PlayStation Class 20 First Impression - Bad

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by stujoy, Jun 18, 2020.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting these Plastic Pal

• Like Like x 1
  2. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Yeah - you could be right - it might be the range for dynamic shadows. They should try and change it - the radius is quite high on MSB.

Good luck with ignoring it on the Class 20 - it looks like a set of lights switching on and off.... Maybe it only matters when you are setting up screenshots, etc.... I run most stuff at night or in the rain, so I might not be that bothered by the glitch.

I find the poor quality roof textures a bit grim - but the sounds and clag are quite good fun.

EDITED TO ADD: Actually, this looks like a LOD at 50m and a dynamic shadow pop in/out at 25m..... it is particularly irksome with the Class 20, because you might well use the camera quite a lot with the shunting scenarios (for visibility)... but maybe when you move on to just driving then it won't matter that much... Perhaps they could quickly knock-up a livery for the Class 20 that doesn't include marker discs..........?

On a massively positive note.... the Chopper and Change scenario at Thornaby was really well populated with rakes of wagons, and I counted about x15 traction at the depot.... and there seemed to be constant movement of freight trains arriving/departing, other shunting operations taking place, plus 101 services and other steel trains moving in the background. Even without the Class 31s (apparently locked out**.. by the presence of the 20s.....?), this general activity was very pleasantly immersive, and very very welcome.....

**EDITED TO ADD: The Class 31s are not actually locked out, you can see them hauling 101s and cement wagons. Also - the immersion on TVL appears to have been increased through extra lighting effects, and loads more chimneys puffing out smoke. ;-)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

Certainly not, and while I didn't notice the issues on my first run, after reading your post I went and checked out.

For sure the issues you list were there, maybe it is my seating distance from screen that I didn't immediately notice, it is there, but I don't find the effect dramatic enough to catch my eye without looking for it.

The sound clipping issue on the other hand bothers me immensely. Find it painful to drive outside of slow speed shunting.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The light comes on for me too on PS4 Pro. I’ve not noticed any texture issues though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plastic Pal

I have not tested this yet, but I think the less distracting way forward is to leave all discs open (white)..... until DTG consider whether to fix this "MUST FIX" bug, or not.... and whether, of course, changing the code to fix it is considered to be "development", or just reasonable customer service for a product that continues to be on sale.

I have not encountered a sound bug yet, but I have only tried the Intro/Training tutorial, at slow speed. I note (again) the absence of a manual, although you can hardly blame the fabulous voice actor, because... I mean... he just probably has to read whatever was written for him - you could not expect him to know whether or not a manual would be produced, or be responsible for it being produced or developed..... ;-)

Finally - I note that the Intro/Training module included incorrect placing of the stop marker (on the track), with it being oriented for the wrong end of the locomotive - not a biggie, but vexing to see this in the tutorial.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Plastic Pal

I have now done some more running in the Class 20, including in darker/rainy conditions, with the front marker lights powered on (all four white ones....)......

And wow - this LOD/shadow issue affects the marker lights at the 25 radius as well - and it is REALLY BAD. So they have messed up the whole marker cluster, including the marker flaps (top piece) and the lights themselves. If they are powered on, then the lights will switch on/off from full beam to nothing at all whenever you cross the 25m boundary as a camera or in person (as an avatar camera). Speed doesn't matter - loading into memory doesn't matter. It's just a hard radius, and has nothing to do with performance. No other train in TSW does this.... with lights....

To be clear - this is not some subtle glitch (as I previously thought) - it's a really in your face kind of glitch, especially if you run at night with the marker lights on. It's really really poor quality - I can't imagine the QA process that let this get through, but then again, it is actually quite difficult to clear your mind to the extent that you can imagine a complete void of nothingness.

I think that your initial assessment was right. There are nice things about this loco (some very nice things...), but they have rushed it out without properly testing it. They probably wanted to get it out a long time ahead of TSW2, but as TSW2 crept closer, they just stopped work on the Class 20 and pushed it out.

For now, I completely regret my purchase of the Class 20. Hopefully it wil get fixed, and the value will be obtained over time. I might actually see if I can get a refund for it from PlayStation Store. I have never ever asked for a refund on PlayStation, not in twenty years...

The Class 20 is the first time that I have ever thought about asking for my money back, but this is how I now feel, especially in this environment where there is no clear indication if the bugs will get fixed or not.

NB: I still haven't encountered the sound bug that others are reporting (having taken the train to about 50mph)..

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is bad. The first service I did was in bright sunshine which shows off the inadequacies of the textures the most. I initially thought about a refund, which is a first for me. There aren’t many services for it and that could be excused a little if the model was finished nicely. I haven’t had the sound issues other than the volume of some things being too loud, but others have had those issues so maybe they are to come.

I still have a couple of DLC that I want to get for TSW and they are namely the 182 and HRR and they will be purchased in a sale as and when, and I expect them to be very good. I regret paying full price for this. It’s the biggest disappointment I’ve had since the Class 47 issue which I discovered on the first day of playing TSW. So both in and out on a low point, but plenty of good in between.

Hopefully there’s been more attention to detail for the first content of TSW2 and I can get back into the swing of it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Plastic Pal

Re TSW2 - I have seen CSX before (on PC).... and that should be good - you will be amazed when you see the number of TSW concepts that were tried in CSX, and then dropped for every later DLC... So my focus with TSW2 (which I will buy) will be on the Bakerloo Line. I am expecting it to be special. If it is just the NY Penn tunnel x5, then that will be my last TSW/TSW2 purchase.

I am utterly gutted that they ruined the Class 20 on TVL by having virtually no new content, and by not bothering to check whether the lights worked when you looked at them from a few steps away. The Bakerloo Line..... I am expecting fantastic. So..... I hope that someone has bothered to test it.......

• Like Like x 1
  9. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

The Bakerloo Line better live up to the expectations.....or i will just save up my money for the new PS5 instead of buying TSW dlc from DTG

• Like Like x 2
  10. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I have another observation to add about how bad the lights and discs are on the Class 20. If you have a headcode disc closed but the light on behind it, then the light can still be seen through (or in front of) the disc at distance. It then disappears as the loco gets closer. I’m finding increasingly more difficult to look at the front (actually the back) of this train.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Plastic Pal

Here is an example where all four marker lights are powered on (two hidden), and the top and bottom left marker discs are open, viewed from three nearby distances (with the camera edging backwards). The first image shows what you expect to see:

Train Sim World_20200620183034.jpg

The second image (below) shows the lights being extinguised by the LOD/shadow radius (and you can see the buffers darkening as well), and the two open marker discs are starting to lose their shape:

Train Sim World_20200620183050.jpg

The third image (below) shows the bottom two marker disc flaps (bottom middle and bottom right) disappearing, leaving a sunlight reflection (or very high default texture brightness) on the lower half of just those two discs, but not the one to the left (all of the lights are all still "powered" on, but all still appear extinguished, but the reflection is so bright that two of them now look like lights - the wrong two). The two white open marker disc have turned into diamonds, exactly as earlier described by stujoy :

Train Sim World_20200620183105.jpg

(NB: Ignore the plain white circle/cursor that appears above the bottom middle marker disc.)

It's a crazy effect. It is as if someone is signalling morse code to you. It isn't easy to ignore. You do not see this anywhere else in TSW (that I have seen, anyway). It makes taking screenshots a complete nightmare, because the broken detail on the marker discs/lights is highly conspicuous. Something should be done about this - it looks really awful on this loco. (I note also that the lights are not light sources, which is a shame.)

I also add, as has been pointed out on anotther thread, that the use of marker discs wasn't (apparently) typical at this time (they were phased out in 1976, apparently), although the preserved example of the Class 20 on GCR presumably has them for illustrative purposes

Hopefully we will get a variant of the Class 20 without the discs.... with the lights working when seen from more than 10m away....

• Like Like x 2
  12. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It would have been a better option all round. Thanks for posting all these pictures supporting my observations. I find the whole process of getting screenshots off the PS4 and on to the forum via an ipad an almost impossible task and that’s why I never post screenshots!

Does this all this show my points more clearly now DTG Protagonist ? And what’s the likelihood of a fix?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Plastic Pal

No worries. For me it is much worse at night, and such a shame because TVL at night/dusk really does look good these days.... this glitch really cuts down on the freedom you have to frame a screenshot - by about 90%.

NB: The "very high default texture brightness" that I mention regarding the third image also presents itself at night - at which point it actually looks like a light. Even if the light is not powered on. It is ridiculous.

NB2: This bug also affects trains that you pass, most notably the Class 20... but kinda bearable as your angle of view is changing anyway (so it is less jarring), and it's also very fleeting when you are passing other trains at high speed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

I use the PS message app (not sure about its availability on apple store granted as I use android). I send the screenshot in a message (normally to my lad) from my PlayStation. Then log into the PS app on phone/tablet and open the message. From there I can download it onto my phone/tablet and post accordingly.

• Like Like x 2
  15. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I use exactly this method. My eldest is sick of me sending random screenshots just so I can then save them to my camera roll lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. Plastic Pal

LOL..... so.... this is what I do:

- I put a USB stick in the PS4 and transfer the images to it, and then....
    - I walk six feet, and then I put the USB stick into a PC..... and upload straight from the stick to the Forum.

You gotta love portable media. ;-)

17. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

A small price to pay for the years of abject suffering I say!