Working Passenger Information Screens And Announcements?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by londonmidland, Jun 28, 2020.

1. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how many requests or threads I'm going to have to make until this even gets considered but could the developers PLEASE implement this? If not both, then one or the other?

The latest announcement (pun not intended) of the Bakerloo Line for TSW 2 with no working platform screens or announcements is a pretty big immersion killer, as both are a common sight and sound on the London Underground.

Not just for the London Underground, but pretty much every route and trains in real life have announcements and destination screens. As well as destination screens on the platforms. It also helps the player know when the next train is due and also its destination.

This has been missing since day one of launch of TSW 1. It's beyond me as to why or how this still hasn't been implemented into TSW. Even a basic station message and displaying a digital clock is better than the screens constantly looking blank.

• Like Like x 6
  2. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I don't get the obsession with these, I'd rather the time and effort for what is a cosmetic thing (I mean can you hear them in the cab?) was put into other parts of the game

• Like Like x 6
  3. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Yes, totally agree londonmidland, I think the Passanger information system is a >Must have< in TSW. Announements would also be nice.
    When I look at the platforms all the displays are dead, Dtg is not protecting its existing passengers if a train is stopping or passing by that's kind of sad and very dangerous as well. But they've done it halfway again but at least they've done it, I think the people working on the trains sad, oh yeah we could do something useful like that, but the route section don't seem having time for that. Whatever. But can understand the copyright of the announements though. Besides in GWE there are also working announements if I'm not mistaken. So either all or nothing. I can't see a system, doing announements and P.I.S. for only some routes. Keyword uniformly? Ok well, I live in the 21st century and I think I can expect getting some P.I.S. can I? Or do you want to tell me that I can fly to the moon but not getting P.I.S. I think it would take less time when making this myself, cmon seriously it can't be so hard rendering the destinations.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Each route is a system within itself, so it's not exactly as easy as saying "Well it works in Paddington, why not Cologne?"

They SHOULD be able to design a pretty simple PIS interface especially when it's just scrolling lights, but I don't know how hard that is within UE, then again I could do something like that in html if I put my mind to it, so a software house (?) should be able to do better than a rank amateur
    The trick would be to get the PIS to interface with the dispatcher, and to include stations outside of the actual game to appear. For instance if the HST you're driving is actually from Paddington to Bristol you would need the PIS to also include Didcot parkway, Swindon, Chippenham, Bath Spa and Bristol Temple Meads, none of which are in game
    And given the upcoming scenario creator you'd need a way of incorporating these stations into that so people could put them on PIS without the game trying to route people there

• Like Like x 1
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

If train Sim world is a sim, then announcements should be part of tsw. If world of subways 3 can have announcements, then I don't understand why tsw2 can't have them, especially if it's a "new game" DTG has made a ton of money and if they have the licenses, then they can't have any excuse as to why we can't have in train announcements. If OpenBVE can, then surely tsw2 can. Announcements are the staple of the London Underground.

• Like Like x 1
  6. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Yep, every system is different. But for example on ECW you've already got destinations outside the represented area. So it works. I am also no expert in UE and C++ but I can do it kind of in python and javascript so should not really be a huge difference. You just need to write all stations into a text document install some rendering module adjust font, size, and the position and angle so should be doable for a company making 40 mile routes I think right?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

On the most recent screen shot for the underground I was a little disheartened to see the passenger boards completely blank. Not even a "Welcome to platform ##". Train-Sim-World-2---03---Bakerloo---LOGO.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  8. mlouie100

mlouie100 Well-Known Member

9. tallboy7648

If a game like OpenBVE which is free have in train announcements for all the underground routes, why can't tsw2, it doesn't make sense and costs are surely not a reason since they make so much money. It's absolutely stupid

• Like Like x 2
  10. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

Let's say I was trying to be role-playing as a passenger from Paddington Station(Example) on a HST Or A 166 and I wanted to get to Acton Mainline or a HST Stopping At Slough the PIS (Passenger Info Screens) In Real life say '19:30 to Bristol TM on P1 With Stops At Slough, Reading' etc. Or the '13:20 Stopping Service To Reading On P13 Stops At Acton Mainline, Ealing Broadway, West Ealing' etc
    So Why Isn't it simulated it makes it easier for it to be implemented for TSW 2

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  11. tallboy7648

Matt says anything is possible so then it's possible to have working destination boards, working station displays and in train announcements. I don't see why they wouldn't add it to tsw2 if it's a "new game"

12. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Or when you terminate at the end station and you can then walk around the platforms looking for the next arriving train or next departing train

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

The Densha de GO! games always had next station announcements and such, and they are from the 2000s! For example Densha de GO! Final is from 2004 and they have authentic next station announcements for every station on every route, they even recreated the unique door closing jingles for every station on the Yamanote Line (instead of using just a generic one).

Game devs could do it in 1996-2004, but not in 2020, apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Game devs found it important to work on... I doubt they're incapable now, just not getting the time allocation

15. tallboy7648

For a company like dtg, not having in train announcements is just silly if a company in the 2000s can

16. First capital connect

First capital connect Well-Known Member

I get station anouncments

• Like Like x 1
  17. djhawtin1

djhawtin1 Well-Known Member

Hey bet you Do your first capital Connect lol

18. First capital connect

19. First capital connect

No but I litteraly get station anouncments on the great Western mainline

• Like Like x 1
  20. tallboy7648

Yes some lady in the station gives muffled announcements for great western express

• Like Like x 3