's uploaded to YouTube. I've put a link to the first video for each controller. But note, there's a series of videos for the Warthog controller which you'll find in his playlist. Hope the links below are of help. :)

P.S. If you're reading Drakoz, thank you so very much for going to the effort of sharing your hard work, & also for taking the time out to make the excellent videos demoing how to use the controllers. It meant a lot to me to be able to use them - and I'm sure you made other TSW players very happy too. Many thanks!

Thrustmaster Target Script For Warthog Throttle + Saitek Tq Profile

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...g-throttle-saitek-tq-profile.3634/#post-26062

TrackIR Support For Train Sim World Using Freepie

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/trackir-support-for-train-sim-world-using-freepie.3878/

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jack O'Track

Thanks, alas i found out that the Target stuff with most of my flight simulators don't work well enough, and i use both Warthog units without it.
    The buttons and axes are very well handled from within these games, and Target just creates another intermediator inserted.
    USBdeview and JoyID are tools better at handling eventual addressing problems.

7. Lombra

Lombra Well-Known Member

TSW2 is supposed to include support for generic controllers shortly after release.

8. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Something was said about an API. Hopefully this will come and be generally available, so we can do some development on alternative interfaces. It is an interesting development, let's see what happens.

9. mike370

mike370 Active Member

I really don't know what more you want. I've got a Hotas Warthog joystick & throttle set,, & the above works just fine. I've also been able to happily use the Target software straight out of the box for both FSX & P3D. I was thrilled when the above suggestion for my TrackIR also worked just dandy. Whilst not perfect it's a big improvment on not being able to use either. I guess each to their own. ;)

Note, it's worth remembering TSW (the original CSX Heavy Haul) was also meant to have both controller support very soon after launch. That was more than 3 years ago! Given the history of everything that has happened, especially the annnouncements over the last week - well I'm not quite so sure why folk are absolutely convinced anything will be different for TSW2. Sincere good luck waiting.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jack O'Track

Well, i might give it a 3rd try at some point, when i got the time, and a proper backup of my current setup in case of problems (again) with Target.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mike370

mike370 Active Member

I do wish you well next time around. It's sure nice to have the extra controllers in place in TSW if possible. Perhaps, I've just been particularly lucky with Target - I do hear many folk complaining about having real difficulties. I hadn't heard of Trackhat until you mentioned it, but hoping it's compatible with freepie which was a doddle to setup with TrackIR (as per Drakoz's instructions).

Good luck. :)

12. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Thank you for the comments. It makes it all worth the effort when I know people are enjoying it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Jack, if you have trouble with TARGET, let me know and I'll help any way I can. I've been using TARGET since it first came out (and Foxy before that) on several different computers and OS's over the years and not had any significant issues. But I know sometimes people do have problems. So I'll help if I can.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jack O'Track

Thanks Drakoz. I have a Warthog Throttle/Joystick set, bought fairly priced since it had a few hardware problems .
    Now fixed with the help of a tech at Guillermot sending me some replacement parts. But i use it without the target software mainly for IL2 great battles.
    If you've got a script file for it i would like to give it a try. I tried to understand the scripting tools, but it's a bit above my caps.

15. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Do you mean a TARGET script for IL2? I don't have one since I don't play IL2 (well, haven't for years). I mostly fly in DCS and have individual scripts for each aircraft I fly.

Regardless, PM me if you want help any time. I can help get you started or show you a few things for IL2, or help get you up and running with the TSW script. The script is complicated, but using it is simple.

16. Jack O'Track

Hi Drakoz. No i mean for TSW. I also have Train simulator 2019, but only for the steam trains LoL.
    Sorry for not answering earlier, been on the road a while and without internet.

17. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

All manner of controllers will work with Train Sim World 2. TrackIR and Raildriver have both been specifically mentioned as being supported.

I don't have an exact date for them being supported (it might be at launch, it might be a little later) but we'll ensure this is clarified ahead of the release of the game. This goes for any functionality we've referenced - if it is not in the game at launch we'll have it on the roadmap so you can plan/judge accordingly.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Yes, I have a script for TSW. It is the whole reason I responded to this thread in the first place. Sorry I thought you saw that. Same offer, if you need help getting it going, just let me know.

See my thread about it and download it here:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...-for-warthog-throttle-saitek-tq-profile.3634/

P.S. This is the TARGET script mike370 first pointed out in his post earlier.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  19. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

I will be beyond happy to see it happen, but we've been promised this before. I've enjoyed making my TARGET script for TSW, but it was always meant to be a temporary solution while I waited for this to be added to TSW. Most important (and thank you very much for saying) is to hear the plan includes adding more than just RailDriver support. There are a lot of great controllers out there that would work great for a train control and the RailDriver isn't always the best choice. So glad to hear it. And TrackIR as well. Thanks.

20. DROGE

DROGE Active Member

......well with the TSW2 roadmap out, I must have missed TrackIR compatibility on it ....... I didn't see any mention of it.

Must get to Specsavers. ;)