Moving Assets To Another Machine.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pookeyhead, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Hypothetical question:

Person A needs a certain asset to run a route/scenario, but DTG no longer publishes said asset. Could it be copied over from another machine belonging to person B, that does have that asset on it?

This is in no way a question re: game piracy, but simply a way to get a desperately needed scenario/route working when certain required assets of a certain red and black colour are no longer available.

I think you can see where this is going.

Apologies if this breeches any policy on piracy etc. That's not my intention... I've spent a fortune on TS/TSW... just trying to fix a problem not of my making here.

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I think not ... except...

Well it's been a while since I've done this but I have used two Steam accounts on the same machine. One is mine the other my dad's (it's his system and I set him up with TS thinking he'd like to at least like to try it though he never did- never will now but anyway...). Well I have extra DLC which is installed on Dad's system as well as mine of course while there has been nothing added to Dad's account but I did notice that in some instances when running TS on his log-in it had access to some of my assets.

Specifically (IIRC) I could drive on WCML North but I was unable to use a loco' I'd bought at the same time so, even if your hypothetical person B was happy to let person A use their log-in to install things, I think you... er... A will be out of luck. Perhaps I should mention that I am not attempting to, and have not attempted to, pirate anything- everything was bought quite legitimately and this is just something I noticed (and brought to Steam's attention at the time BTW so it may have been fixed).

Best advice is probably to use RW Tools to substitute the rolling stock in the scenario(s).

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would imagine that if you tried to do this the license lock would either block the DLC or lock your game (never tried so don't know if or which)

4. Pookeyhead

Yeah... I imagine so. Just kind of desperately clutching at straws here. Why are Virgin such a bunch of tossers? Why would it matter to them if their trains a featured in a game or not? [edit by Protagonist - watch the language]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2020
  5. ARuscoe

Brand protection, and don't forget Arriva have done the same so it's not just Virgin

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2020
  6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You can get trains in Virgin Livery by obtaining a repaint
    Why can somebody else do it and not DTG - because the repaint is Free

7. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

There is the option to do something called "family sharing". Since he is clearly family, this would give him the ability to access your content. All of it. Including that Virgin Pendolino. Without having to buy it or hack it somehow. Frankly, I'm surprised this has NOT come up yet.

Something to note: when family sharing is active and the shared account is using a game, starting a game on the hosting account will kick them out. Same rules as for using your own account on multiple machines. You can't have both accounts playing your games at the same time. Note that he can also host your account for any games he owns that you don't, but again, him starting his own games kicks you out of any you're playing of his. The sharing applies to the ENTIRE collection, not just single games (i.e. if you own NASCAR Heat 4, Grand Theft Auto V, or even HuniePop, he has access to them all).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  8. Pookeyhead

Brand protection against what? Why? What could possibly be the negative outcome from a train in a computer game with your brand on it? Seems pedantic in the extreme. Why only withdraw permission to use the brand when they lost the franchise? It's just nonsense, and highly annoying. So many routes and scenarios are not unobtainable for me because I never got the required assets due to being a relative new user of Train Sim. Why can't DTG merely change the routes to no longer include Virgin (or whoever else's) trains? It must be VERY annoying for those who make the third party content as well, as basically, the only people who can purchase or appreciate are those who already have the assets required.. no one else can.

9. Cyclone

There is the possibility that a company may be concerned about the possible damage that can be done by creating a train crash scene (let's say tumbling down a Canadian mountain) and saying no, we don't want people memeing that and hurting us. So there is that as a possible reason a company might NOT want to be in the game.

However, that is an extreme reason. It's really more of a licensing issue. Virgin has a new owner, so the license that existed with the old owner is void and has to be negotiated. I'm assuming DTG is not taking chances keeping products up for sale that can no longer be sold without the lack of a license even though it was created fully within the confines of the previous license. Perhaps someone like DTG Steve would be able to give a more cohesive reply to this tomorrow when they're back at work for the new week.

Also, I've asked a lot of the same questions you have, and also am not happy with limitations by removed content. I wish a backup would be provided, but it seems this is not possible. North Wales Coastal and Cajon Pass are both used still in the workshop - and occasionally Stevens Pass - and I've seen NWC full extended route used outside the workshop since removal as well. So yes, it's annoying to see a new scenario by a person whose content you like and want to try...but sorry, you cannot drive here. Train swapping CAN be done (albeit perhaps with side effects in some cases, but take what you can get), but route swapping is impossible. So yes, I wish an alternate version of the route using the same basic route files could be made available. That said, DTG has its reasons for doing what they do, and perhaps having that alternate version breaks the game - possibly because the train in one version isn't in the other, therefore you will still be unable to load the scenario. Yes, TS-Tools addresses this, but this is more of an advanced user thing.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  10. ARuscoe

Against people using their branding in ways they don't want it to be used. They own the intellectual property and they get to say in general how it's used, and how long for. If you had a brand you would have the same protections.
    To you, maybe, but then are you someone who Virgin considers vital to their brand image?
    Who says they aren't? They may just not have released them yet (hopefully in full TfW livery)
    Loads of content has requirements people don't have. Many who make such content don't seem to care how spurious the requirements are, or purposely go out of their way to include payware in their routes, for their own reasons I'm sure

It sucks, but that's how it is

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Just another person who is new to the game and he is spitting his dummy out because he cannot get something :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cyclone

OK, look. I could make this argument for Armstrong Powerhouse because every single DLC has scenarios that require other Armstrong Powerhouse DLC. I have not found one that is stand-alone. You either swap locos out and potentially break the scenario or you buy the entire catalog because everything will in turn be linked to the various scenarios.

However, saying that, they do the same thing other people do. While in their case they produce those particular locos and enhancement packages, other scenario creators tend to want to create content that is close to real life. To do this, you have to have certain trains. Someone using DPSimulation's route schedule timetable information is going to see what trains go where, and which livery is used on it (something like that). Therefore, those trains get used. Some routes use VERY heavy numbers of trains to make it as realistic as possible, and many a computer will break under the strain of all that traffic (and possibly under the DLC itself if a lot of packages are utilized). This means you will often need the matching locos. You can cycle out or even delete trains in Ts-Tools, but again, this can break how the scenario operates and cause its own issues, so do this with care. It's something you CAN do and you don't have to buy other DLC at all, however.

13. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

There are typically clauses built into the agreements we sign with Licensors that prohibits the sale of content featuring their brand once an agreement comes to an end. Most licensing agreements are limited term contracts which expire after a couple of years and require renewal. If an agreement is not renewed, then we enter a period known as a sell-off which grants us a limited amount of time to continue to sell the content before then requiring us to withdraw it permanently.

In the case where an organisation's franchise has ended, and is now being represented by an entirely separate entity, it is illegal for them to knowingly enter into an agreement representing the interests of another organisation, as would be the case if they extended an agreement with us.

This does not prevent us from relaunching a product in a different form than previous, which is what we are doing. However, Licensing agreements take time to establish and the current global situation isn't helping matters.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Cyclone

Thank you for that reply. I believe this would be good for people to refer back to should this question ever come up again in another thread.