A Decent Class 47?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pookeyhead, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I know there was the one with the Virgin 1st gen pack... but I missed it, and now that's just a regret and a bucket of sour grapes... my question is: Is there a decent 47 available? The DTG one I have, and seems to come with everything is awful compared to the one that was part of the Virgin 1st gen pack. I'm surprised AP don't do something with the standard DTG 47... but they don't. I know there are a million reskins for the 47, but it's the cab I'm talking about. The Virgin one looked really nice.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

What you call the "DTG" one is originally part of Railworks/Train Simulator from way back - same as the HST
    I think Bossman Games were looking at making a Class 47 but nothing has been heard for a while.
    AP either do Sound/Enhancement packs like the HST where you need to own something
    or new build like the Class 50, 142, 156, 319, 321 etc where it is a stand alone product
    To improve the cab they would have to remake it and I don't think the demand is there.

It would be easier for DTG to re-release it in a non-Virgin livery

Peter

3. Pookeyhead

I can't agree more... which takes us right back to my other post ;)... but I get shouted at when I suggest such things :)

4. Pookeyhead

...finding it hard to believe there's no demand for a high quality duff as well, to be quite honest.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Who said there was no demand?
    DTG + AP will produce something that Makes Money and not stuff not just for the good of the Community

6. Pookeyhead

You did....

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I said "I don't think the demand is there" not quite the same

8. Pookeyhead

Peter, please go and look up the word "pedantry". Thank you.

9. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

The one from SC Specials *might* have better sounds, and it might be the same for the WCML Over Shap one. I know it's not exact but the Oovee Class 57 is good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Pookeyhead

There's an AP sound pack for the standard 47, so that's not a problem... it's those eye wateringly bad cab textures I hate. I'll look at the 57.. thanks for the suggestion.

11. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Depending on what period you want there are some good reskins of the Kuju class 47 on the Vulcan Productions website, they don't alter the model much so you still get that rather uninspiring cab but they have added an extra setting on the reverser so you have an engine off position, I think. I haven't used them yet as a player train, that is one of my next jobs! They do require the AP sound pack pro, but that is worth having too.

The WCML Over Shap has more realistic physics than the original one if I recall. I haven't driven it for ages. I think the sounds were better, I don't know if the AP sound pack actually works on the WCMLOS one, I assume it does, I will have to check.

I thought Master Key were making a class 47, although their website seems to have disappeared and their Facebook page doesn't give much recent news.

I think a new model would be good with all the liveries "in one place". We have had a new class 37 or half a new 37 as it doesn't cover the pre-refurbished models.

The DTG Virgin 47 was much improved, it would be good if they could re-release it in a different livery, but I don't think they would without a good reason, i.e. a new route release. Although we recently had the LNER HST so nothing is impossible!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That was them - Master Key - they also showed a 185 to be built but nothing came of that either

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

I had forgotten about the 185, I liked their 460 although it was a bit of a niche choice being relatively short lived. I wonder what has happened to them. Did they have a hand in the AP 156?

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Yes they did make the 156 with AP
    I wonder if they are still developing the Class 47 and 185? - AP only give out info when it's not far off release

15. theorganist

Good point, lets hope so. I love the sound the 185 makes, certainly on videos, I haven't heard one in the metal yet.

16. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

2.5 years on, does anyone know of a ‘decent Class 47’ on the horizon?

17. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I downloaded a scenario the other night and was quite surprised that I was missing some MJA wagons for it, so decided to do a Google search to see if I could find them, turns out they were part of this Oovee MJA Twin Wagon Pack that included the MJA's, TEA's and a 47 which have all been withdrawn individually and as this pack.. fml..

Anyway a bit more investigating and reading I discovered that they were then later bundled with the Freightliner class 70 (that I'd never bought because meh, class 70.. bleurgh), so, Reef happy, scenario happy and I've got an extra couple of wagons and an Oovee 47 I never had before to play with (no idea if it's any good or not though). Oh yeah and a Freightliner 70 too.

18. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I do like the BMG Welsh Marches / DTG Huddersfield Spoons.

19. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

This was posted on ATS facebook but I am not sure of the context.

upload_2023-1-28_7-32-56.png

20. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Doesn't Welsh Marches and Huddersfield both use the same 47 base model as the Virgin First Gen pack did?

21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

You're right there.

22. Doomotron

The current theory is that AP are making an enhancement pack based on the Huddersfield Line one, and further rumours suggest they've used some fruity language when talking to others planning on making their own 47. Nothing is confirmed but I'd be surprised if they weren't making a 47.
    The Oovee 47 is in an unbranded Freightliner livery. It is terrible, but funnily enough is based on the original model of the 47 included in Rail Simulator and early versions of TS, meaning it's the only way to get that original version (without buying Rail Simulator that is).

23. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Yeah I wasn't expecting anything of it tbh, still the MJA's and TEA's are worth it though :)

24. inversnecky

Given its prominence in the 70s, 80s and beyond, it would be amazing if there wasn’t one in the pipeline, but it seems to be taking a long time.

I hope it matches the 37 in quality (do we know how long that took to come to fruition?).

The 47s I’ve come across so far are barely usable.

25. Doomotron

Currently the Huddersfield one is the best one when it comes to functionality, but we still need the AP touch for texturing and sounds.

26. inversnecky

I struggle to believe that the honourable purveyor of the crème de la crème of TS DLC, or anyone in his employ would indulge in that sort of behaviour. :)

Honour must be satisfied: pistols at dawn, Sir, for your slur!!

• Like Like x 3
  27. Doomotron

Do not shoot the messenger! I can't prove it's true, so it is just a rumour, but AP have done some dodgy things in the past so I wouldn't be too shocked, although I would be disappointed.

28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

What is wrong with the current ones?
    There is a good set of BR Blue on Vulcan Productions but they require the discontinued Class 47 Sound Pack

29. inversnecky

Don’t shatter my illusion of the Master Purveyor as gentlemanly country vicar sort of chap, I’ve never recovered since seeing the Sainted Alan’s Twitch streams. Mary Whitehouse would be apoplectic!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  30. inversnecky

I’ll have another look. I guess the cab interior looks too much like computer graphics on the ones I recall, and the throttle wasn’t the best.

Will try the Huddersfield one.

Wonder why AP might only be doing an EP rather than a full pack.

I guess my opinions are informed by my location, where MUs didn’t feature so much, but I always wondered why there are many MU packs, but fewer locos. I suppose ‘younger viewers’ are used to MUs, but older people who likely have the cash to spend would quite like a range of AP diesel locomotives.

31. Doomotron

While it isn't confirmed that it's an EP rather than a full pack (and it's entirely possible it's a full pack) they have done loco EPs before and have done so more than full loco packs. Going by the statistics, it's more likely to be an EP than a full pack - not that it's possible to tell these days since modern AP EPs seem to change everything on a train.

32. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It is easier for AP to do an EP pack if the loco/unit they are working on is a good model
    They are just changing the sounds and some features to Enhance the model

33. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Which is why I believe they'll wait until someone like GU will build a new one from scratch.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Doomotron

Is the Huddersfield 47's model not good enough?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  35. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

No idea if I'm honest, not used it yet and I missed out on the Virgin 47 too so other people would better answer that question.

36. inversnecky

Is that the one where AWS is barely audible? I’m sure that can be sorted inside a minute by DTG with a volume tweak though?

37. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Didn’t you know that only AP are allowed to make content for TS we must all scream “shut up and take my money” and post silly gifs with each and every new release and announcement lol

on a side note joking aside a new 47 would be very much welcome