[poll] Longer Routes, Deeper Wallets?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by eurocityboy, Jul 7, 2020.

Tags:
?
  1. 30-50 miles / 50 - 80 km for USD 29.99 (or equivalent) [The Status Quo]

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. 50-70 miles / 80 - 110 km for USD 39.99 (or equivalent)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  3. 70 - 90 miles / 110 - 140 km for USD 49.99 (or equivalent)

18 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

Yes, everybody wants longer routes. The unstated premise here is that those longer routes would still cost USD 29.99 (or the equivalent). But let's face it, routes are not going to become substantially longer at that price (they might increase a bit in length, as the route building teams become more experienced and the asset base grows, but I would guess that increase will be no more than 20%). If we want substantially longer routes, we have to pay substantially higher prices.

My assumption here is that about half of the cost of the route goes toward the actual route building (the other half going toward assets, rolling stock, etc.), so that increasing the price of the route by 50% could potentially double the economically feasible route length. I have no idea if that's even halfway reasonable.

Based on these (very rough) assumptions, what would be your ideal price point for longer routes?

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The production costs are not the only thing to consider. There is also the total number of sales, which will drop off significantly as the price increases, regardless of what route length is included.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

Yes, there is that effect as well. However, the total number of DLCs released would probably decrease, so assuming people spend a roughly fixed budget on train sim stuff, the total expenditure/income would remain the same. But again, I don't know the market well enough to say if that's a reasonable assumption.

• Like Like x 2
  4. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

Maybe one "mega" route (70-90 miles) per year could work. But extensions maybe could work better too...

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

You would also have to take into consideration that you only priced them in US currency, not sure I would want to pay what I would end paying in CAD currency the first option would end up being $45.99, 2nd option would be $55.99 and the third would likely be $65.99. The length and detail would have to be worth the money.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

What I perfer is full line commuter or main line routes like LIRR or Southern Rail because we get these short unconnecting non full line routes and paying $29.99 for a 23 mile unconnecting non full line route that is riddled with bugs and clearly hasn't been tested and not addressed or fixed at this point is unacceptable and plus there overpriced. Plus with the amount of money dtg makes, I don't see costs as a reason why they can't make full line routes and no they don't have to be 100 miles. If a route in real life is 60 miles we should get the full 60 miles and with Sand Patch Grade (which is essentially a port of CSX Heavy Haul to Consoles and with 12 new services and two new trains) we should be able to get more full line and longer routes especially for a "new game"

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  7. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

This years theme is High Speed, so the perfect opportunity for trying longer routes. I mean they should at least try to make a mega route. And when the earned money made from that route decreases significantly, probably due to less sales, in comparison to former routes, then they can easily make a step back. And if that doesn't work out either then they just continue doing their current route lenght.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tallboy7648

If they're gonna make high speed routes, they should at least try to make them long because it'll just get done quickly if it was like 30 miles

• Like Like x 1
  9. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The whole "Mega Route" idea is a good one. I'd suggest a section of Cajon Pass, Tehachapi Pass, Sherman Hill, or Donner Pass for the US. Extensions for the Peninsula Corridor route (to Gilroy), the NEC, LIRR, and CSX Sand Patch Grade could be great, too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tallboy7648

It would be cool to get a lirr extension however I'm not sure they would want to add 7 additional stations and 23.5 miles of track. Matt says anything is possible so they can but it's Wheater or not they want to or not

• Like Like x 2
  11. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I'm really fed up with "everybody wants" statements. What gives anyone the right to speak for everyone? N-o-t-h-i-n-g!

• Like Like x 3
  12. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

70 - 90 miles / 110 - 140 km for USD 49.99 (or equivalent) ✔

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Im happy to pay premium price for long routes but id want it to be 90miles plus, twice the legnth for twice the price.

Or simply do long routes in stages.....part 1- 40miles
    part2- 45miles etc, plus we know whats coming too.

14. tallboy7648

They've should've just extended current tsw routes and saying that people don't want a Extension is just stupid and false

• Like Like x 1