Ap Wherry Lines Realistic Branding Patch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pookeyhead, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

This appears to not do anything if you have the Steam version of Wherry lines... is there anything to be done about this?

Thanks.

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Buy the AP version and support 3rd party devs.

3. Pookeyhead

I've bought shed loads of AP stuff... I just happen to have this as the steam version because it was a gift. Thank for your singularly unhelpful and assumptive post. :|

• Like Like x 2
  4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This only adds textures to the AP Mk2 DRS TSO and BSO. Don't know if that helps

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Pookeyhead

I thought it added the DRS logos to the 37s. Why does APs own material show the locos with DRS branding then?

Mine have none. This is what I assumed the branding pack did. Thanks for letting me know though. I see now that the coaches in my install do indeed have DRS branding. Every time I see a video of the Wherry lines DRS 37s, or a screenshot, they are carrying the DRS logos. Why are mine empty? How do I get the branding on the locos? Can it still be done, or was there an update to remove it or something?

6. LargeInjector

LargeInjector Active Member

I think AP branding patches only adds branding to products bought directly from AP. DTG are quite strict about using unlicensed brands on the stuff they publish.

Why not contact AP directly to see if they can advise if there is anyway of applying it to the Steam released version?

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you are just after a Reskin of the Class 37 just get it from elsewhere

8. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

You're welcome. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Pookeyhead

Ok... but if it only applies to the MK2 coaches, then it HAS worked. Are you saying it should also apply to the locos?

10. ARuscoe

I downloaded it, extracted it to it's own folder and then traced what it put out in an assets folder and that's what was in it.
    APs version of the assets supplied with the route is different to the steam version of the assets supplied with the route

Dunno, unless the 37 pack from AP contains those locos and you could swap them out?

11. ARuscoe

Extract from AP Wherry Lines page:

Rolling stock
    [​IMG]Brand new, highly detailed DRS Mk2F coaches (BSO & TSO)
    [​IMG]Heavily reworked class 37 (requires DTG Settle to Carlisle)
    [​IMG]DRS livery with 4 numbered variants (37405, 37419, 37422 & 37425)
    [​IMG]Completely re-textured cabview with additional GSMR, TPWS & DRA
    [​IMG]Detailed new sounds recorded from 37674 at the Wensleydale Railway

Extract from Steam Wherry Lines page:
    Included Locomotives & Rolling Stock
    • BR Class 37/4 in Unbranded Livery
    • BR Class 170 in Unbranded Livery
    • BR Mk2f TSO & BSO Coaches

So totally different stock supplied with the route

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If the Class 37's in the Steam Wherry Lines don't have the same folder as the S&C version then the Patch won't work

13. Pookeyhead

Do you know of one?

14. ARuscoe

Just did the same process on the "extra stock" pack rather than the realistic branding patch and that has class 37 APWL DRS so try that

15. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

16. Pookeyhead

Yeah.... I realised that early on, but Was hoping there's a fix.

17. Pookeyhead

I think that uses the crappy Kuju 37 as a base though, with the same crappy cab textures and tragic sound. I also don't have the route that it says is required. I also don't want to be needing to edit scenarios to use a new consist.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  18. Pookeyhead

Tried that.... still got unbranded 37s.

19. Pookeyhead

Do you have the non Steam version to compare?

20. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

21. Pookeyhead

One option would be a reskin myself, but without the texture used in the AP version, that will be tricky. I'd need a copy of Class37_body01_nm.TgPcDx (assuming the same file structure) from the 37425 texture folder as an example ...or a high res, side on photo of that particular DRS logo, and I can't find one of those anywhere. The last resort is to make a new logo and text myself, but that's a proper time sink.

22. Pookeyhead

Well this (re-skinning) ain't as easy as I thought it would be LOL. Oh well... give me something to do.

23. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Pookey
    I am slightly confused, (that's easy) did you download the extra stock and branding patch from AP for WH but they didn't work on the DTG version of Wherry Lines?
    Usually on AP you can download either of these two items (for free) without having to purchase the actual DLC they relate to.
    As suggested it might be worth asking Richard Armstrong if these two items will work on the DTG version.

24. Pookeyhead

Correct :)

I've asked AP via their website, so I'll see what their reply tells me.

I had a go at re-skinning the locos myself, but where the text goes over lo0uvres and stuff, it looks wrong. Can't see how the alpha file relates to the loco either... seems weird. I have the same issue with the doors on the side of the 37.

Oh well. It's all a learning curve.

25. LargeInjector

LargeInjector Active Member

You could buy the AP Wherry Lines, I know it's another £25, but think of the time you'll save not having to re-skin stock - unless you enjoy that sort of stuff.

Alternatively get the AP Class 37 pack. You'll have to alter the Steam WL scenarios to use it, but it is a fantastic model. You won't get branding on the coaches though.

26. Pookeyhead

Re-skinning it was going great until I tried to put the text on... and now I can't work out how to get the text that goes over the side louvres to work properly... So I've given up for now. I do quite enjoy tinkering, yes :)

Hmmm.... buy something I already have, just to have some text on the loco? I've already managed to reskin it with the flying compass logo, so it doesn't look quite as horrible now. However, the AP 37 pack... yes... I can just swap out vehicles in the consists used in TS-Tools. That's an idea.

I will, I have the AP Mk2 pack, so ITS branding patch works just fine, and has fixed the coaches... it's just the locos now.

Thanks for your input... given me something to think about.

27. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

So the two versions have different stock. I finally went ahead with Wherry during the Steam sale (I was really debating on it because it was probably the highest cost of any under my consideration), so I hope it's as simple as adding the Extra Stock Pack, though the scenarios are probably set up with the unbranded ones in any case.

28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure what this thread is about?
    It looks like the OP is trying to get a Class 37 in Full DRS Livery
    Has he downloaded one of the reskins that are available for the S&C Class 37?

29. Pookeyhead

Why are you talking about me as if I'm not here? :)

I don't like the S&C 37 - simple as that. Cab textures look a bit rubbish compared to the AP model used in the Wherry lines. The sound with the S&C one is a bit rubbish as well. I wanted the DRS logos on the model that came with Wherry. I've re-skinned it as best I can. I only managed to get the compass logo on it though, as I've not worked out how to get the text to go over the side louvres/grilles without looking rubbish. I've since realised that I can just buy the AP Class 37 pack (which was on my wishlist any way) and swap out the loco in the scenario consists though... probably, which would be a better solution as the AP class 37 is awesome.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  30. Pookeyhead

I'm afraid that doesn't put the logos back on the Steam version 37. Nothing does. If you have the AP Mk2 coach pack you'll have branding on the coaches, but there's nothing to be done about the loco unless you reskin it yourself, or swap it out for another loco in the scenarios using TS-Tools or something.

31. Cyclone

I really wish third-party devs would not produce different content for Steam than normal under the same title. I mean, when given the choice between $21.99 and roughly $40 (in the latter case after Paypal lowers the conversion rate to benefit itself), you're going to go with $21.99 every time. Just Trains has done this as well, sneaking a Virgin train in occasionally as well as a couple of extra scenarios for content (Class 20, Class 153, Voyager Advanced) that may never be on Steam - and if it is, likely in a skeletal form, with very few scenarios, etc.

That said, I found the Edinburgh-Newcastle route recently on special with said extra content for a lower price than full retail on Steam (even after conversion), so even though I had strong reservations about spending that much for a route, I decided to make that one of my rare cases of that. Too bad Americans get to save $10 while I only got to save a dollar and seventy-five cents or so. Steam literally controls the prices in that fashion since they offer all currencies, everyone else doesn't.. That and the sale on Western Mainlines which isn't on Steam. I'm closing in on enough points to get something for free now. LOL

32. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If you had purchased the Wherry Lines from AP then you would have the Full DRS Livery on the S&C Class 37
    From which route is the loco are you trying to add the Full DRS Livery to?

33. ARuscoe

They get a lot less money from Steam sales as both Steam and DTG get a cut, so I can see how it makes business sense to have a steam version and a direct version
    With JT they often give you a lot more scenarios on their own downloads, but the rest is exactly the same on Steam and via their own site

34. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Given the choice I prefer to buy direct from the 3rd party devs. In the case of *AP you get more for your money even at double the price of Steam. I appreciate some buy from Steam to use with Workshop scenarios and that APs scenarios require a lot of extra dlc, but I make my own scenarios with what I have.
    *Other devs/publishers are available.
    Support your local 3rd party dev if you want quality.

35. Pookeyhead

You've not read the thread have you? :) It was a gift. I didn't buy it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Cyclone

That's exactly what it is. I have seen Wherry used in the workshop a few times recently and figured its a good chance to get a good look at an AP product; however, I was not aware that there is the huge discrepancy between the content provided on the two versions. Do we know whether the exclusive content can be separately obtained without having to buy the route a second time? Additionally, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to calculate that it would have cost twice as much, so naturally, I'm going to lean towards the cheaper of the two. In the case of ECML North, I went with the Just Trains version because I found it cheaper and with more content (some scenarios I have to edit or I can't play yet, but still). Being not from one of the main pricing markets, I get screwed over by currency exchange on any third-party site, which may have an influence on my views of whether buying from a third-party site is better for me.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  37. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I had read the fact the route was a gift.
    I was pointing out which Class 37 would have had the Full DRS Livery
    But I am unsure which Class 37 you are trying to apply the Full DRS Livery to?
    Not the S&C because you don't like it - so which one?

38. Pookeyhead

The ones it comes with.

39. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

That 37 should be the same as the S&C 37 as DTG have only done two versions
    What folder does it sit in?

40. Pookeyhead

Assets/AP/Wherrylines/Railvehicles/Class37/APWL Then there's a separate folder for each numbered loco.