Dtg Steve, Finding Ts Manuals For Those New To Ts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cat, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

How many times have us punters had to help out newcomers to TS to explain where the manuals can be found?

It was only through the Steam forum that I discovered where they were when I started TS-ing all those years ago.

Good people at DTG, why not pin a closed thread on the board with instructions as to where to find the manuals. It would save us old hands the bother and give newcomers instant access and save them a lot of frustration.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As all the Manuals are in one folder
    \steamapps\common\railworks\Manuals
    Why do we need another program to open them?

4. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

Because you can't view them in the folder. That are just PDF files.

5. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have had no problem viewing them when I want to look at one.

I don't see the problem in replying to someone who can't find the manuals, I am sure we have all needed help with something at some time. Although the first place I looked for them many years ago was in the program files.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

One post here yesterday and another on the Steam forum from newcomers to the sim who cannot start the loco etc. It's almost a daily event. I and others are fed up with being helpful on behalf of DTG in having to type C/Program......etc when a simple locked thread at the top here would guide or link ppl to the manuals.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why install a separate program to just look at PDF Files?
    Windows 10 will open PDF files without any extra software

• Like Like x 1
  8. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Can't see a problem with it. Someone has gone to the trouble of creating a FREE program to make finding the manuals a little bit simpler and all some people can do is knock them.

If DTG had announced it, those very same people would have been all over it like a bunch of giggling schoolgirls!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Just double click them... they open in a browser any way.... or Adobe Acrobat viewer.

You only have to do this once:

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RailWorks

2. Drag the "Manuals" folder WITH THE RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON HELD to your desktop, and select "Create shortcut here". From then on, all your manuals are on your desktop. You can also create a start menu shortcut if you prefer. Don't copy it to your desktop.. well, you can if you want, but it won't be updated with any new manuals if you do. Being a shortcut, you'll always have all manuals on your desktop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Screenshot on the Thirdrail website shows it looks in steamapps\common\railworks\Manuals\EN
    What if the manuals are not in that Folder?

Pointless installing a separate program for something that Windows does by default

11. longo239

Which as you stated in an earlier post is the default directory. Like most other programs you can configure it to the correct path.

12. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

Not more pointless then giving your opinion on something you obviously did not bother to take the time for to inform yourself about the posibilities.
    Then you would know that the tool has some features aimed at TS users to organize and view their manuals.

But if you like to search in one pile of manuals all the time you are free to stick with the Windows viewer of course.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Gentlemen please!
    I note that another newbie on the Steam forum has just posted that they cannot find the manuals.

14. dknowles801

dknowles801 New Member

Always been the same...you have to find your own way through TS....

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So I can open the program and look for a loco - say the AP Class 40
    Or I can open my Manuals folder and look for the AP Class 40

Apart from one version requiring an addition program and the other using Windows 10 what is the difference?
    So you think TS Users are too Stupid to organise their manuals?

16. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

No, who said that??

17. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

You have a hard time loading PDF files?

Is your computer a potato from 1992?

Download a free Acrobat viewer, or take advantage of the periodic bundles at Humble Bundle that include a PDF viewer. Windows 10 also puts PDF files into a browser directly, I've been finding, so you don't need any of these; they just give extra features. I picked up a bundle that includes a video editor, as well, since I know I plan to stream and Youtube.

I move all my manuals to the iCloud, anyway, Easy iPad reading. Separated by loco, route, and other (scenario packs and user manuals).

18. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

19. Cyclone

20. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

How about DTG install a button on the main menu / starr up screen that'll take you to or open your manual folder???

Just a thought...

Eric

21. longo239

If DTG suggested it or implemented it, I'm sure there would be many singing it's praises! Including some in this thread who have been saying it's so simple to just open a pdf.

22. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I think there is an option to look at the manual in TS isn't there? Can't recall precisely where in the menus but it's brilliant and so beautiful that just thinking about it I'm getting a... I jest- it's not terribly helpful IMHO because you don't need the manual when you're looking at the menu deciding what to drive- you need it when you're taking a passenger train off shed into Köln and the ruddy emergency brakes keep coming on even though you're ruddy crawling and you've no ruddy idea why... to... give a... purely hypothetical example. Ahem.

I'm sure a desktop short cut would be very helpful- easy to arrange and just knowing the manuals are there would answer many questions. I still think they're more useful on your 'phone or other separate device (or even printed) so you don't have to Alt-Tab to open and read them- something TS doesn't always take well.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  23. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I think when you Start Steam, Start the Game, Go in to Settings, Gameplay there is a link to the Manuals
    That is ok if you wish to read the Manual whilst you are in the Game

But that is so long winded compared with clicking on a Desktop Shortcut and going to the Manual you want

Peter

24. theorganist

I would just accept it as a good idea as I am sure most people would, whoever suggested it. Although, it is simple to open a PDF.

Of course, I am sure there are many people who upon DTG adding a button to open manuals in the game who would then find a problem with it because DTG suggested it or starting threads moaning as to why they took so long to do so! See I can be petty too!

25. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I find it amusing all these people saying DTG should install a button to take you to the Manuals but nobody actually looked :D
    Manuals.jpg

Peter

26. Pookeyhead

That button does precisely nothing for me.. never has. Most of the time when I need to look at a manual, I'm mid game any way, so quitting back to the settings menu wouldn't really be ideal.

27. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Peter, the in-game Manuals button never worked for me either. I've just tried it and it didn't work. To get to them requires going through a few hoops, not obvious to someone new.

My point about starting this thread was to make it easy to find the manuals for those who are new to the sim.
    Surely it is not too difficult for DTG to put a locked thread either giving a link or guidance as to where to find them. Simples.

28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I don't use it either for the same reason
    If I have forgotten which key activates something on the train I'm running I pause the TAB out to the Desktop
    One Click and I'm in the folder for Manuals - rather than start another application - and I find the answer quickly

I forgot the other day what key combination turns the AWS on for the AP 86 - quickly found

Peter

29. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Why mention it then?

30. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A number of people have mentioned that DTG has not provided a link to the manuals.
    I was just pointing out they have.

31. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Er, so they have provided a link that doesn't work. = More confusion to anyone new to the sim.
    Or am I missing the irony?

• Like Like x 1
  32. Pookeyhead

I find it amusing that you never actually pressed it to realise it doesn't work.

• Like Like x 1
  33. longo239

I would love to see that one click open the correct manual.

It would be at minimum a double click to open the folder (windows explorer, a separate program), then a double click on the correct manual to open it in whatever pdf reader you use (unless you have shortcuts to each individual manual on your desktop, in which case a double click would suffice).

In the case of the program which was initially mentioned (which I have used), once you have initially configured it to the correct path, a shortcut on your desktop, double click and all your manuals are there, a single click on the relevant manual and it's open.

That is actually one mouse click less than your simpler method!

• Like Like x 1
  34. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

Exact the reason why I made the tool: To provide a single entry point for finding your manual. With the extra option to stay on top of TS, preventing ALT-TAB, just stay in your cab!

And if DTG would make a better button sometime, the most logical place IMO would be in the HUD. Then they could open the manual of the actual loco you are driving with a single click. (or route)

• Like Like x 1
  35. Cyclone

It's a shame that DTG can't even program a button correctly. :D

(Sorry, that has to be thrown in there.)

36. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Errm...

"In the real world" don't drivers actually carry the manuals & fault finding guides for the traction they are driving...???

I could do with printing out all my said manuals but i start to shake when I think about the amount of ink I'll use...!!!

Eric

37. theorganist

I have printed some of the instructions for some of the more advanced stock, for example the AP stock or enhancements so I can refer to them whilst driving.

38. Pookeyhead

Have them open on a second monitor. You can get an old monitor off Ebay for next to nothing, and most video cards made within the last 10 years will have the ability to use more than one monitor I highly recommend it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. theorganist

I would do but unfortunately the way I have my set up at the moment, on my TV I don't really have room for a second monitor. When I eventually get round to re-organising things I will have a look into that.