Would You Be Interested In New York City Subway?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JackRyan, Jun 13, 2020.

1. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

The atc for me is just fine. You just gotta spam the button like 1,000 times lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. tallboy7648

As a person who uses the Hempstead branch frequently, 8 car trains go to Alantic Terminal Brooklyn on the Hempstead branch not 6, so I think DTG got the platform length completely wrong. Also Alantic Terminal Brooklyn station is not bright as hell in real life. They got the lighting completely wrong

• Like Like x 1
  3. Deimenried

Deimenried Member

Personally, I wouldn't be interested in a subway route. I'm not fond of the underground parts of LIRR and NEC as it is, never mind having a full route of it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tallboy7648

The underground sections of the LIRR are too bright. I don't know how they got lighting wrong

• Like Like x 1
  5. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

They wont be able to do anything....but we can now thanks to the secnario editor....we can probably use all the terminals at once to create the way that LIRR operates irl

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

No, not very much. I like LIRR but one of this type of routes is enough.

7. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I mean TSW2 is something new
    Well DTG has ruined the LIRR horribly but its train sim world so we will get another type of subway system though LIRR is a railroad.But many routes are like LIRR some major station is underground & many stations are above ground.

8. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

But I hope If we do get the NYC subway we should get the scenic routes that go to coney island or brighton beach but at this point the poll is useless because since 2018 people have asked for this or that subway but hasn't come yet so I think TSW2 will be the same as TSxx only london underground.

9. tallboy7648

They didn't have access to the railroad itself which is probably why it's so bad

10. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Yeah that makes sense because the LIRR is busy & I don't know what the MTA does with licensing.I believe I asked matt a few months ago was the LIRR the hardest to get reference for & he said yes but I don't remember what else he said

11. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

The lack of access really doesn't explain the bad timetable and the missing speed signs and whistle boards.

Even if you don't have a real LIRR timetable at hand, you can still see that the current timetable in TSW is way too empty. And the scenarios actually have proper traffic around you, so it's not like "ohh, we didn't know it's supposed to be busy".

As for the trackside signs, you can just watch a cabride video on youtube and see where the posts are supposed to be.

• Like Like x 1
  12. tallboy7648

That is true, they could've watched videos and had a realistic timetable instead of the one they had. I don't think that's a major excuse

13. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

The LIRR is the 1 busiest commuter railroad in the US I mean not in TSW

14. tallboy7648

That is true, but it's a shame dtg did such a bad job with the lirr

15. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

What's so bad about LIRRR? I like driving this route. Despite there is only one train type and I am really surprised sometimes about ATC it is not a bad route. Of course, I have never been there so I am not blocked by knowing the details on how it would be in real world. Of course I would like to see a lot more traffic, but can't have it all I think.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well obviously there is the ATC that doesn't seem to work properly, and the timetable that barely has any traffic. Line speeds also don't match the real life line speeds at some places, speed and whistle sign posts are missing.

Scenery is also pretty weak at places. For example there is a line diverging to the south after Jamaica, and if you look at it from the mainline you can clealy see unfinished scenery and the tracks just howering in the air. Certain bridges where track cross over each other also look really bad, because they just used too few supports under them. The tracks and the ground also look pretty horrible around Jamaica, they could've used a it more detail there.
    Then other parts, even though they have detail, but look completely different from real life. Like the short section between Garden City and Country Life Press, between the two level crossings, looks completely different from real life. In game there are houses there, even though in real life there are only trees there I believe. And there is just generally much less foilage around the route compared to real life.
    Also there is the part towards Atlantic Terminal where the line goes from elevated to underground, the building are so much lower than in real life and the view it completely different there.

Most of these things you don't even notice, but if you watch a real life cab ride video for comparison, you'll realize how different it is in TSW. And I mean it's weird, because it's not simply lack of detail (obviously you can't expect them to model every single building and pile of trash properly), but a completely different view, which could be fixed if they simply decided to use other assets there.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tallboy7648

As a person who uses the LIRR route in real life, in tsw it is done poorly. Penn station in the tsw LIRR looks unrealistic as to real life and Alantic Terminal Brooklyn as well. The lighting in the tunnels is done poorly and for a game that advertises that the routes are modeled as realistic as possible, the surrounding areas of the route along with the timetable is completely innacurate

18. tallboy7648

The section between floral park and Hempstead does have houses but you wouldn't see them because in real life there would be trees and bushes in the line preventing you from seeing those houses. There are no speed limit signs which is a joke. I mean if they didn't have access, that's not a valid excuse because they could've gotten sources from videos but I'm sure Stujoy would defend dtg as always

• Like Like x 2
  19. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

These polls are a bit strange, I suppose I could just not have answered. But I answered yes as although it wouldn't interest me I want those who would be interested in it to get what they want. I don't know really if the answer should ever be no, as that means that you only want what suits you really!

I always got the impression on here that the LIRR was one of people's favourites! I quite like it although I always thought it should be rather busier.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  20. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I bet it is some of the people who want london underground only that said no but I think this poll is useless because we will get another type of subway system in TSW in the near future

21. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Why bring my name up? I haven’t even posted in this thread. I think you had better stop name-checking me in posts before it lands you in trouble with the moderators.

• Like Like x 3
  22. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I hope this thread doesn't get locked

23. Captaintraincrash

Captaintraincrash Active Member

[removed by Protagonist - starting an argument here]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Captaintraincrash

It probably will to be honest

• Like Like x 2
  25. theorganist

[removed by Protagonist - welcome to the off-topic portion of this thread]

• Like Like x 1
  26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - structural integrity of thread is at risk]

• Like Like x 1
  27. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - if you want a thread to stay open don't join in any off-topic bunfights]

28. Captaintraincrash

[removed by Protagonist - moderator now on scene, rightfully]

• Like Like x 1
  29. Captaintraincrash

[removed by Protagonist - off topic]

• Like Like x 1
  30. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

[removed by Protagonist - press the report button, step away from the keyboard]

• Like Like x 1
  31. Captaintraincrash

• Like Like x 2
  32. theorganist

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  34. theorganist

35. tallboy7648

• Like Like x 1
  36. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Right then, let's make something absolutely clear.

We defend the right of our players to be critical of the game and the company on this forum. The only limit to this rule is that criticism is kept civilised, and that it is not targeted at those who, shockingly, actually like the game. The same applies in reverse, and to be completely clear I'll spell it out - we will also defend the right of our players to be positive about the game and the company on this forum.

This only extends as far as users are able to avoid name-calling or senselessly arguing with others. All that results in is what has happened in this thread, read up to see for yourself.

Tagging in a user of this forum deliberately to cause trouble is frowned upon. We won't stand for people tagging "haters" we won't stand for people tagging "fanboys" and we won't stand for either side of an argument using that language. You all, collectively, are smarter than that. If you cannot out-argue someone without resorting to labeling them in such a way, your argument is weak.

If you feel a post crosses this line, report it and back off. That's why we're here. If you report it, then say "I reported this" you are not improving the matter in the slightest.

I'll leave this thread open as it has value, but watch the flaming.

• Like Like x 8
  37. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

...Well, lets get things back on topic, shall we?

I think the idea of having subways in TSW would be fantastic, just to give the game bit more spice and variety. Quite frankly, subways and metros feel like they've been neglected in the train simulation genre. Sure, theres things like OpenBVE and World of Subways, but each have their short-comings. One has poor graphics that look like they date back to decades ago, and the other one feels a bit lackluster and unpolished.
    As far as im aware, there isn't any real thorough attempt at recreating that unique subway experience.

So with the prospect of the Bakerloo line coming to TSW2, I look forward to seeing how DTG handles that fast-paced metro experience, and I hope that it delivers well.

As it stands, our only glimpse into seeing how it'll play out are those underground sections in the LIRR and Rapid Transit DLCs. Personally, I thought those stations driving through the underground portion on Rapid Transit looked fantastic and well made. Judging by the screenshots so far on Bakerloo, I'm expecting much of the same, with some really detailed platforms and such :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. tallboy7648

I hope we get increased passenger capacity for the Bakerloo Line otherwise they haven't captured how busy the line is

• Like Like x 1
  39. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

bve is old game

40. tallboy7648

It is and it has some features that dtg can't implement for some silly reason like in train announcements and working destination boards

• Like Like x 2
  41. skyMutt

Well, I wouldnt call them "silly reasons" because really, they would implement them if they could. This sort of thing simply comes down to the amount of time they have for development.

For destination boards, theres now proper dot matrix displays working on trains (it was introduced in East Coastway and remains the only DLC to have it, but the upcoming Koln - Aachen route will also have it with the Talent 2's and ICE3's). They mentioned numerous times on stream that they work in a way where they can just save a simple text file and have the display generate that text onto the dot matrix. Its better than the previous method where it was one huge texture file that would scroll depending on what destination was selected. It allows for a bit more flexibility.
    So with this information, its reasonable to believe that those timetable boards you see in stations could be animated with this same method, they just have to work out a way where the boards know what train arrives at what time, but this would have to work dynamically because its possible a train can be delayed in-game.
    Oh, and these have to be optimized well so they don't eat up unnecessary amounts of performance.
    Again, this sort of stuff takes some time to implement, and honestly this is just speculation on my part. But I'm just saying that it should be possible that we can see these in the not so distant future.

As for train announcements, these are a bit more tricky. Ideally they can send a team to go get sound recordings from the real thing, or they can synthetically recreate those announcements. It takes time to do these things properly (btw, those train announcements you hear in BVE are really poorly done, because there's always background ambient noise from real life in those announcements)

We have to keep in mind, while these are really nice to have in a game, it takes a lot more effort than you think :P

• Like Like x 1
  42. tallboy7648

They could just probably pull it from YouTube and put it in the game. For a company in 2020 to not have that feature is just silly. They should honestly take their time implementing those features in new routes instead of rushing out DLCs riddled with bugs and the announcements in bve in the new york city subway at least are not poorly done mate

• Like Like x 1
  43. skyMutt

True, but I'd imagine then they'd have to worry about copyright issues and licensing and such. Going back to BVE, I certainly remember that the announcements would always have ambient background noise in them from real life. The problem is that its literally just a clip that they took from a recording, spliced it up, and just put it into the game without doing much else to it. Theres chatter, and the audio quality isn't really all that great. Certainly I'm not the only one who can hear it?

The point I'm trying to make here is that it takes some time to work out all the audio properly. Its not like its a simple copy and paste job.
    But I do agree with you though, more time is needed to be given for development so that these sort of things can be fleshed out.

Theres a thread over on the PS4 forums where we were discussing something similar to this, where there was radio chatter implemented in the Sand Patch Grade route, yet its something thats been omitted in every other route since. I could imagine that if the developers at DTG were given more time and resources (like they were with SPG), then sure....we can have stuff like proper station announcements throughout Bakerloo or a hypothetical NYC subway route. Unfortunately...time and resources are not exactly unlimited like we tend to think...

44. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

I mean caltrain had announcements when the doors are closing.Which DTG added.But if we do get a NYC subway if it is one of the newer models from the 2000 we could get stand clear of the closing doors please.But if we do get the older trains from the 80s we would get no announcements we would have a PA system for the conductor IRL.But I found this great video

• Like Like x 1
  45. tallboy7648

I feel like dtg should start introducing in train announcements to future routes and take their time doing it as well. The announcements in OpenBVE are clear for the NYC subway so I don't understand why we can't get them for a game in 2020

46. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes

• Like Like x 1
  47. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying your view. Maybe I just should be happy not to live there. Ignorance can be an advantage ... Besides that, you may realize that this game has its limitations. Dtg has constraints with respect to game performance, what we are willing to pay and maybe several others as well. Despite all shortcomings I see, I like this route but I do not need a second one.

48. KingKlast

KingKlast Member

:) Most Definitely!

• Like Like x 1
  49. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  50. tallboy7648

PATH or Port Authority Trans Hudson in world of subways one is not part Of The MTA New York City Subway system since it goes to New Jersey and is not operated by the MTA. Personally I think DTG would do such a bad job making the New York City subway just like how they did a poor job making the MTA Long Island Railroad which I use as well as the nyc subway. I mean the Long Island Railroad looks horribly unrealistic expect for the stations. Well Penn station in the LIRR looks unrealistic. It's like they didn't even bother trying to model the lirr platforms correctly in Penn Station and even if they didn't have access to the LIRR they could've gotten reference from other sources to at least try to model it somewhat correctly

[edit by Protagonist - language]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2020