Open/close Doors With Keyboard Keys?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Ian1991, Jul 14, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    86.5%
  2. No I like the current pop-up menu

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  1. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

As a PC player, I would like DTG to input seperate keyboard commands for the doors opening/closing. Or let us be able to configure them and save having the big bulky pop up window in your face.

Just like you can with ts2020, press one key to open doors on left, key to it for the right and vice versa for close. Pretty annoying to have a big pop up everytime or having to move camera views with the mouse to find and press the cab buttons.

Something so small that can make it a little more immersive and realistic. Which IMO should be standard for PC control-wise anyway. The more induvidual controls and keys for train functions the better.

• Like Like x 2
  2. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

Well they did make a new hud for tsw 2, so maybe they did think about that also.
    Anyway the next q&a is next Thursday...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

How is simply having to press a key on the keyboard more immersive and realistic than actually having to push the button in the 3D cab?

• Like Like x 1
  4. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

For me as a keyboard player, who doesn't use a mouse to operate the actual buttons on screen in the cab, a single key would be preferable to TAB key, mouse click to open, repeat to close.

• Like Like x 1
  5. hightower

hightower Guest

I’d also like to see separate keys for the AWS & DSD. Can’t be difficult to do.

6. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I understand that as personal preference, but how could it be "more realistic and immersive"?

• Like Like x 1
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’ll be more immersive purely because the menu doesn’t come up on the screen. I would go out on a limb saying that pressing a button on a keyboard is more like pressing a button in the cab than clicking on a graphic of a button with a cursor controlled by a mouse, at least in the experience of the driver, so a keyboard control is more realistic also.

• Like Like x 5
  8. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

You need to ask the person who said it adds to their immersion, for me, I would just prefer to have a key rather than the current method.

• Like Like x 2
  9. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

The pop-up menus give it that ‘arcade’ type feeling in my opinion. I’d prefer to use a button on the keyboard or use the cab controls.

• Like Like x 6
  10. CaptHart

CaptHart New Member

This exactly. Reaching over to press a button on my keyboard is very much more immersive than requiring a mouse click.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Ian1991

atleast somebody gets it, I agree with you there.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ian1991

Plain and simple as explained above by myself and two others, others may disagree but I dont want to have a big arcade style pop up menu everytime if I use the tab key. And i also dont like the fact i have to keep using the mouse and moving the camera view in cab to find the buttons, pressing a key on the keyboard mimics pressing a button in the cab, without the menu pop-ups or having to move around the view in cab everytime you need to press a button.

• Like Like x 4
  13. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Agree whole heartedly.
    A key press preferable to the current method.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

For me I would love a dedicated key for doors (open & close). Since GWE, hated having to mouse over and click a button. Prefer the way TS does doors etc. To me, physically pressing a button is much more realistic than having to move and click a button.

I’ve also recently been given the opportunity to test out some dedicated custom hardware for TS, so being able to map those with that hardware via a keybind would be brill! Maybe the API will enable that to happen?

• Like Like x 1