PlayStation Class 20 Distorted Sounds.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by CrossEyedMary, Jun 19, 2020.

1. CrossEyedMary

CrossEyedMary New Member

Whilst i'm really liking th 20 I find that i'm getting heavily distorted and choppy engine sounds when under power, this is especially apparent when travelling forwards ( nose first ). I'm assuming that this is a sound channel issue, if so can it be fixed, and will TSW2 feature more sound channels?

• Like Like x 1
  2. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

They were called 'Choppers'! Welcome to the sounds of English Electric.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Have you reported it?

https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

4. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

It sounds like the bass is clipping, I find it very uncomfortable to listen to. Only in cab, outside is fine. Some kind of reverberation or something, not fun.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plastic Pal

Is this only between 5mph and 20mph, with a lot of power applied....? Can you describe when it happens....?

NB: I haven't noticed any sound bugs.... in normal running. But my normal running is a bit unusual.... :) I always run everything with all windows and doors open.... With this set-up I could not detect any bass distortions. However....

... with all windows and doors closed, the high end sounds of the diesel engine cut-out, and the cab is much quieter. If you then turn up the sound of your TV/headphones/AV system.... then you can get an uncomfortable sound while the traction motors are under the first field.... (series, probably).... it sounds like a very broken shunter.... BTW - if you do turn up the volume, then the AWS will become disturbingly loud.....

Is this the distortion you are getting (bassy traction motor sound, much lower pitch than a whine....)? Does it go away if you open the windows and doors...?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

I noticed this happening yesterday too.

It does indeed sounds like a distortion. It's not nice.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

@DTG Protagonist: I think, it'd make sense to condense three different threads about the Class 20 sounds (this one and two in the tech report subforum) into one. Is this possible, please?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

I made a video of it. First minute, everything is ok. Switch to outside view, when I go back inside cab, the distortion starts. It doesn't sound so bad on youtube but when you are running at normal volume on headphones or sound system, its nasty.

I have tried it with both Boost mode on and off, it happens less frequently with boost mode off, but still happens. There is no rhyme or reason for it. I have tried just staying in cab only, windows open/closed, doors open closed. Touching no buttons within cab etc, it just seems to happen eventually.

Don't have any issues with other engines. This also takes place on WSR, so believe it is to do with the loco itself.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Plastic Pal

Thanks for this - I think I have now isolated the problem (and your video really helped):

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/class-20-sounds.23575/#post-144637

But if you can reproduce the bug...um... on a dry day.... let us know (cos I can't).

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

No problem

I get it every time I run the class 20, sometimes straight away, sometimes it takes a few minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Plastic Pal

Aaaah - I have not had that happen..... in the dry.... Maybe DTG should pay you to test their stuff.... just don't go anywhere near the coffee machine if you find yourself in their offices, as coffee is a real pain of a stain to get out of the carpet/furniture....... LOL... ;-)

More seriously - do you get this bug - every time... if you face forward....? There is usually a dodgy sound occlusion spot when you are looking at a 45 degree angle inwards or outwards.... You get this on a few locos in TSW....

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BobbyC

BobbyC New Member

This isn't related to the sound bug which i've not encountered but agree the lights issue is at best annoying. Despite completing the Intro and Scenarios awarded gold each time it will not award trophy for these 2. Initially done in Journey mode so tried again via Training and Scenarios in total 3 times each - same result logged as completed on summary but no award. Anyone else having issues or advice how to fix? Could it be due to downloading the Support update which included trophies I believe the evening before the Class 20 DLC. Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Plastic Pal

Re trophies, you could try the following combo (but for Geoff's sake, only try it once, if you have time...):

- new driver profile (although I think that this is a red herring, many people swear by it)
    - internet off/isolated (although other people think that this is a red herring, I swear by it.... ;-) )
    - only launch from Scenario menu (not Journey)
    - after you complete the scenario (that should award a trophy) back into the main menu and leave the UI in the scenario menu, then watch TV for a few hours and let your system think about it for a bit (I am not kidding - this can actually work - it might help if your system is left long enough so that it preps itself to go to sleep, thereby closing down any erroneous background applications (including those in TSW))

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  14. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

So, one last time, I ran a test. Spring setting, in the dry, different scenario. I tried to face as forward as possible aside from moving head to put in master key. You can hear the glitch as soon as I put power on and gain some speed.

It happens when I drive normally too, these videos are just quick checks to prove the point.

15. Plastic Pal

Yep - that sounds bad. I have not encountered that in the dry - this might be because I haven't driven it light engine with immediate full throttle into a rake of wagons - you've triggered enough sounds over a very short time to get a glitch with some cut-outs.

It's not qute the same as experiencing the glitch for an extended period in the course of normal operation - which I have only personally heard in the rain..... But I don't think you need the rain to get a sound glitch... you just need a combination of sound events that clash with each other (when driving normally, rain or dry). In your video clip examples (to be fair to the devs) the operation is unexpected. In the rain examples, I think that the devs have not considered the contribution of the rain (and possibly the wiper).... but it could happen in the dry as well, with church bells, TVL road traffic... sirens, factory noises, other trains... etc. It is definitely a general sound bug (not just rain).

16. BobbyC

BobbyC New Member

Thanks for taking the time to reply I'll give it a go. Much appreciated

17. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt put it down to the loco creator. Hes clearly put a lot of effort into this class 20. IMO hes done a stellar job. As for the sound I think you’ll find TSW in general has sound issues. Only having 32 channels is a problem.

18. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

As I said in my post, I experience it with normal running. My videos I'm posting are quick under heavy load just to show the issue as I don't want to spend time testing for the bug under normal conditions as I'm not getting paid to be a play tester.

I don't feel it is too many sounds at once, as it only affects the class 20 and can happen with lots of sounds playing or not many