Future Roadmap

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SamYeager270, Jun 24, 2020.

1. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

As requested in the second quote this is a fresh thread to discuss the Roadmap. As mentioned in the second quote there's the issue of how timelines should be specified e.g. First quarter, February. Early 2021. How often should the Road map be released and updated? If unfortunately something is delayed then how should this be represented in the Roadmap?

To my mind there's merit in including some items that aren't specifically routes or locomotives e.g. additional/modified sliders for improved visual appearance for those with more powerful consoles or PCs or enhanced Scenario Planner functionality. Naturally such items shouldn't appear in the Roadmap until after proof of concept and confidence that such additional items can be fully implemented without adverse effect. I don't know if DTG makes passive provision for additional functionality that can subsequently be partially or fully switched on at a later date but I would like to think so.

What thoughts do other forum members have?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

I would create the Roadmap in a manner of the closer to release the more precise date and description.

For a Roadmap released around now would be something like:

6. August: Release TSW2
    2. half of August: Bugfix release
    September: ROUTE-DLC XYZ.. (With some details, maybe first pictures)
    Oktober: LOCO-DLC abc.. (With some details, maybe a teaser pictures)
    4. Quarter: Route DLC UK (unspecified details)
    Future: Feature X (in development and will come with high certainty, no features that are not in heavy development already)

• Like Like x 7
  3. seatsea

seatsea Active Member

I agree with this idea. Add more details, and more specific dates as content is closer to release once things are more certain and information can be release which couldn't earlier, such as because of licensing reasons. And if something gets delayed, even just saying "sorry this is taking longer than planed" would do wonders.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Definitely. Rather say sorry and simply delay the release than rush it. We all know where rushed game releases lead to.

5. james94

james94 Member

Am I right in saying the roadmap will be released a week before TSW2 is released? This is already a good start because they’re not jumping into anything too soon. I think they need to be as flexible as possible with it and constantly updating the roadmap is highly important.

Things they are confident will be finished maybe needs a specific month for release while other things that may not be finished or are in the early stages maybe needs ‘first quarter of the year’. This is what EA did with Star Wars Battlefront 2, they had some updates that used months and others that were ‘Fall’ or ‘Winter’ all on one roadmap which I think worked very well and kept players updated throughout, even when they stoped updating the game altogether.

Personally, I wouldn’t be bothered if they had to delay a release for whatever reason as long as DTG are as transparent as possible with it, tell us on the forums or social media there are problems and update the roadmap accordingly, people will be disappointed but they will/should understand.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Just remember that the timing of the roadmap, one week before TSW2 is released, makes it part of a marketing strategy, as opposed to a rigorously developed and gateway reviewed programme and project management plan.

I have no idea what the roadmap will include, but I reckon that every item on it will be carrot-flavoured (for customers to nibble on) and that there will be a distinct absence of sticks (for DTG to beat themselves with if they don't deliver).

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would have three basic sections:
    Routes In Progress
    Existing Details Issued
    Total Outstanding Reports

Unfortunately the acronym is RIP EDITOR...;)

Seriously though, if they had a list of known bugs in each DLC and a schedule of upcoming release possibilities (which could be as vague as Q1 2021, Route=1, Trains = 2) then that would keep people "in the loop but guessing"

• Like Like x 5
  8. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

"The list" was mentioned quite often for a time ... I think it's already forgotten ;-)

9. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

I think road maps are a waste of time... some people get fixated on them and then cry holy hell when things don't appear.
    Developers put themselves under pressure knowing there is usually a crap storm if they don't deliver.
    I can see a nice glossy road map put out before the punters, and then when a hiccup arrives in delivering?... mental break downs everywhere ''it's happening again''... ''were doomed''... ;)

• Like Like x 4
  10. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

I think I'm the only one not that fussed about a roadmap, I don't mind the "Willy Wonka Approach" (Nobody knows what's going on behind those gates until the next treat is delivered) but if the said roadmap is to materialise I would hope to see known issues and whether or not they were being worked on.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I'll reserve proper judgement until we actually see this roadmap....but I suspect it will be purposely vague. eg "North American route Q4 2020....UK route Q1 2021.....North American Loco Q1 2021" etc

Better than nothing I suppose...but a far cry to what some may be expecting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

The roadmap is a step forward as opposed to the constant "No news on...." replies we were getting if there was a reply at all. However, there's nothing to say that they have to stick to it or even deny it's existence in a few months time. We shall wait and see.

Personally, the whole release seems vague. Other than the initial announcement and release date what else have we been told?

Don't get me wrong, I know there's not going to be something everyday, but sometimes I get the feeling there's is no kind of pre release schedule. One day in a stream, the next Q&A could be this week, the next day, it could be this week but it might be next week.

Same goes for the "Preserved Collection". Why not come clean and say, "We're working at getting X, Y and Z available at launch, hopefully there may be more", rather than saying not all DLC's may be available on release.

Just a lot of niggling things for me personally that is making this new openess they're claiming to have look a little more like PR than a real desire to be open.

We'll just wait and see what future announcements bring, just my opinion!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Best way to be, and I think the reasons boil down to that they haven't finished the product. They've said that the features and routes are even now in development, even though they've given a release date. SO they probably can't give too much info without breaking their "Yes or no" policy, because right now there'd be more no's than yes's (yes I know bad punctuation)

• Like Like x 2
  14. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

The wait for more information can be frustrating, but you'll have all the information needed before TSW2 is available to decide whether it's right for you or not (or wait a bit longer).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

Have you decided on the roadmap format?
    - on Dovetail Live site
    - weekly/monthly article
    - forum thread
    etc etc.

I'm really curious about this and how much information you are planning to provide.

16. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

But we want it now oh mighty one! :D