[poll] How Important Are Working Crossing Gates?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by eurocityboy, Jul 6, 2020.

?
  1. Very important

22 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Somewhat important

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Not important at all

13 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. eurocityboy

eurocityboy Active Member

[Poll] TSW2 will not have working crossing gates at launch. Would you like to see them added as a feature? How important are working crossing gates to you? Personally, at least in yards and near stations, where the player is likely to leave the train to operate switches, etc, I think working crossing gates a very important for immersion. On the open road they are perhaps less important, but still nice to have for railfanning purposes.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

This is truly important for inmersion... And inmersion Is important for a simulator. So... I heard they are working on a better way to implement this feature. Like not with "triggers" like it use to be in sand patch, if not, conected to the track itself.
    When they are going to bring us this feature? Well i hope they give this the priority it deserves...
    Hope you understand my english tnx

• Like Like x 1
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t want working crossing gates if it means any of the Lego cars coming closer to me. I’d want the road traffic improving, especially the way it moves, before seeing any of it crossing the line in front of me. Working crossing gates without the traffic crossing would be a tad pointless.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

Yep, this is pretty much how feel about it too. I would also not want to see the implementation of animated crossing gates impact the performance of other more important features in the sim... not that that would or should happen with decent coding of course, just covering all of the bases here.

• Like Like x 3
  5. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

Interesting thread, for me dynamic crossing gates must be included at some point ehm until TSW3 to be specific as TSW refers beeing a realistic game. But there are also more importanat things to look at, so crossing gates should not be at the top of the ToDo list, but also be featured at some point.

6. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to see people And better looking Cars waiting to cross as you pass by... Inmersive too. To be honest dtg had already put Time and effort in features that had nothing to do with a simulator game. In my opinión this should be in the top 5 features to implement in a priority list.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

I haven't run TS for quite a while, but my memory tells me that crossing guards have worked there for a long time and road vehicles have stopped for them -- well, most of the time.
    What's so difficult about bringing such simple animation to TSW?

8. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

As we will be driving the train, we will see always the gates down when we passed by them!
    Despite of the fact, you could use the free movement camera to go in advance to see them going down.
    But this could be possible only on parts of the route at constant speeds and no signal, or not using safety elements like SIFA / PZB or Alerter.
    Of course when driving the train it will be nice and real, to see cars crossing the rails far away.
    Then stop doing this, when you are approaching.

So what DTG could do as a first easy solution, is to locate static vehicles close the the crossing gates.
    Furthermore there is another annoying issue , when you are in the locomotive parallel or at different level roads, and highways, and sadly there is no car on them!

They could also make the 3d model simpler, but with better textures, so as you are always look a bit far away.
    This will improve both performance and surrounding views

9. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

Someone asked in a stream and the answer given was down to train detection. As I understand it TS classic drops all the barriers if there is a train pathed through or in the block. There are a couple of routes who use some fancy scripting for a more realistic closure but those are few. Crossings will not reopen until the train has entered the next block.

The initial PC Sand Patch grade tried to have a more realistic set up where the crossing would drop as it would in real life. IIRC US law requires that a crossing sequence does not start until at most 30 seconds before the train arrives at the crossing so IRL each crossing has to detect the speed of an approaching train so that the sequence doesn't start until the train is 30 seconds from the crossing*. DTG implemented it in the PC Sand Patch and it apparently caused poor performance as each crossing was constantly pinging their presence detection even if the player was at the other end of the route.

Not sure what the solution would be, in out detection can be defeated by reversing

*For comparison, the train has to start honking the horn 45 seconds before the crossing, so IRL the driver will probably be on the second horn blast before the crossing lights come on

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  10. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

I don’t think they’re important since you only see them for a couple seconds. Something I do want to see though is more accurate crossing sounds since lots of the crossing just use the same noises for all crossings. I want to see more variety in crossing sounds.