PC Csx Gp40 Lights Not Working Coupled To Other Engines

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by thundakid23, Jun 19, 2020.

1. thundakid23

thundakid23 Member

hi there i wonder if anybody can help me i was playing a scenario involving the gp40 csx train with two of them i set the trail one to coupled at both end and the lead one to coupled to long hood end but i cant for the life of me get the back lights working only as a single or intermediate unit all the light switches were all turned off all the other engines work fine

2. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...are you still having trouble with the lighting not working correctly on your CSX GP40-2, or has that issue been resolved at this point? I’m on a PS4, not a PC, but would suggest the following if you’re not already doing this. I checked out the lighting functionality on a CSX GP38-2 in my NEC route using the following settings, and the rear headlight worked just fine.

in lead loco:
    headlight control switch (rotary switch): controlling, with unit connected at long hood end
    rear headlight on/off switch (slide switch), if present: set to on
    rear headlight brightness switch (rotary switch): set to bright

in trailing loco:
    headlight control switch (rotary switch): controlled, by unit connected at either end
    rear headlight on/off switch (slide switch), if present: set to off
    rear headlight brightness switch (rotary switch): set to off

3. thundakid23

thundakid23 Member

hi there thanks so much for the reply i am still having trouble with it i had the lead loco to to unit connected to long hood end and the trail loco to connected to either end they just wont at all come on on the rear i have to set the trail loco to single or intemediate unit for them to work the rest of the other engines work fine no problems with them its just this one loco im having problems with

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  4. Stockton Rails

Interesting... does your GP40-2 have slide switches that only turn the front/rear headlights on or off? If so, is the slide switch for the rear headlight set to on in the lead unit? Or do you have rotary switches that control on/off and brightness for the front/rear headlights? In this case, make sure the rotary switch for the rear headlight is set to on + bright.

You might’ve done all of this already... I’m just making sure we’ve covered all of the bases. And if you have, and the headlight for the rear unit is still a problem, it’s entirely possible you’re hitting a bug. Have you searched the forums for info on anyone else having this problem?

5. ht-57

ht-57 Member

Im on pc , and I am also confirming in a multi unit lash up of gp40-2's the rear head lt doesn't work from controlling unit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stockton Rails

Thanks for pitching in with info on this... I wondered if we were hitting a bug. Do you know if this issue was ever submitted to support, to find out if they already have a bug filed for this?

7. ht-57

ht-57 Member

IDK if a formal ticket has been submitted for this.

8. thundakid23

thundakid23 Member

i have filled a ticket out to them regarding this also the heater doesnt move either the passenger one near the brake valve

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  9. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

It doesn't get any warmer, even if the heater switch did work! :cool:

10. thundakid23

thundakid23 Member

it doesn't no but its the attention to detail i mean it works in the other engines
    :)

11. thundakid23

thundakid23 Member

i have heard from dovetail support and they said The locomotive has a switch on the wall behind the engineer’s seat that has four settings. These allow you to set up the way the headlights will work on the other locomotives in the consist.

Single Unit or Intermediate Unit
    In this setting, the locomotive will not react to headlight instructions coming from other locomotives in the consist. The headlights, if required, must be set up using the normal switches on the control stand.

Controlling with Unit Coupled at Long Hood End
    Use this setting if this locomotive is the controlling unit for the lighting configuration (usually this would be the lead locomotive), and the next unit in the consist is coupled to this locomotive’s long hood end.

Controlling with Unit Coupled at Short Hood End
    Use this setting if this locomotive is the controlling unit for the lighting configuration (usually this would be the lead locomotive), and the next unit in the consist is coupled to this locomotive’s short hood end.

Controller from Another Unit Coupled at Either End
    If this unit should respond to lighting commands from a controlling unit then use this setting.

i have told them i have tried all of this and its still not working and its a bug within the GP40-2 dlc