Radio Control

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by nberneck99, Jul 5, 2020.

1. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

I think that there should be the ability to ride on the end of a train that you’re switching, and control a locomotive on the other end so you can see where you’re going. Many railroads use remote control devices so I think it would work perfectly. Perhaps then a remote control switching scenario or something of the like?

2. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

In effect, this can be done and I do it frequently while switching, but it does require a bit of imagination. Simply change to view 2, select the far end of your consist and imagine that you are riding that last car/wagon. For me, this is required for most coupling even when I'm simply attaching one or more cars directly to the engine I'm driving. I also use view 2 to simulate deciding where to stop before changing direction to move to another track or siding and to be sure that I don't over-run an end-of-track bumper.

The immersion lobby will probably object to this and I agree that being able to more literally assume the role of brakeman (if that's the correct term) as well as driver would be ideal, but while that remains impossible simple imagination provides a workable alternative for me. After all, how many of you actually leave the cab every time a switch requires changing as opposed to merely clicking it on the 2D view?