Summer Sale

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nwp1, Jul 16, 2020.

1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

The Steam one is already ended. I have no idea about the DTG site.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Most items are at the same price as the Steam Sale

4. Cyclone

That is slightly inaccurate. If you are in a currency supported by the DTG site, the prices are similar. If your currency has to be converted to before paying, the prices may be wildly different. Take for example the London-Faversham, which is indeed 50% off like Steam had it. For CAD, that meant a price of $21.99 while US pricing is $19.99 (look at SteamDB and do math to confirm). On the DTG site, we only see the $19.99, meaning that we have to do our own conversion instead of one covered by Steam. As a result, we wind up with over $28.

Be careful when saying the prices are identical; many wind up paying higher prices, but some might wind up with lower prices. Those are ones per SteamDB listings whose base price is cheaper than the default price. And even then, Paypal takes a few percent for itself as a service fee, so you probably pay more anyway.

The summary of all of this is that the DTG sale is never any better than the Steam sale. Unless you like in Europe or in America, it's always worse. This is the same reason I prefer Steam over third-party sites and hate that some content is kept exclusive requiring me to come up with another $10 while others get it for the same price as anything else. Annoying, really.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I will rephrase
    The prices shown in GBP seen to be the same as those GBP prices in the Steam Sale
    If that is incorrect I'm sure someone will correct me

And I live in Europe rather than "Unless you like(?) in Europe"

6. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

The Dovetail Store Summer Sale will be running exclusively on the Dovetail Store until 6PM GMT on the 27th of July!

According to their latest emailing.

7. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Some items are higher. I tried to buy the A4 Pacifics from the weekly deals about four weeks ago for £4.49. See in the attachment you will see the item in my cart. But I tried for days on three different computers to checkout and it just froze until the deals ended and I was able to access it at the low price in the cart but when I started to pay it jumped up to £17.99 now it is in the sale at £7.19 which is £2.70 more than the weekly deal price. I wrote to DTG store but never received a response.

Attached Files:

8. Cyclone

That is precisely what I'm talking about. Here, I'm presented with US pricing. Sadly, they do not have a CDN option. That means any prices on their site will NOT ever be the same ones on Steam. As a result, I will only buy on Steam, never from the DTG store. There's literally no reason to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. samsonbo

samsonbo Member

There's also the fact that tax is added to out-of-country buyers, so I'll never buy from DTG's site...

• Like Like x 1