Metro North Hudson Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Blue Fred, Oct 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

Hudson Line (Grand Central Terminal - Poughkeepsie)
    Hi, my name is Blue Fred and this is the second route I am proposing to Train Sim World. My first route was the Chiltern Mainline (London Marylebone - Banbury) because that british commuter/intercity route is different from most. It is a little less urban, more unique route like this american route I will be introducing today.

Hudson Line (Main Topic)
    The Metro North Hudson Line is a 74 mile commuter rail line from Grand Central Terminal, NY - Poughkeepsie Station, NY. After 11 miles of the line from Grand Central Terminal, the line gets shared with Amtrak (America's Intercity Rail) to Poughkeepsie where amtrak services continue northward to New York's capital Albany. At Albany, the line splits into 3 segments. One segment goes to Boston, the main capital of the state of Massachusetts. One segment goes north to connections to the state of Vermont and Montreal, Canada. The final segment goes to Buffalo, NY, splitting to either go to Chicago or Toronto, Canada. The Hudson Line has local commuter electric trains (M7A locomotives), that take journeys from Grand Central Terminal to a major third rail ending terminal Croton-Harmon 33 miles north. The more semi-express trains are diesel locomotives that continue all the way to Poughkeepsie (P32 locomotives).
    [​IMG]

Hudson Line Locomotives
    On the Metro North Hudson Line there are several locomotives. There is the M7A third rail electric locomotive which does local services between Grand Central Terminal - Croton-Harmon.
    [​IMG]
    There is the P32 diesel locomotive which does semi-express services between Grand Central Terminal - Poughkeepsie via Croton-Harmon. Not only that, but it does Amtrak Intercity Service to Albany and beyond.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grand Central Terminal
    Grand Central Terminal is the terminal and train station in New York City for the Metro North Railroad. Metro North is a commuter railroad that serves 3 lines east of the Hudson River. The Hudson Line is the commuter line that goes northwest on the Hudson River to Poughkeepsie via Croton-Harmon. The main line (Harlem Line) is in the middle that goes north to White Plains and Southeast, this is the only line with no Amtrak. The New Haven Line, is the line that connects to the high speed Northeast Corridor to Stamford and New Haven.
    [​IMG]

Harlem 125th Street
    Harlem 125th Street is the second station for all commuter lines, and an important station. It is the train station that divides the 3 commuter lines. Some trains during rush hour skip this stop, but the majority stop here. The Hudson Line divides from the main line at this point, going into the more northwest section of Bronx, New York City. GCT and Harlem are the two stations in Manhattan, the main borough of New York City.
    [​IMG]

List of Train Stations
    Yankees E. 153rd Street - Local Stop/Terminus for Game Day Shuttles
    [​IMG]

Morris Heights - Local Stop
    University Heights - Local Stop
    Marble Hill - Local Stop/Occasional Semi-Express Stop
    [​IMG]
    Spuyten Duyvil - Local Stop
    Riverdale - Local Stop (Last in NYC)
    Ludlow - Local Stop (First out of NYC/First in Yonkers)
    Yonkers - Local Stop/Occasional Semi-Express Stop/Local Intercity Stop

Yonkers is the main train station for the huge city of Yonkers just right north of New York City. It is not New York City Size, but it is a major city in the area. This is the first amtrak stop out of New York Penn (Train Station for Amtrak, New Jersey Transit, and Long Island Railroad).
    [​IMG]

Glenwood - Local Stop
    Greystone - Local Stop (Last in Yonkers)
    Hastings-on-Hudson - Local Stop (First in Westchester County)
    Dobbs Ferry - Local Stop
    Ardsley-on-Hudson - Local Stop
    Irvington - Local Stop
    Tarrytown - Local Stop/Semi-Express Stop
    [​IMG]
    Philipse Manor - Local Stop
    Scarsdale - Local Stop
    Ossinning - Local Stop/Semi-Express Stop
    [​IMG]
    Croton-Harmon - Local Terminus/Semi-Express Stop/Intercity Stop

Croton-Harmon is a major stop in a town called Croton-on-Hudson. It is major because it marks the end of the third rail electrification of the line and is a major stop for semi-express trains as well as Amtrak. Beyond this point in New York and so forth the line is diesel.
    [​IMG]

Cortlandt - Semi-Express Stop
    Peekskill - Semi-Express Stop (Last in Westchester County)
    [​IMG]
    Manitou - Limited Stop (First in Putnam County)
    Garrison - Semi-Express Stop
    Cold Spring - Semi-Express Stop (Last in Putnam County)
    Breakneck Ridge - Limited Stop (First in Dutchess County)
    Beacon - Semi-Express Stop/Occasional Semi-Express Terminus
    [​IMG]
    New Hamburg - Semi-Express Stop
    Poughkeepsie - Semi-Express Terminus/Intercity Stop

Poughkeepsie is the end of the Metro North Hudson Line. It is also another stop for Amtrak, from Poughkeepsie Amtrak continues on to Albany-Rensselaer where they either terminate or go onward to Boston, Vermont, the midwest, or Canada. The proposed line to DTG for Train Sim World ends here.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 52
  2. ironfan

ironfan New Member

yeh I could go for this one!

• Like Like x 5
  3. MikeForce

MikeForce New Member

If they do this line, I hope they won't exclude Poughkeepsie-Albany and the Empire connection to Penn. Excluding either would make for a very unsatisfying experience for Amtrak and freight fans. If its not feasible to have those elements, I'd prefer a Harlem line instead of a cut down Hudson line.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

I get that, but I would say in general the Hudson Line is more entertaining than the Harlem Line. They should add the empire connection to NY Penn. After a bit, maybe an add-on to Albany (for DTG 150 miles is a lot).

• Like Like x 2
  5. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

I support this idea all the way, I even rode it in real life and I'm still convinced that Dovetail Games needs to make this route for either Train Simulator 2017 or Train Sim World (for the latter would be better). Although I too would love it if it did go to Albany from New York City and also include the parallel West Shore Line/River Subdivision to Jersey City.

But just New York City to Poughkeepsie is fine on its own because there's so much diversity in traffic there on the Hudson Line/Empire Corridor/Water Level Route. You have the third-rail electrification on the southern-most part of the route from New York's Grand Central Terminal (and Penn Station if set after 1991) to Croton-Harmon, which allows for EMU cars and electric locomotives and then you have the non-electrified section from Croton-Harmon northward to Poughkeepsie and beyond to Albany.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

Yea, it would be better if it went up to Albany of course. All though based on the route length DTG cannot do that for their business.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MikeForce

MikeForce New Member

I'll tell you as a regular of the Empire Service, Poughkeepsie-Albany is critical to representing the route's traffic.

From what I understand, the current Dovetail policy for TSW unlike TS 201X (where trains spawned and despawned at portals) is to omit trains that don't precisely lie on the route. Losing the freight action of Selkirk Yard (5 miles off Poughkeepsie-Albany) and the "higher speed rail" speeds of the Empire Service on Poughkeepsie-Albany would be a tremendous blow to the route.

I think you know best of all how the omission of SEPTA and NJT impacted the original NY-Philadelphia NEC route. That's why I'd prefer the Harlem line to an incomplete Hudson line if Dovetail happens to be chosing between the two whenever they revisit the NY area.

I'm sure they could do it. A route distance of ~140 miles is not unheard of for a Dovetail route. The route from Poughkeepsie to Albany is much simpler than NY-Poughkeepsie. Don't forget that the prominence of the Hudson River greatly reduces the number of custom assets that they would have to make overall.

In addition, I was under the impression that TSW was more capable than TS2017 and that TS2017's limitations no longer applied. I wouldn't know myself as I'm holding out on TSW until Dovetail eventually make its way to British and American electric routes.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

Dude, HH is 70 miles long and GWE is 36 miles long. They will probably do shorter routes for a while, and the only electric part is third rail (Grand Central Terminal - Croton-Harmon).

• Like Like x 1
  9. MikeForce

MikeForce New Member

I don't really believe that there are any inherent route limitations that would preclude them from Train Simulator 201X length routes. Dovetail was not shortsighted when they conceived of Train Sim World.

Any current limitations on route length are probably the result of using tools that are under heavy development making it difficult for their route designers. So unless the Hudson line happens to be in the Dovetail's plans for the immediate future, it really should not be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

I asked TrainSim-Steve about route limitations before; he said there are none. I'm sure they have their own reasons why HH and GWE are as long as they are, although I'm hoping for an expansion to GWE at some point.

As for HH; it feels pretty long while driving it. Are those seventy miles a straight line from start to finish, or do they account for all the twists, turns and curves?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

I just think that they now will bring features to the sim. if all is added to the game they can focus on longer routes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

I think creating new scenery in TSW may have had a lot to with the current length of routes. I'm sure that performance is another good reason. The longer the route, the more of those fully featured AI trains will be roaming around sucking up processor and GPU cycles.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

Honestly, I am not 109% sure, but I think that they are for Point A - Point B not including curves.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

Would be great to see this. I’ll be making a post later about making the Harlem line too. I honestly would prefer if they just made the electrified portion of the Harlem and Hudson lines because they run my favorite trains the M-7s and M-3s.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

Maybe we can have a map on TSW with Grand Central with branches to Croton-Harmon, North White Plains, and Stamford as an all metro north mini proposal.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Lawjester

I like the idea but I think that instead of North White Plains, just do it to Southeast. Also they already released Stanford so I’d rather for them to devote there attention to the things that were not released like the LIRR mainly or the MNRR Harlem and Hudson Lines.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

Seems reasonable, I got a friend making NEC for TSW anyways.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lawjester

How? Theirs no editing tools yet. Also I honestly don’t have a preference between both Lines. But maybe DTG will be generous and one day give us both Harlem and Hudson Lines.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blue Fred

Blue Fred Member

He will, he isn't right now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

Would love to see this route come to fruition, along with the route's respective trains, in TSW. DTG please, make it happen.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  21. Lawjester

Agreed!

• Like Like x 4
  22. Lawjester

I really also want to see the LIRR and Harlem line as well! That would be my dream Simulator!

• Like Like x 2
  23. USRailFan007

Completely agree with you on those becoming Routes as well, 100%. But, it'd be an undertaking in the case of the LIRR, with all its branches. Not impossible of course. Hopefully we see this in the near future. And, if they had to choose an initial starting branch in the LIRR, Atlantic terminal or Penn station to Montauk (via Jamaica - Valley stream), just to get the most lengthy portion out the way, would be great! Still, would prefer the Hudson line overall. Just personal preference :P

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Lawjester

I agree with the Montauk Branch because you also get the Babylon Branch and the main line which make up the electric section and from Babylon to Montauk which makes up the diesel section. It’s probably the best startup route and maybe in the future we can also get the Port Jefferson Branch or the Ronkonkoma Branch!

• Like Like x 3
  25. USRailFan007

One can only hope at this point but no doubt, the excitement couldn't be more real! *Cough* Especially for the Hudson Line xD

• Like Like x 2
  26. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I love this proposal

But.. Mark my words:

If DTG’s business practices as of late are any indication.. if the Hudson line were to ever get done, they wouldn’t do the whole line to Poughkeepsie much less, Albany, as much as I would love for them to do. But I believe they would at least go as far as Croton-Harmon from New York City being that you can get the most variety of traction between those two points. You have electric which the M3’s and M7A’s use and then the Diesels P32AC that both Amtrak and Metro North use.

And like what they’ve done with the Peninsula Route which was recently offered in full all the way to Gilroy with other branches, they may offer a more full route to Poughkeepsie, or even possibly, Albany (which I wouldn’t hold my breath for).

Now, as it is understandable that DTG is first and foremost a business, I can mostly understand why they choose to shorten routes in an effort to maximize their profit potential, especially when they know their consumers want a particular route and the length of it.

So if and when they ever do this Route and I hope to the heavens that this gets done, they will only do the electrified section. Which, I personally won’t to be 100% thrilled about.. but it will be worlds better than it not having been done at all.

I predict that there will be some obvious current traction offered with or probably as a twin pack offering of the P32 (hopefully with older shoreliners cars without the middle doors) and M7A’s, and hopefully they’ll provide some M3’s as well. As they are iconic across the MTA’s rail system.

I’m still holding out hope that they will do the M2/4/6’s for the New Haven section. I’ve been begging to see that done for the longest.

• Like Like x 2
  27. rare_common_sense

They more than likely will at least include the empire connection as most of it is underground, but giving us the Poughkeepsie to Albany portion, likely isn’t going to happen, as I doubt they’ll even give us the route all the way to Poughkeepsie (reasons I stated in my previous reply)

But Hudson is a much better bet than Harlem because it provides more variety and you get Two NY terminus stations. Scenario options with routes is always a plus.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  28. Lawjester

I can understand wat your saying with just going to Croton Harmon like what they did with Peninsula but it’s not what the people want. They did the full Surfliner from LA to San Diego and TSW is also a door to a second chance in a way for DTG to turn things around. It wouldn’t feel to good to just get it to Croton Harmon if I was someone who really wants this route like I want the LIRR. It’s like when I want the Montauk branch but only get it to Babylon. I do want the Hudson line but not as much as I want the LIRR but I’d still be upset if DTG cut the line down.

• Like Like x 1
  29. rare_common_sense

Well, at this point. With the infinite amount of request that they’re getting, we would be fortune to see this route come to light, in either TSW or TS.. I still hope it comes out for the latter. TSW is still young and they are pushing out extremely short routes. And I don’t really expect the next one to meet a decent length either.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Lawjester

Well the LIRR and Metro North have been requested for a very long time and this proposal has been quite popular throughout the community along with the LIRR proposal that I made. Now I agree with you with DTG just whipping out a long route soon but you’ve gottta start somewhere, otherwise they’ll be making short routes for the rest of TSW’s lifetime. I think DTG has definitely gotten the message that we want more New York routes especially this route and the LIRR and I do believe that this route will come soon since DTG has yet to release an American passenger route for TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  31. NEC_Male_TC

I can only mark half of your words. Yes I agree that New York City to Albany would be a bit long for Dovetail Games to make at this time, not that I agree that it should be that way, I'm just agreeing with you about that when it comes to realistic expectations based on the evidence from recent routes.

However, if Dovetail Games did make the Hudson Line for either game, I'm sure in my clearest of judgment that they would have at least the New York City to Poughkeepsie section of it. For them to make the Hudson Line only from New York City to Croton-Harmon is like making the North Jersey Coast Line only from New York City and Hoboken to Long Branch, and thank goodness they knew better to not make only the electrified part of the North Jersey Coast Line for Train Simulator 2018 on the first try. There would be a large amount of opposition for sure if they did just New York City to Croton-Harmon for the Hudson Line or heaven forbid, only Croton-Harmon to Poughkeepsie.

I do have a feeling that if they made the Hudson Line as a route extension for New York to New Haven for Train Simulator 2018, it probably would only be the electrified section as far as Croton-Harmon (like with the Morristown Line in the extension for the North Jersey Coast Line) which is why I support the Hudson Line as its own route regardless of which game it's made for because Dovetail Games will be much better off doing the whole Metro-North-serving section of it from New York City to Poughkeepsie than cutting it short at Croton-Harmon.

Also, New York City to Poughkeepsie is a fair length for a route in either game, about 75 miles or so, which would be both reasonable and manageable, but I don't support incompetence and excuses from all companies either, including Dovetail Games.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  32. USRailFan007

The Hudson line as a full route from GCT to Poughkeepsie is more than doable on DTGs part. Would LOVE to hear from them on the matter since this topic got quite a bit of views and upvotes (and not just here, on this forum, alone). Imo, i honestly wouldn't mind the route from GCT to Croton-Harmon as a Starting-Point. However, if they start here, they should not finish there. They should follow up and deliver the last ~35 miles, from Croton-Harmon to poughkeepsie as a DLC to come down the line (assuming they do it this way rather than drop the whole route on us --- which would be highly preferred over the former). So long as they make this route happen in general. Though, TSW is still being optimized and worked on, i think we can all agree we'd prefer to see the release of the route via the UE4, simply on the basis of its graphical potential; being that the route is quite scenic.

• Like Like x 2
  33. NEC_Male_TC

In all fairness and based on what can be done, there's just no excuse for them to only do New York City to Croton-Harmon as a standalone route for either game, even if it means making an extension DLC to Poughkeepsie one year (or more) later. New York City to Poughkeepsie should be the bare minimum if Dovetail Games is going to make the Hudson Line, and then have an extension DLC to Albany from there for another day, that would make sense and have more appeal.

• Like Like x 4
  34. Lawjester

DTG hasn’t seemed to have been working on an American passenger route lately and we can probably expect another TSW route in the next month or so and I believe it will be US passenger. All they’ve been doing lately is releasing a lot of UK and Europe products but no US so I’m wondering if that means they’re planning a big release for TSW and that could be the Hudson line or the LIRR. This proposal is probably the most successful request thread on the forum and we definitely made it clear that we want it.

• Like Like x 2
  35. rare_common_sense

In your last paragraph, you and I are very much on the same level of thinking. But, let's not forget that DTG is first and foremost a business. And if the New York to Croton-Harmon proves to be successful, and it more than likely will extend it further, which in turn, would benefit them and also, the consumer (though as you know, some will have complained it should have been done in the first place, which I agree). It will probably get extended. I see this more happening for TS2018 than for TSW. TSW is still fairly brand new, and it's going to take a long while before they get things going at full speed that TS2018 has long established. So it's not much to do with incompetence, or excuses, in this case.. It's strategy. I would LOVE for them to just do the entire section on New York to Albany or even just to Poughkeepsie, but this is DTG, and this isn't just entirely a hobby for them. It's their livelihood, and they are doing what they feel best keeps them going and staying afloat to help maintain their means of living.

So, I do stand by what was said, and can, to a very large degree say that if they do just the section of New York - Croton-Harmon (for TS2018, especially), it's far better than them not having tackled it at all. And it will more than likely be merged out of the gate, or by Danny via the workshop, as it will help to maximize the use of the Park Ave stretch from GCT-Harlem/125th street section. As well as Penn Station. Again, I do however, agree with just about everything you said. But, this is DTG. Lol

• Like Like x 2
  36. rare_common_sense

TSW is still in its infancy, they haven't even release the editor tools, nor multiplayer. At this point, knowing that they've released extremely short routes for it, you really don't want them taking on such a project that is going to disappoint and want you desiring more. I do expect their next offering will be just that. But they still have lots to develop for it that this early stage of the product, and would be a bit much for them to fulfill routes such as these. In TS2018, I can certainly see the argument there.. And while it's frustrating in a sense for the consumer to get half or partial sections of the most requested content, their endgame is monetary profit. Or, to be fair (to them), doing what they have with the resources currently available to them at the time. At some point in the future, I would love to see these routes fully realized in TSW, but it's way too early.

• Like Like x 1
  37. rare_common_sense

For them to do it in full in TS2018, absolutely doable. And very much agree with this 100% "Imo, I honestly wouldn't mind the route from GCT to Croton-Harmon as a Starting-Point. However, if they start here, they should not finish there.".. And also agree it would look magnificent on UE4. But they got a long way to go before they can begin tackling a route like this. So TS2018 is the very likely candidate for this route in the nearer future.

• Like Like x 2
  38. rare_common_sense

It's a business strategy they've adopted, and seem to have it down-packed. I don't agree with it, but I do understand it. I don't see them going the other way with it.

• Like Like x 1
  39. NEC_Male_TC

Yeah well, it's not a good strategy for them and it would backfire on them for sure due to all of the complaints they would be getting from the initial announcement which means fewer sales despite a route extension which might come a year later to have the route go all the way to Poughkeepsie. They will make a lot more sales for making the whole subdivision instead of a half-baked route, it's true and I can prove it. Case in point, look at New York to New Haven, North Jersey Coast Line (with or without the Morristown Line, it doesn't matter) and the Surfline; it was worth it to make New York to New Haven have both Grand Central and Penn Station. Same thing applied to the North Jersey Coast Line, it was worth making it go from New York's Penn Station and Hoboken Terminal to Bay Head, NJ instead of cutting it short at Long Branch, NJ. Same thing as well for the Surfline being the whole route from Los Angeles to San Diego. If they made those routes shorter, they would not have sold as well. So the point is, make the route complete and you get more sales. Simple as that.

I say, to anybody [at Dovetail Games] who makes a route, the best way to go about it is to first do your research on it and then after you do that, see if you can make the entire subdivision, and if you can't, don't do it. Lately Dovetail Games has actually been doing well with their American urban routes for Train Simulator 2018 by making the complete subdivisions of them for a vast majority of them (which gives me confidence that they won't botch the Hudson Line and therefore have the whole Metro-North section from New York City to Poughkeepsie). Sadly, most of their American mountain pass routes have all been disappointing and cut too short intentionally. I spend more of my time with the American urban routes than I do the American mountain pass routes to begin with, but no matter what type of route it is, I expect to have it be a complete subdivision nonetheless, it makes it more realistic, fun and I can make more realistic scenarios with them to upload onto Steam Workshop.

• Like Like x 5
  40. USRailFan007

At this point, I believe there is more than enough discussion on all fronts, regarding the creation of the Hudson Line as a route. A simple google search would demonstrate how much people are intrigued by this line (over the past few years and still to this day). Its more than enough to warrant a reply from DTG themselves and have them give their two cents or bit of insight as to what would potentially, work for us all (both on their ends and ours, concerning the length of the route). Without giving away too much detail, they should at the very least, discuss whether or not, the route is a candidate for consideration and creation in TSW, since it is widely popular amidst those that want NEC based lines implemented; rather than keep everything completely concealed until the release of some US route people might not be particularly interested in. They should communicate more frequently in the earlier stages of TSW's development and content within these forums since they created it for a reason. To gain a sense as to what people are most interested in and keep the game alive and well (entertainment wise and business wise). Don't leave us hanging DTG for excessively long periods of time. The same applies to the other semi-popular to popular proposals.

• Like Like x 5
  41. Lawjester

DTG seriously lacks in the communication department. They have not mentioned anything with TSW since they released Rapid Transit. Lately all that DTG has been doing was releasing UK and Europe content but no US. Again I believe that this could be a sign that they’re planning something big for a US DLC coming soon. Let’s kee our hopes up. Also DTG seriously needs to take on a new business strategy because their current one is terrible. Although I agree that if they release the Hudson line they will cut it short, but they would probably cut from Poughkeepsie to Albany and leave from NYC to Poughkeepsie. Let’s wait and see and hope it will be in our hands soon!

• Like Like x 5
  42. Lawjester

Additionally I’m hoping that DTG will put good effort into the audio for this route. For example the horn and engine sounds should be done right. Also the LIRR and Metro North run the best Automated Announcements and I would love to see that represented in any route that has LIRR or Metro North. Metro North runs the automated announcements on their M7A’s and M8’s while the LIRR runs them on their M7’s and a little bit on their C3 bilevel cars. The ASI is very easy to setup for your train before you depart, you type the route number and the ASI will play automatically because it is linked to GPS and it will play according to what station your near or at.
    Here’s a sample for Metro North and LIRR ASI,

• Like Like x 3
  43. USRailFan007

Hopefully they do get the authentic sounds right. The default P32ac-dm in TS 20xx was so underwhelming, until FanRailer uploaded the mod for the 7FDL-12 prime mover engine sounds. It was absolutely glorious. Hoping that when they do release the route with the trains, the P32ac-dm should sound like it suppose to in Diesel mode:
    Also, the horn IS quillable DTG. Which, is was not in TS 20xx.

• Like Like x 4
  44. rare_common_sense

Well, I didn't say it was a good strategy. I just said it was their strategy. Truth is, we don't know firsthand how good or bad of a strategy it is, except DTG, but we know they will sell if it is made, regardless. Because if folks like myself want it bad enough, especially after having been requesting it for so long, we're gonna wanna pick it up. At the end of the day, you have to understand, they are still a business, and they will find ways to maximize profit, by minimizing, stagnating their effort. Again, as I said earlier in this thread, this isn't solely a hobby for them, this is their livelihood. And they still have to adhere to deadlines, in order to provide content to their consumers as well as maintaining or increasing their cash flow. They're not a huge gaming company like Rockstar games, or EA, Activision that produces titles that they know millions will grab up. When there is maybe only hundreds of thousands who play these types of games. I think that is one huge aspect that you are overlooking, possibly.

Again, I would understand the frustration of them not implementing the full route, and I agree to a huge extent about what you're saying. But this is what they've adopted to, and they're doing it, because it's working. People want particular routes made, some too long to spend time on, that takes away the focus of many other projects that they have going on. Which in turn they figure do up to a certain point, release it, and then have a smaller team working on the extension while the other staff focuses their other resources on other upcoming projects. Otherwise, they would take even longer for content to get released.

TSW is still a title well in its infancy, and the routes we've been offered are all short, you really don't want them releasing content based on long distance routes this early. You saw what little they offered with GWE.

TS2018, on the other hand, they could definitely pull off the whole route, but as what has been observed, I predict you will find yourself a bit displeased (As I will, but with some healthy level of understanding), yet, I'm sure you will still purchase it, because:

1) I remember you being one of the people who has either proposed this route on their previous iteration of the site, and/or threw your support towards others who have also made similar proposals in relation to this route.

2) You can imagine the route will originate both out of Penn Station and GCT.

3) New Loco DLC will come of it, and also be put to use on the New Haven Section where it's relevant.. which in turn will inspire you to create scenarios.

4) It will:
    a) Come merged
    or
    b) Be merged, Danny, the route fusionist extraordinaire.

So for anyone who is in any way familiar with this, or take any interest in American commuter routes in general, will be purchasing it, with or without the intention of it being extended later, if they're intrigued enough, and want it that bad.

Well, I can agree with a lot of that. Unfortunately, that would also sort of open themselves up to having their backs against the wall about what content they should and should not make. The TS community is a hard one to please. While you may make few happy, you upset thousands others, vice versa.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Lawjester

Well I’ll take anything I can get in terms of LIRR and MNRR if it means just getting it to Croton Harmon on Metro North or getting it to Babylon or Speonk on the LIRR. My question is why don’t they just raise their prices and release the full content from the start rather then keeping a lower cost and releasing a route extension with another low cost? Just release the full route at a higher cost but with reason and then we won’t have to have bits and pieces. I’d rather pay more and get the full route then paying less initially and paying more eventually for the rest of the route.

• Like Like x 2
  46. rare_common_sense

In theory, that would work, sort of. But as you may well know, pricing has been one of the biggest issues about this game, according to endless complaints in the community, coming from old and new players. That may also become a trend the TS community definitely doesn't want, because after a while, paying higher price for DLC will then start to become the norm, and before you know it, you could paying close to $50-$60 at least for a route. It's best they stick to a price cap to alleviate confusion and all that. They released so many routes some short, and some very long. And what some routes may lack in length, they make up for with the amount of content/detail like locos, new scenery assets within them, so it somehow evens out at times.

• Like Like x 3
  47. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The P32AC-DM is diesel, but it can also run on third rail for 10 minutes. They run on third rail when going into GCT/NYP.

• Like Like x 2
  48. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

I would love to see this route in Train Simulator!

• Like Like x 5
  49. USRailFan007

As long as the route happens somewhere down the line, though i'd rather see a TSW version of the route, as would others, it'd be a long awaited and very great addition to either versions of the game.

• Like Like x 5
  50. NJT Railfan

NJT Railfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I meant TSW

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.