Gathering Outstanding Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DTG Protagonist, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

That's my point. Update the core, but bring the scenario creator forward. I noticed in the TSW2 announcement they will now have a scenario creator, but things you create cannot be shared. I do have a fear that might go away with a new core for this game, but I hope not.

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Nothing to say that the scenario creator won't work on TSW1 routes. Will find out tomorrow on the livestream aparently

3. Cyclone

That's a TSW discussion, probably best to not have that clutter this thread. I was talking about TS. That said, I would imagine that it would work as you say, yes.

4. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Totally agree... if ever a game deserved a core update, it's Railworks64.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ARuscoe

Sorry, was answering 5 different posts one after the other. Still, I don't find them updating the TSW core a slap in the face. I think it gives great possibilities

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cyclone

It initially felt like a slap in the face, yes. But I've thought about it, and TSW2 comes out August 6. Hopefully they don't need as much of their team working on the DLC at once, and will move some focus to upgrading this game. Because this game needs it. We have been talking about paying for a new core; look at TSW2, that is indeed a new core. It's no different, so I feel this might be possible. They will just need DLC owners to test all of the DLC in the new core, so I would suggest they make it an early access project and work to incorporate everything at once so that we have an influence in development while they can get everything working before going final release. Look at Golf With Your Friends. It came out of Early Access after being in it maybe two years, and it's now on consoles. Since it will be the core game, it can include several new stand-alone routes that can't be bought separately, and there you go. Other bundles can add other routes. If they make later versions, they can then make those stand-alones available and put MORE new routes in with the new version, making them exclusive until the next version. Seems logical.

• Like Like x 2
  7. hightower

hightower Guest

It’s a slap in the face for people that own TSW imho but not for people hoping for an update for TS.

8. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

TS will get a update probably in Sept or Oct like it has in previous years.

9. Cyclone

Not really. If TSW2 pre-installs different routes, then you get two sets of default routes. If some are already separate DLC, it's a slap in the face to THEIR owners...but if the pre-installed routes are identical, yes, it's complete disrespect, so I doubt that.

Not likely a core update, however. Not of the kind this game requires.

10. hightower

hightower Guest

This is off topic but....

It’s a Slap in the face because there are soooooo many problems with those DLCs. I’ve spent £200 - £300 on them and DTG are telling me ‘tough luck chap, we’re done with them and we’re never touching them again. On to the next thing’.

The next thing is promising exactly what TSW1 did, and also expects you to pay for SPG even though we ALL own it by definition.

If the legacy DLC work with it, why is this simply
    not a yearly update? Answer: because they can charge £25 (my guess) for it.

There’s no way I’ll touch it with a barge pole until
    I see something different that justifies the money.

Back on topic....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2020
  11. IronBladder

IronBladder Well-Known Member

I've just read the page above and ending up shaking my head in disbelief. What on earth are you discussing TSW for in a TS20XX discussion board? How is that going to help move TS2020 on? Please focus guys. The man wants to know what you most want changed in TS20XX.

12. Cyclone

Hence why I earlier said this:
    And while I did respond again to a TSW discussion, I am trying to keep my posts around TS in general. I agree, this thread is not for TSW or TSW2. It's getting interesting discussing our need for a better core game, however, given today's TSW2 announcement.

13. ARuscoe

Given a lot of the above (including me) are saying that upgrading the game engine is a priority for them, and given TSW is getting a core engine (albeit they're not taking the DLC with them but keeping them as backwards compatible) it does seem kind of relevant, even if the dev team and project management are different for the two sims.
    But yep, that was my fault for getting confused between multiple posts in the first place

• Like Like x 1
  14. hightower

hightower Guest

I agree, but I would say that discussing the possibility of an upgraded (perhaps even new) legacy compatible, paid for, ‘new’ game is entirely reasonable in the context of yesterday’s announcement.

DTG will doubtless have the stats, but I would hazard a guess that 95% of PC players on TSW have primarily invested many £100s, if not £1000’s in Train Sim. We cannot simply write that off and move onto the ‘new’ thing. Clearly they are different beasts, and there is a lot of life left in TS Classic. There is room for both, so extending the life of TS1 in the same way as TSW, if possible, is the single biggest thing DTG could do to help it.

In that context therefore, it is relevant.

• Like Like x 3
  15. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

Personally, I think maybe more realistic U.S. signalling? I don't know if this would be possible, but for example, on Miami - West Palm Beach (a CSX line) in the game, all signals are green no matter what, unless a train is in the block, or the switch is set against the signal. But in real life, all signals are red, until the dispatcher lines a route for a train. Then, about five signals ahead of that train would turn green. So, would it be possible to have a train, say in a scenario, that has a driver to automatically line five or so signals ahead of it green (unless a switch is set against or something)?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cyclone

I get what you're aiming for here, but I think this is being chalked up to "it's a simulator, it may not exactly mimic real life". The simulator is clearly saying hey, there are no other trains here, you're greenlit all the way...but the dispatcher is not programmed to think five signals at a time.

17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

It is also a question of signal scripts. The german freeware Schuster signalscript can pretty much do it right.

18. Ighten

Ighten Member

So straying away from TSW and the (pigs will fly first) core renewal -- heres a simple fix thats needed... MAke the 64bit default or selectable as default so that steam doesnt relaunch the 32bit version just because you accidently pressed restart after changing one gfx option..

• Like Like x 4
  19. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

There is a workaround for this, if you rename the RailWorks.exe to RailWorks32.exe and then rename the Railworks64.exe to RailWorks.exe.

You will need to repeat this (or write a batch command script) every time the core game updates though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  20. Cyclone

That's a neat little hack. You also just have to know that the 32-bit button opens that version if you go the Steam opening method, and you may need to retain 64 in that location for that purpose in addition to copying the file as a default.

21. ravensview

ravensview New Member

I would say error reporting is a big issue.
    - crashes generate an error log that goes to DTG but would be nice to see a copy to help more experienced users maybe see what caused the problem
    - OOM messages are too vague
    - when checking scenarios in the workshio, game can generate pairs of notification pop-ups that have to be cleared - not really an error but if there are too many it's often easier just to kill the game via the task manager.

• Like Like x 1
  22. ARuscoe

You can use logmate for this. Instructions on the DTG support website

23. Cyclone

I did not know this either, still being somewhat new. May have to obtain this. Got a link?

24. ARuscoe

25. organdavid960

organdavid960 Member

I really hope that DTG add some new routes as all we've gotten on the console version is loco after loco. I really want to have the London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour line with the Class 444 and also the Class 442 on the Xbox one and PS4. I really hope that DTG extend the East Coastway line so you can Drive directly to Hastings and not finish at Eastbourne. I hope with TSW2 that DTG add more British routes and also add more London Underground lines such as the Picadilly line and also the Circle line

• Like Like x 1
  26. ARuscoe

Besides CSX:HH the console versions and the PC versions have the same routes and locos released. Part of the scheme for the game is that it's the same on every platform (except for that one notable absence on console which predated console release for TSW)

• Like Like x 1
  27. tsted.designs

tsted.designs Member

This thread is to do with outstanding issues with Train Simulator 2020, not Train Sim World.

• Like Like x 6
  28. Cyclone

Try over here somewhere: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/forums/route-suggestions-proposals.76/

29. Cyclone

DTG Protagonist - Can it be assumed at this point that the summary has been made up and sent to the parties applicable? I have noticed that your noted timeline has passed.

30. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yeah I think it's time this thread was locked.

31. 45144royalsignals

45144royalsignals New Member

This is my fiest post on this dorum, so forgive me if it's in the wrong place. As a former BR employeespent the majority of my railway career on the freight side & during my time on the footplate I drove quite a number of Cl.58 loco on the mainline & unloading MGR wagons on slow speed at Northfleet cement works near Gravesend between 1986-1988. Now there's a serious flaw with the Cl.58 loco on TS2019/2020 & that is the AWS bell when approaching a green signal isn't the bell, but the same noise you get on a Cl.66. The last BR loco to have the bell on its AWS equiptment with the Cl.56. The first BR loco to have the sonar sounding 'DING' on its AWS equitment was the Cl.58 loco. It makes the driving experience of those who actually worked on them totally unrealistic. I was wondering if this is ever going to be fixed?

• Like Like x 1
  32. car147

car147 New Member

Please fix the OOM issue, Another that's more than prepared to pay £20 for a new more upto date core that cures that fault.

• Like Like x 1
  33. dunkrez

If it was a TS2 style core update to DX11 with true multicore support, and enhanced graphics I'd happily pay £39.99.

• Like Like x 2
  34. ARuscoe

WHy not Dx12?

35. dunkrez

To quote Microsoft, "A major difference between the two APIs is that DX12 is more low-level than DX11, meaning that DX12 gives developers more fine-grained control of how their game interacts with your CPU and GPU. This is a double-edged sword: DX12 comes with fewer guardrails but gives developers more power and flexibility."

Just don't want to ask for too much, I feel that dx11 would be a really good stepping stone, considering we're currently on dx9.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  36. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Norfolk Southern N Line. Tricky Transit Scenario. After I have unloaded the coal wagons at Gold Hill Quarry Siding 2 the game doesn't recognise that you have unloaded them so you cannot continue. The instructions at this siding are very ambiguous. Also, the brakes on the EMD GP38-2 NS are next to useless. I put the reverser into reverse to help me to slow down although this isn't prototypical it is the only way to stop. I submitted a ticket to DTG about this but just kept going round and round in circles with no resolution as usual. I got the impression that DTG didn't want to know or they put it into the too hard basket. I see that DTG has closed this ticket with no resolution.

37. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

^^^This...

While my ageing 3960X has poor single threaded performance compared to newer CPUs, having 5 cores sat idle is very annoying. It still performs well in other stuff that supports multi-threading, and still rips through productivity work like a champ.

• Like Like x 1
  38. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There is a possibility that Upgrading one part of the Core Engine might break another part
    Some of the older Assets might not work in the newer version.
    That would upset a lot of people who have spent time and money on this game

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  39. dunkrez

While that could be true, I would wager that it is indeed possible to engineer a solution that would work with all assets regardless of age.

It's a good objection, but I think it could be overcome.

• Like Like x 1
  40. Pookeyhead

3rd gen Ryzen and RTX3xxx will land soon... (shrug) :) I know I shouldn't have to in order to run such an old game, but... just saying :)

• Like Like x 1
  41. dunkrez

I'll be interested to see what gains you produce :)

42. Pookeyhead

It will be interesting to see when AMD and NVidia actually release the goodies.

43. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

Exact the same reasoning as “64bit is impossible”.

Yes, more difficult. But not impossible. It’s not like when Apple moved from Motorola instruction sets to Intel. Even that was possible.

• Like Like x 1
  44. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If that is the case why has it not been done?

45. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Multiple reasons:
    1. Not a priority, they've already said most people are working on TSW2.
    2. Too time intensive, therefore not cost effective.
    3. Too difficult, therefore not cost effective.
    4. Can't be bothered, it is DTG we are talking about!

• Like Like x 6
  46. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

little issue i have is disappearing & reappearing objects when viewing from in game camera. it even more effective on taller object since you need little object in 3d program to balance the view. for example you make building that 50 meter tall you need to place small object 50 meter below in 3d program so when view building in train simulator it won't disappearing & reappearing.

47. dunkrez

Bang on answers. A business does it for the money, not for the love. At close of play, it's all about the bottom line.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

That's not how it works, it's all about Lod's (level of detail models) The closest being the fully rendered higher poly , detailed textured, bump mapped version and the furthest being a simple low poly low textured version.

49. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I agree with Dunkrez, a core engine update (preferably to DX11 for now) would be the best thing for the TS20xx at this point. It would be great to see this simulator efficiently utilize our PC hardware with fps and performance gains.

50. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

question if they ever upgrade to dx11 or 12 could we see an extension of sky box? i think FSX clouds could be seen at 2000km in the settings. oh man can you imagine FSX skybox and clouds in ts2021.