The Catch Never Fished Or Played A Fishing Game

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wintersmith81, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Wintersmith81

Wintersmith81 Member

So as it says I've never fished or played a fishing game but I've become more and more interested in fishing so I picked the game up just to give it a try.

The biggest problem is I'm not sure what to upgrade my tackle to. Also that's the difference with it all? Say the hooks you pick a size but there is 4types of the same size, so is it just the brand name that's different and you just go for your favourite?

This runs though out the gear you get. Do you just pick a brand then the size, type etc

• Like Like x 1
  2. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

The size of your hooks will help figure out the size of the fish you're hunting. The smaller the number the bigger the fish. After that you look at what type of bottom terrain you will be fishing in. So far, almost 80% is silt so that would be a good one to go for. Next would be bottom or floater. My common set up would be a number 6 or 2 hook with 15m or 20m tiger nuts for carp ( bait is subjective) with 30 or 40lbs line. A Sonic gravity XT 13ft pole for those long casts and big fights, and the BP 10 reel. This set up makes me tons of money on Pearl. Screenshot_20200703-232659.png

3. Wintersmith81

Wintersmith81 Member

That's cool thank you but, what's the difference with all the say size 4 hooks and I don't mean the type of bottoms. You have I think 4 type of each hook but made by different companies. Are they the same in the end of the day?

Also should I go for just the plane hook or the one with the ball attached?

• Like Like x 1
  4. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

In some cases it's just the manufacturer. For example, you have 3 different size 6 weed hooks. They all do the exact same thing, just made by different brands. That's for carp and cat fishing. Then you have floaters for small fishing. Some are better for clear waters, mostly the only thing the game sees is hook size.
    Next you have drop shot, jig head, and no weight. Drop shots are for bottom fishing. They can use soft plastics and shads. Good for catching bottom predators. Drop shots are broken up by weight and hook size. In real world fishing, too much weight means you won't feel a lighter fish eating your bait. To light, and your rig is floating down stream. It's new to Dove Tail so I'm not sure how they are figured into the game mechanics.
    Jig heads( the hooks with the ball on top) are sorted by size and weight. They use soft plastics to mimic the movent of real fish and other creatures. The ball, or head, at the top of the hook is there to look like the head of the creature and the plastic is the body. These are used mostly for going after predators. Which ones to use when is still a thing many people debate. A good rule of thumb is to mimic the bait fish the predators normally feed on.
    No weight line are there to use lures. There are many different types of lures and all of them are used to hunt predators. Top waters stay on top of the water. Things like frogs and small bait fish or minnows. Their shape, sound and movement or what attract fish. Crankbaits and diving crankbaits all dive below the surface to hunt the fish that live on the bottom. Spinners and buzzbaits work on both the top and deeper into the water to attract fish by the use of sound. Which ones to use when is something that fisherman are always trying to understand. As a general rule of thumb, if it's bright cloudless sky and very clear water use something that is shiny or white or reflective. If you have cloudy skies or very muddy waters then you'll want to use something that's darker or far more colorful that will attract attention.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wintersmith81

Wintersmith81 Member

Mate wow!! This is amazing thank you for taking the time to explain all this. I think I'm getting there and probably just need to practice and play more but this is a mega help!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

No worries. I'm glad it helps. The best rule in fishing is to always be willing to try something new.

7. Wintersmith81

Wintersmith81 Member

Dose bate make a difference? Also should I just get the 30/40 line and just always use that?

• Like Like x 1
  8. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

Bait does make a difference. Some fish like certain things. My pop used to say "All bait is proven bait. Proven to work. Or proven not to work". With bait, it's all about trial and error. As for lines, in the real world they are extremely important. Not so much in games. The idea is that you only want to use a strong enough line to pull in the upper weight of your target fish. If you fishing for Artic Char with a upper weight of around 15 pounds then you would use a line that could pull them in. Like a 10 or 12lbs line. You also what to keep that line hidden from the fish ( they are smarter then you think.) If they see it, they won't come close or take the bait. This is why you do not use an 80lbs line to pull in a 4lbs fish. In this game , however, you can do things like catch a European perch on a 40lbs line with a number 10 hook ( you would normally use a 3lbs line and a number 18 or 20 hook).

9. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

Now the one thing I haven't worked out yet is if using smaller, or correct lines, increases your bites in this game. In the real world it would be almost the only way to get bites.

10. Wintersmith81

Wintersmith81 Member

Again thank you, I think I'm starting to get an idea. Going to just keep messing with different baits etc.
    No what's the difference with each of the spools? Do I just go for the most expensive? Same with rods? Just get the biggest? Rod action is that your cast speed?

• Like Like x 1
  11. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

Rod action is how stuff the rod is. The faster the action the stiffer the rod. Fast rods are good at fighting big fish, but pretty bad at things like jigging and twitching. Medium rods are good all rounders and slow rods are great for making baits and lures dance. The longer the rod, the further the cast is a pretty good rule. Reels or spools are a whole science. Quick, dirty rules. Low gears put more pressure on fish, good for fighting large or slow fish with a lit of strength. So something like a 4.1:1is a low speed reel and thus puts a lot of pressure on the fish( wearing them out faster). High speed reels are good for fighting small or fast fish. The snap up line quicker so you can keep a higher average tension on the line. A high speed reel would be a 6.0:1. I will say that sometimes speed kills. The way you read the gear on a spool is 4.1:1 so the bale will spin 4.1 times for every 1 complete rotation of the arm. Also, how it feels to your style works too.

12. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

I will say that the expensive ones are expensive for a reason

13. Wintersmith81

Wintersmith81 Member

Again, thank you for this!! It's all quite mind blowing to a new player/fisher. Now going to have a play and do some testing. I'm catching fish just no bosses yet but that's ok as I'm still getting use to it all.

Again thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

• Like Like x 1
  14. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

Glad I could help. As for bosses, I'm almost 400 fish in and I've only found 6. I don't think they all spawn at the same time or during the same weather. And , looking at the catch Reports, they move around the lake with a few common hot spots. It's like trying to solve a puzzle.

15. Wintersmith81

Wintersmith81 Member

I'm kind of glad there hard to come by. Makes it more fun and exciting when you go hook one.

One more question if you don't mind. Dose it matter where you cast to? Like at the moment I just cast out into the middle of the lake or where ever. Should I try and cast as far as I can or some just off land casting is good? Also I hear about people casting in to weeds?

16. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

One last thing. When you find a spot or a rig that works, abuse the snot out of it. Right now I've pulled up almost 30 fish in under 40 minutes using my current set up and location. Loch Mickle, sunrise, light clouds. Just to the right of the northern dock are two grouping of weeds. Through your line there and profit. Don't even have to get on the boat. I'm using a Sonic Vader X Telescopic 10f. A SKSC Commercial reel. 20lb baitshack mono mainline. No weight. And a Strike pro buster spoon- blue chrome-silver. Cast at about 50 to 55 % strength and set your drag to 30. Set your reel speed to 3 and pull constant. More fish then you can hope for.

17. bloodtheory

bloodtheory Member

Yes, where you cast matters. Different fish live in different places. For example some predators like cover so fishing near water lilies will have them striking out from underneath them. Just randomly casting out can sometimes be lucky much like firing a random shot in the woods and accidentally hitting a deer. To fish you want to hunt. Learn your prey learn what they like to eat learn where they like to go and that'll tell you where to go to catch them.

18. Wintersmith81

Wintersmith81 Member

Got it! Again I can't thank you enough. Now I just need to get work out the way so I can get home and fish

• Like Like x 1
  19. johnkarpenter

johnkarpenter New Member

This is amazing thank you for taking the time to explain all this. I think I'm getting there and probably just need to practice and play more but this is a mega help https://vidmate.bid/!!