More Keyboard Control

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by pschlik, Oct 22, 2017.

1. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of new things that could really use some control via the keyboard rather than being forced to click on something.

DRA-Dra needs to be manipulated using the mouse right now. Often I recall DRA being set to Y by default, and Y is not used right now, so why not?

Guard buzzer-As scenarios require you to use the guard buzzer, you often end up in an odd situation, being forced to grab the mouse, go into the cab, and manually click and hold the guard buzzer. I imagine more trains will have guard buzzers, so a keybind of it's own is worthy. A key that's out of the way, like U, would be appropriate for a default keybind.

Doors! Opening that TAB menu can be very annoying. Actual keybinds for the doors would be nice. T is the usual one, and nothing else uses it, so T would work nicely as an automatic "do the doors for me!" button that automatically opens the doors on the correct side(s) and hitting it again just closes the doors.

Train length-now that the 66 has train length I think (hope) we can expect future locomotives to have a train length button...and hopefully past locomotives too. That's one that can be annoying to need to go into the cab to activate as a good driver would be using it a lot. A good default key for this would be R, it's close to the important stuff and not used by anything else.

Spotter buttons-I can not stress how absurdly annoying it is to need to stare at those darn spotter buttons while using them. They are in such a bad place which compounds with the fact that they need to be clicked which makes them super annoying to work with because you can't look at where you are going while using them. Adding a keybind that relates to the existing ones would make sense, I think Ctrl+W for forward and Ctrl+S for reverse makes it intentional enough to not accidentally happen, but close enough to existing things to make sense and be done on one hand.

There are also some keyboard controls that can not be rebound, and every key command deserves its own rebind option!

Crossovers. Did you know you can hit C/Shift+C to open the crossovers on the US locomotives? Well, you can't rebind it to anything else.

Master key. No matter what reverser forward is set to, master key is still Ctrl+W. Could cause some issues.

Step/platform lights. If you didn't know, K toggles the step lights and platform lights on the US locomotives. But there's no way to rebind that either.

The AC44 horn sequencer. I doubt everyone knows that Ctrl+Space activates the AC4400CW's horn sequencer-that is never mentioned! And like the master key, changing your horn key does not change the sequencer, so it deserves its own setting.

If I forgot anything, bring it up!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2