Intel Nuc Suitable For Ts2020

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aryffordd, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Hi, I’m new here, and already I’m asking for advice :) I’ll try and be brief, but it is kinda complicated.

The short version is this:

Would an Intel NUC with an i3 10110U Processor (Base 2.1 GHz, Boost 4.10 GHz – full specs here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u.../intel-nuc-10-performance-kit-nuc10i3fnh.html ) with a 240GB m2 SSD and 16gb RAM, connected to a Thunderbolt 3 eGPU (Razer Core X with a Radeon RX 570 8GB), run TS2020 reasonably well? Ideally at 1440p but if not I’d be happy with 1080p?

The long version with context:

I started out on TSW2020 on PS4, but I wanted something a little more challenging, so installed TS2020 on my Macbook Pro (with an i5 7360U 2.3GHz and 8gb RAM) under Bootcamp. I love it, its amazing and there's something about TS that makes me prefer it over TSW, but sadly, Bootcamp and Windows 10 doesn’t work with my eGPU (mentioned above) and the built-in Iris Plus 640 integrated graphics are crap – I can only run it with low settings at about 1280x800 to get any kind of acceptable framerate (and even then its in the 25-45fps range). That’s sort of doable on a 13” screen but looks pretty ropey on my desktop monitor.

I don’t really want two computers, but in my mind, it’d probably be far better to save space on my Mac’s internal SSD, delete Bootcamp, transfer the Win10 licence and reuse the eGPU and RX 570 by plugging it into a NUC with twice as much memory, SSD space and a newer processor. As I’ve already got a graphics card and eGPU enclosure, monitor, keyboard, mouse, Win10 licence, it means I could potentially have a decent shot of playing TS2020 for a fraction of what a gaming PC costs. It also means the Mac and the PC can share the same graphics card by swapping one cable when needed, and means that if I ever upgraded the card, both computers effectively get upgraded at the same time.

Any thoughts?

[deleted slightly grumpy extra points]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2020
  2. RGoo

RGoo Member

Your Nuc should easily be enough to run Train Simulator comfortably on both 1080p and 1440p in higher (but perhaps not highest) settings. Make sure to use overclock though as 2.1 ghz is not enough to run it well

3. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Thank you RGoo, I'll see if there's something similar with a higher clock speed that doesn't add too much to the price.

• Like Like x 2