Immersion Factor

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by davidh0501, Jun 20, 2020.

1. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about this for some time.
    Other than roads and stations the rest of the TSW world is lifeless.

Several years ago I downloaded an addon for TS called the Portland Terminal which include a section of street running with cars and numerous people on the street.
    The people were simple, non moving, but they added greatly to the enjoyment even though you were restricted to slow running. (Was great with a Big Boy or a Cabforward)

In routes like West Somerset the landscape is dead. No life in the countryside.

How hard would it be to have someone leaning on a fence watching the train go by? Perhaps with a dog. A couple chatting on a nearby path, some kids running towards the line, or another couple standing by a parked car?
    None of them would need to be highly detailed.

I feel it's something that would add greatly to the immersion factor, since you would only glimpse them briefly.

With every graphic enhancement their absence grows more obvious.

• Like Like x 5
  2. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

I have noted this from day one. There seems to be a limit as to how much detail can be added without causing performance or physics issues. I have noticed that in some areas that a permanent fog appears in the background to mask some detail. When TSW Heavy Haul first was released the ballast was 3D. After complaints of performance issues a week later an update was released and that was changed to more of a 2D ballast. I also believe that this is the reason that steam locomotives are absent from the game. Just two much going on.

3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

GWE has people as scenery assets in Paddington outside the ticket gate thingies. But because GWE was the second route for TSW, the detail is higher. Apparently they just couldn't be bothered to stick to their standards, so pretty much all routes after Sand Patch and GWE are lower quality and much more lifeless.

The problem with TSW is that what is done, is done nicely and in great detail. But there are so many stuff missing that the overall expereince feels dead. At least they added cars after Peninsula Corridor got released, and that improved the scenery a lot.