Round Of Applause

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Monder, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

(If you haven't read this so far https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/tsw2-update )

The time has come for a big thanks. Although the release has been postponed a bit, I would say it is for a really good reason and would like to thank DTG for making a right move. I really hope this becomes a trend and that it turns well financially for all of you at the company as well.

So consider me happily waiting for 20th August to take the Caltrain special, load some innocent passenger in Cumberland and take them for a spin (hopefully legally at 79mph (DTG Protagonist ? :D )) over the grade. And then it's time to see ICE3 in Essen (if it works the other way around too). The disaster year of 2020 might just have gotten a bit better.

• Like Like x 45
  2. HamioSamio098

HamioSamio098 Well-Known Member

I would also like to congratulate DTG. Thank you for making my summer hols!
    Edit: This also means I can actually do a Full length run of the Peninsular Corridor without getting bored (ehem. Take the ICE3M and go full beans at 200MPH.)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JonnE

JonnE Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go as far and describe it as a desaster - esp. this year there are some more events which deserve this title - but I definetely agree with you on the rest!

Very good decision which brings back a lot of confidence that might have been lost earlier.

And lately 2 days after the release no one is going to talk about this postponement anymore. :cool:

I can live with it as well - 2 weeks are only a short amount of time and are in this case well worth the wait

Good job!

• Like Like x 5
  4. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Monder Your answer is in the stream today.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

At least one great thing came out of 2020. Cant wait to drive a HST down the WSR. At 125MPH obviously.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I didn't say TSW2 is a disaster, the year itself is. I was making the point that the year as a whole got a bit better. :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Its great to see that they have listened to the feedback regarding the "old" Content. Its a step in the right direction.
    Makes your purchases much more valuable now. Well done.

Would have been great if the Content could still substitute on new routes, but maybe this opened the door for that aswell in the future.

• Like Like x 5
  8. DTG Protagonist

I'm not sure what this means. Could you expand?

9. hightower

hightower Guest

Agreed. Well done DTG.

Maybe things are changing after all?

• Like Like x 5
  10. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am happy to hear about delay for TSW2 to give more time so that current routes owned will be able to use the new features within TSW2. Thank you for listening to the community DTG this is the best news yet.

• Like Like x 4
  11. mattbt667

mattbt667 New Member

While I agree, this is good news, does it mean that not all preserved content will be available day one? (Just without scenario editor.) The routes I drive most are not in the first two announced batches. I was super excited to be able to have all my purchased content under the TS2 banner from launch as originally announced.

12. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Yes if you the read the article it will list what and when the content will be available

Preserved Collection 1 (20 August)
    • East Coastway: Brighton - Eastbourne & Seaford
    • Peninsula Corridor: San Francisco - San Jose
    • Caltrain MP36PH-3C ‘Baby Bullet’
    • Caltrain MP15DC Diesel Switcher
    • Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr: Duisburg – Bochum
    Preserved Collection 2 (September)
    • Tees Valley Line: Darlington – Saltburn-by-the-Sea
    • BR Class 31
    • BR Class 20 ‘Chopper’
    • Long Island Rail Road: New York – Hicksville
    • LIRR M3 EMU
    • Ruhr-Sieg Nord: Hagen – Finnentrop
    • DB BR 155
    The remaining Preserved Collection content schedule will be confirmed when we launch Train Sim World 2.
    So, this is just the beginning for the Preserved Collection and we can’t wait to see what you do with the new Scenario Planner. In the meantime, we know you want to see more. We will be continuing to provide weekly updates and screenshots in the run up to launch. Our next Train Sim World 2 Stream with Community Q&A on Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen runs TODAY and includes a first look at the Scenario Planner! Watch live on Twitch and YouTube at 8PM BST / 9PM CEST.

• Helpful Helpful x 6
  13. hightower

hightower Guest

If you read the announcement then yes, that is the case.

However, take reassurance in the fact that not only have DTG delayed release to make a product better (is it actually a first?!), they have also listened to feedback and are adding functionality that to this point they weren’t going to do.

I’m still very sceptical, still don’t feel that TSW2 is sufficient a step forward to justify it being launched as a ‘new game’ and I still won’t buy it until I see a LOT of changes and solutions to long standing issues. This, however, is undoubtedly a small step in the right direction. Let it be the first of many.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

why not do NTP and TVL and ECW and GWR and WSR in one batch seems logical to me then all american in another batch and germany in another

• Like Like x 1
  15. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Not everyone likes UK stuff, so would be a tad disappointed at launch if this was the case

• Like Like x 1
  16. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Probably because the older routes like GWE, WSR and RSN for example, require much more work than more recent ones like East Coastway. If they did them your way, they would be having to hold back the newer ones to wait for the older ones to be processed.

This way, each batch will have something for everyone no matter if you’re interested in German US or UK stuff.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

One route from each "nation" makes much more sense to make everyone happy (on average).

• Like Like x 9
  18. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Basically the thing that the old Content is doing. The german trains for example can substitute with other German Loco´s where appropriate. So if for example the new German Route would run the Talent 2 and DB BR 422 in real life, the 422 from the "old" Content could substitute for this train in Timetable mode on the new route. Resulting in more varied traffic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This is good news, the delay is a pity though, but we can't have it all ... Looking forward to the stream.

20. bobsr

bobsr Member

Now that you have decided to do the right thing concerning, the preserved TSW routes, trains, etc. with the scenario editor, in TSW2, I'm back in. I was going to use my gaming cash for the new MSFS Flightsim, coming out on August 18. Now, I have to scrape up some more cash for TWS2. Nice work, and, thanks for listening to your fanbase.

• Like Like x 2
  21. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - off topic exists for a reason]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2020
  22. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Well, DTG, you may have just regained my custom. All I want to do is drive my choice of train on my choice of route!

I would much prefer the extra wait for a more polished version rather than a rushed released full of bugs.

It's good you have listened to our views, but it's extremely frustrating that you couldn't foresee that would be a huge issue to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
  23. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It was never announced that all TSW content would be available at the launch if TSW2. It was announced that we would be told what content was useable at launch, which is what we have now been told in this announcement, as well as the added bonus of using the content in the scenario planner.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I am not 100 % sure, but I think at the very beginning it was implied all old content will be available day 1 without compatibility, but it was soon changed to "we will clarify." I prefer this "drip-feed" of compatible content way more.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Just want to add to the chorus that this is all very good news. Two week delay is no big deal, and being able to use our existing content in a meaningful way in TSW2 is fantastic.

• Like Like x 5
  26. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Yes! Got to say that was my no1 gripe and this will make a lot of people happy. A big thank you to Protagonist for championing our causes and channelling our whinges and complaints to the right parties. :love:

• Like Like x 5
  27. lucas_5_5

lucas_5_5 Well-Known Member

Very good news today! Preserved collection locos going to be able to use in TSW2 over the Time was my main concern.

Also, the talent2 having brand new sounds Is good to hear.

• Like Like x 3
  28. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

This is great news. A very big one actually. I can finally have more a.i. traffic on LIRR and RT. I however don’t see Rapid Transit on the list. I assume it would be added in at a later date. Can’t wait to spend hours creating my own timetables for the routes.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Yes, this might just be the news that will make me want to buy TSW2 after all. Really great decision and I'm happy for it.

Can't wait to make scenarios for the LIRR, for example.

• Like Like x 4
  30. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The 2 week delay is 100% worth it.....well done DTG. Prior to this announcement I didn't feel there was any reason to import in my TSW2020 routes but now with scenario planner support for preserved routes there absoolutely will be.

• Like Like x 5
  31. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Well well well, it's fantastic to see that DTG have listened!

I now feel I can get onboard TSW2 (pun intended!). May I also add how impressive the PIS on the ICE train looked, fantastic to see the scrolling text station stops on destination - hopefully this is the start of a fully implemented PIS in future - the guys at DTG must admit themselves that this truly adds real immersion!

A little disappointed to hear there are no neutral sections but it's something I do want to see in future.

Good stuff.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 7
  32. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Well, they said they would.

33. SaddingtonPlush

SaddingtonPlush Member

This decision to delay for the sake of a huge improvement is a real hit with the veterans here. As a new-comer I'm thrilled too, because when I bought (nearly all) of the DLC to go with TSW2020 I thought that it was destined to just stay as it was - playable, but with no new bits. Suddenly that investment I made looks even better - thank you DTG and of course thank you Protagonist. Obviously you've carried feedback to DTG and they've listened.

So, your username is very apt and well justified :)

• Like Like x 10
  34. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

Good luck with those Amtrak tracks... ;)

Great news from DTG today, and a delay worth the wait. Really excellent decision in my opinion, and it proves that the collective voice is both heard and listened to. I was squarely in the "wait and see" camp regards TSW2. This may well serve to push me into a purchase of the new software.

Cheers to the folks at DTG! Good on ya...

• Like Like x 4
  35. DTG Protagonist

Maintain healthy scepticism. All we're doing right now is showing you what we're working on and what we're aiming for. When it's delivered, that's the time to make your decision. The last thing we want to do is disappoint, and to that end we'd far sooner you stay on your guard then get swept up in a positive announcement.

• Like Like x 4
  36. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Agreed. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that since Sam has come along that DTG has made a massive change to their original plan. The whole community should buy him a virtual drink for his efforts at relaying our feedback so effectively and it’s a shame his time in the role is apparently only temporary.

• Like Like x 2
  37. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

I will simply echo others here, this is a welcome change and does allot in its own way of improving my feelings towards TSW2.
    Between this announcement and the recent Q&A I am firmly in the will buy now. Considering that between the announcement of TSW2 and now I have uninstalled TSW and simply walked away from TSW, content to wait and see what TSW2 is in 12 months time, now you have me on board day 1. And that's not just due to the improved collection support but also around showing real dedication with smaller items like updating sounds on the talent 2 its these little details i like to see been given attention as it demonstrates a real care for the product.
    All in all well done DTG and also a big thank you to Matt and Sam for taking feedback seriously and opening up the dialogue with your community.

• Like Like x 4
  38. jazznsf

jazznsf Member

I just find it very refreshing that - quite obviously - the collective voice of the community is being taken into consideration. Having a brother who worked for years at Microsoft gives me perspective on the difficulties of writing code that will work across a vast number of hardware configurations. It's amazing to me sometimes that things work as well as they do, with software as complex as TSW. Maintaining backwards compatibility for legacy code is sometimes not even possible.

Thanks for the "reality check." I tend to lean toward the healthy skeptic side of things anyway, but try my best to avoid being cynical. After all, the reason we purchased the software was to have fun. :)

• Like Like x 3
  39. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

Wonderful news, thank you DTG!

40. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

Wonderful news tsw2

41. andref.maccarini

andref.maccarini Member

Just one more month to get that done... working from home?
    To think that we've been told by some users in these forums that asking for this was unreasonable. That it was unfeasible...

A step in the right direction for sure. I still don't think it's worth its cost without an editor though. Hopefully for Dovetail all those console sales really turn out to be as high as they expect.

42. hightower

hightower Guest

I’m bothered about actions, not words, Anthony. Particularly where DTG are concerned.

[removed by Protagonist - passive aggressive statements like that just bring down the tone, don't]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  43. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Just caught up with the stream down under, well dome Matt & Sam, agree with the above comments. Looking really interesting, credit where credit is due.

44. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Well, I'm aso happy to wait a bit longer for a better game with more content on release. ButI do feel sorry for forum member JohnnyK98 who had specially taken two weeks of work based on the previous release date. I hope he can re-schedule his time off :)

45. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

I've just finished watching the latest stream and for the first time since the announcement of TSW2, I heard something a lot more positive, closer to what I expected or wanted from that initial announcement. I have no problems with the delay whatsoever.

It does appear that they have listened, I am slightly curious as to what the technological breakthrough was that has made some of what we were told was totally incompatible, all of a sudden compatible though :cool:

They didn't have to listen to the community, but in my opinion they weren't quite expecting the response they got in the beginning.

• Like Like x 2
  46. hightower

hightower Guest

My guess is no major breakthrough other than the powers that be have given them the greatest gift of all, a bit more time!

• Like Like x 3
  47. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The Talent 2 in RT is probably my least favourite train. Hopefully the changes make it more appealing to me. I have a feeling they might.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

At the very beginning, it seemed the whole Preserved Collection was to be released day 1. If I was to guess, the decision to make it compatible was made somewhere around when that information turned into "only some will be available on day 1, we will clarify later." Even the SPG trailer and article already had no mention of the release date. And the specific number of services on Köln - Aachen with preserved content (49 alone, 110 with MSB, 161 with RRO - the timetable has to be ready for this) suggests the decision wasn't made yesterday, but a couple of weeks ago. Which might be even better, as the initial reaction to rework old content was sooner than it seemed.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Also there was that leaked pic of the Köln - Aachen route with the freight train clearly visible, and that seemed like a relatively early test run (very different HUD, and the LZB debug lines in the corner), so they probably already experiemented with this idea back then.

I'm just really happy they actually decided it worth the extra time to do this, such a great call. With these news, I think I will definitely buy TSW2 at least when the LIRR arrives as preserved collection, if not sooner.

• Like Like x 3
  50. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

aaaaaand that is how you please a customer. Now I have a reason to purchase some of this DLC and get back on board with TSW2. I'm super pleased to hear this and look forward to see what else y'all have in store (while maintaining my healthy skepticism of course). Keep it up DTG!

• Like Like x 1