Cloning Ts Install

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pookeyhead, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I'll keep this short: If I build a new machine, install TS on it from Steam, then literally dump my entire old Railworks folder back on the new machine from a back up, it will basically behave and work exactly as it did on the old machine, yes? (well.. hopefully work better... but you know what I mean LOL).

I searched for "cloning" and "Back up" but it turned up no results, so apologies if there's already a thread somewhere.

Thanks.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I might suggest installing the original Railworks without DLC on the new machine first, but otherwise, yes, I believe you are correct. This is the reason it is suggested to copy the Railworks folder before making major changes with third-party DLC in case you screw something up and have to redownload everything. However, it's indeed possible that you might be able to copy the entire folder and then run a verify files, then it will just find anything missing. The reason I would suggest doing the basic install first is a simple one: you want to make sure the game works right away, and not have issues copying the entire folder over at once and quickly having errors. Up to you!

If you copy, I would recommend copy the ENTIRE Steam folder, since the app manifests for all games are there as well, but most importantly for Railworks with all the DLC and workshop content involved. Note you're copying workshop stuff over when you copy the folder, as well. See https://gaming.stackexchange.com/qu...to-a-new-computer-without-re-downloading-them for more info on moving the entire Steam folder, but if you want to be safe with Workshop content, then unsubscribe from it all and then copy the folder to the new computer, then redownload one item at a time, updating them in the game as you resubscribe. Have a collection of all your subscriptions to make your life easier..

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Thanks.. all as I thought. Just wanted confirmation. Cheers.