PlayStation Videos Of Actual German Rail Traffic

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Stockton Rails, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

...here’s a link to nice 2018 video of a variety of German rail traffic passing through the Frankfurt Süd station (full HD, incl ICE trains). Just passing this along... will post more vids of German rail traffic as I run into them.

• Like Like x 4
  2. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Nice, it goes well with the new ICE route coming to TSW 2, can’t wait to drive at 155mph for the first time!:)

• Like Like x 3
  3. Stockton Rails

...and here’s a link to a shorter 2018 video of a variety of train traffic passing though the Aschaffenburg station- incl a peek at a special Daher 32-axle rail transport vehicle designed to move (seriously) heavy loads.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stockton Rails

...glad you liked the video. I thought the guy that filmed it did a good job- no silly music music playing to distract from the video... it’s the way I used to film. And yeah, I can’t *wait* to check out the ICE train either, as well as CSX HH of course... both of these are big pluses for me in TSW 2.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Thanks for those videos. They have reminded me of some elements that I am missing in the game. There are these round objects with a flat, pale white front, several dashes arranged in a circular pattern and two rotating pointers. We call them Bahnhofsuhren in Germany, and they can be found at every station, at larger stations even on every platform. I doubt there's such a thing in the UK, otherwise the devs would probably have known what it is and how to implement it.
    I also apologize for not having translated the term, but I have to assume that there is no word for it in English. XD

• Like Like x 3
  6. Stockton Rails

...ah, Bahnhofsuhren or ‘station clocks’ in English (sounded like a clock to me based on your ‘clinical’ description of it, but I used Google Translate just in case). Not sure which German routes you have in TSW 2020, but I’ve seen at least some station clocks in the Ruhr-Sieg Nord and in the Main-Spessart Bahn routes... but they are definitely not in place at all of the stations.

Thanks for your very funny note... it made me laugh, and we could all use more of that these days!

• Like Like x 2
  7. MetrolinkF125#916

U pulled up a very interesting point here. As for “station clocks”, I haven’t seen those in any TSW route. Unless RSN does have a few of them, I doubt they work. I guess it’s all a matter of also having working station announcements and ETA boards, then we would have station clocks. I also think they’re only seen on older routes since practically every rail line upgraded to electronic. Anyways, my point is that the fact that these station clocks or ETA boards are missing really highlights what DTG could’ve done in the development of TSW 2. I’m not gonna drive this thread off topic I just really wanted to point this out.

• Like Like x 2
  8. MetrolinkF125#916

Also, that Daher vehicle looks a lot like US MOW vehicles, such as track repair vehicles (those that uproot the track, put more in, and basically handle sideline maintenance of the tracks), along with cranes that place derailed locos back on the tracks, or load them onto flatcars for repair or scrapping, happened in those train wrecks of the past.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Stockton Rails

...now you’ve got me thinking- let me do some checking later today on the stations that do have clocks and I’ll compile that info here for now. I think I’ve seen working clocks at some of the stations, and those clocks were in sync with the time reported in the HUD clock- but again, I can confirm all of that.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Stockton Rails

...this is exactly what I thought too- that this vehicle was some sort of MoW vehicle (though it would be the largest one I’ve ever seen). I then google’d the name I saw on the side of it (Daher) and went to their website, where I found it was the largest vehicle they make for moving ridiculously heavy loads. Crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

There are indeed lots of German railway videos to be found on Youtube, and any voice-over (when available) is mostly done in German. It would be quite a task to translate them completely, so don't expect me to do this. But if there's something you'd like to have explained, just let me know.

I was looking to find some footage which would enable me to compare RL with the ingame stations, and to be able to find the station clocks (as mentioned in my previous post). Really, there are clocks in the game on the RSN route in Finnentrop, Werdohl, Altena and Hohenlimburg, but not at the other stations. Next I checked the RRO route, because Hagen main station is represented on both routes. I used these two cab view videos as a reference:

The first video (filmed in 2017) shows an eastbound train on its way to the depot, starting in Wuppertal and using the S-Bahn line via Gevelsberg to Hagen. It has no commentary, just the original sound (Originalton is the German term for that).
    The second video (done in 2018) goes westbound from Hagen via Ennepetal and Wuppertal to Düsseldorf. It has a driver's commentary in German.

It was, all in all, a rather disappointing comparison, because there are really lots of differences clearly visible. And, to be honest, the German railway company (Deutsche Bahn) isn't very quick to convert or modernise its stations. The tracks and the positions of the stations are well done though. Just let me name some of the more obvious differences I have seen: the shape of several platform roofs, the track numbers that are often depicted in an incomplete way (white numbers on blue panels where the part indicating the direction of travel is missing), the missing wagon location plates (white capital letters A to E on blue square panels), and of course the missing station clocks. Alas, as seen in the videos, the Deutsche Bahn obviously decided they won't be necessary on every small S-Bahn station.

NB: I just checked the stations on the MSB route quite thoroughly. There's exactly one station clock at Gemünden, none everywhere else.
    Finally, on the Rapid Transit route I found clocks at almost every station. The HRR route would be the last one, but I didn't buy that DLC yet.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  12. MetrolinkF125#916

And I assume, when you said “ridiculously heavy loads” that the vehicle can (and is maybe used) for transporting locomotives. Of course when locos are manufactured they are delivered in a style like any freight car, meaning that they are placed on the tracks and run like “dummy” units, pulled by the working lead locomotive. What I meant to say when I said “transporting locomotives”, was that maybe it’s used to transport old locos, such as scrapped (or to be scrapped) locos or locomotives in need of maintenance such as abandoned locos?

• Like Like x 1
  13. MetrolinkF125#916

It could also be for other things, I just wanted to say that since I remembered looking at a google image with a flatcar and a locomotive on it, had about 8 axles, and was delivering it to a foreign customer.

14. Stockton Rails

Yeah, it looks like Daher has a wide range of equipment designed to handle a variety of heavy loads, and not just via rail. And depending on the center ‘carrier‘ being used between the support ends, it could definitely be used to carry large scrap pieces. What a beast... think I counted a total of 32 axles on that vehicle in the video.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Stockton Rails

Thanks for the info on stations with clocks in RSN... I checked that route yesterday and came up with the same list- just four stations. I did notice that Hagen has electronic displays on platforms that would probably handle clock duties, but those are not functional in the sim. And kind of crazy about just one station clock in the entire MSB route... I haven’t checked that route yet.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Stockton Rails

...two more nice videos of DB/ICE and other train traffic at the Düsseldorf and Köln Hbfs:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  17. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

Hi, this is an IC cabview video from Dortmund to Koln. Hope you like it and enjoy it!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Stockton Rails

...I always like to check out cab-view videos when I can find them (especially on routes I might be familiar with), thanks for posting!

• Like Like x 1
  19. MetrolinkF125#916

Wow, at minute 6:55 that train’s traction motors sound like either a diesel locomotive starting up or a NYC subway EMU, it really matches their sounds! Anyways, nice vids, can’t wait for when the new ICE route comes out so I can try it out and see if TSW matches real life Köln station and the ICE 3M!

20. MetrolinkF125#916

I forgot to mention, minute 6:55 is in the first video if anyone wants to find it:)