Advanced Hud Signal Aspects

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pschlik, Oct 16, 2017.

1. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

One thing said about the signals on the HUD in TSW was "the HUD is able to provide as little or as much information about the signalling as you desire" and right now, as much information as possible is still quite limited. You only get to know if a signal says there is nothing to worry about (green), something to worry about (yellow), or to stop (red). So what I think could be done is adding a third option to the HUD Signal Aspect. Not just off/on, but off/simple/advanced. Keep the simple there for people like Matt who think that adding extra aspects would be too chaotic, while having advanced there for people who want to know some more.

Mockup hype!
    Best way to show off what I mean is with a mockup of aspects that would still be reasonable to show on the HUD.
    Order of the list sorta represents what you would see in a chain of signals.
    UK Signal Enhance.jpg
    To be reasonable, this does not include things like the feathers, that would be hard to fit in, or theater indicators. The focus is on the lights themselves, not the extra bits.
    CSX Signal Enchance.jpg
    Due to (eastern) America's speed based signals, there are more light-distinct aspects to consider. Though this list is bigger, you wouldn't see all of these for most of the time, it's just that when you do see one, it's much more important to know the exact aspect in America than it is in the UK. Note that 3-head aspects are not included, as many of those have a 2-head aspect counterpart that could cover for the 3-head aspect...except on speed.

Speaking of speed based signals, it would be very nice to have an extra speed limit marker (like the existing one but yellow in color) on the HUD speedometer defining the signal speed limit. Germany does this a lot too, and it is probably even more important in Germany than America.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

I think this is a very good point since it seems pretty clear that DTG will be producing a German route next. Given the complexity of their light sequences and associated speed restrictions it would really help the less experienced of us, including me, if DTG can give advanced warning of the lights and especially the associated speed restrictions.

3. 37114

37114 Active Member

Personally I would much prefer if DTG would concentrate on getting the signalling operating in the manner it's supposed to before displaying it in the HUD.

4. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

I think it uses too much screenspace.
    Why not use the dorman signal standard to display dual signal aspects?

5. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

It uses the exact same amount of screenspace....

6. BenDragon81037

BenDragon81037 Member

Apologies, the way you created the concept image is not exactly clear.