PlayStation Tsw 2 Text Size

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Jul 17, 2020.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Watching the QA video again on my PS4 connected TV, the text size is definitely too small for me. I wear glasses and although I can read the text, I reckon after a while my eyes will feel strained. Hopefully this is something that can be looked at as I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels like this. Maybe the option to increase the text size for those that would like too can be built into the game at some point.

I’ve included a poll so you can vote whether you agree or disagree with me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

Of course, TSW2 is still a work in progress and what we get can differ from what we've seen so far.... but, what I have seen so far is too small for my middle aged eyes to comfortably read. If it stays this way, I'll have to use the crappy PS4 zoom function on more than one occasion.
    This is also the main reason why I stated in another thread that I thought the TSW1 HUD was better

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

If you haven’t voted, but have an opinion one way or the other, please vote. It may or may not change anything. But, who knows?

4. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

I voted yes, not because I am convinced that it is too small (we have seen far too little to be sure), but I have seen the font in TSW 2020 (which definitely is too small in certain cases), and I'd like to see it confirmed more thoroughly that it will be fine for all announced game platforms at every single point.

• Like Like x 1
  5. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

8B86D3B6-01F5-45FC-8518-E12F8A739047.jpeg ABF7D3FE-E447-4A42-B538-8F4BC1A8198F.jpeg
    I posted a couple pictures for people to reference.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Slemcer

Slemcer Well-Known Member

Yep, I saw them, here in the forum and on the TSW 2 news web site. Let's wait and see how objectives with at least three lines of text look like. This could happen quickly with languages other than English.

NB: I've transferred these pictures to my living room TV screen (it is 4k capable and perfect for playing with my PS4 Pro). I also did a format conversion from 1920x1080 to 3840x2160.
    The result is: the pictures are somehow blurred when the TV needs to resize. The description text in the scenario planner and the line "Unlock Doors" of the HUD should use a larger font size.
    NB2: I also thought, that the reduced contrast compared to the HUD of TSW 2020 made it less readable, but that depends on how long the lines will get. What really is a problem is the width of the letters, they are too narrow.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s not just the size of the font it’s the narrowness of the font. Tall narrow fonts are bad enough in print but are a real pain on screen especially in a small size. I could just about forgive the digital clock segmented numbers but not unreadable text.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You have a valid point. The text font is important too.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Based on those screen grabs, the only thing I really have issue with is the italicised text in the blue box. The tall font is far from ideal, but a bit of an increase in the tracking and simply using a non-italic version would improve matters considerably for the same font sizes. The "Load Passengers" text seems unnecessarily compressed too given the space available - what's the longest thing that section would ever need to say?

10. F.Barnes

F.Barnes Active Member

Watching the Bakerloo Stream on my TV:

The text size for next signal distance and next speed limit distance are not good readable.
    The "Stop at location"- distance is terrible ... i can't see anything.

It would be nice to have the fonts of TSW2020 on consoles. They are okay.

• Like Like x 5
  11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Compare the speed limit and signal distance numbers in TSW2020 to those in TSW2 and you will see good choices in the former and poor choices in the latter...

TSW2020
    Rounded font
    Not bold
    Not Italics
    Reasonable size

TSW2
    Narrow font
    Bold
    Italics
    Smaller size

Each of those changes makes the rapidly changing numbers harder to read. Having a combination of all four is bordering on insanity. You would find it difficult to make them any harder to read.

• Like Like x 3