Other Emergency Brake With Train Brake Handle

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by robinnieuwenhuis1, Jul 12, 2020.

1. robinnieuwenhuis1

robinnieuwenhuis1 Member

Hello, I have tested several trains and locmotives with putting the train in emergency brake with the train brake handle. What I have seen is that it only brakes with the Dynamic brake unless the main breaker is open. In real life a train always emptys the train reservoir when putting the train brake in emergency position. I am a train driver in real life and I can say that the emegency "notch" on the brake is a mechanical thing which emptys the train reservoir (5 bar). This is because it is a safety measure. When will dovetail games look at this, as it adds more realism to the game if it works like a real life train brake system.

Kind regards,

Robin

2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Which train are you driving?

3. robinnieuwenhuis1

robinnieuwenhuis1 Member

All German trains have this behaviour in the game, all trains with a combined Traction/Brake handle and german locomotives

4. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Which trains are you referring to? Certainly the American and British locomotives that use the air brake, an emergency brake application will vent the brake pipe from 5 bar (if British) to 0 bar and this is the case in TSW. Obviously on the modern units that use the electropneumatic brake such as the Class 377 or Class 166, there is no brake pipe so an emergency brake application causes a full service brake application (perhaps slighter more depending on traction). I assume when you refer to the train reservoir, you are referring to the brake pipe and not the main reservoir as the main reservoir is unaffected by an emergency brake application.

You’re absolutely spot on that when braking in emergency, it reverts to pure friction braking and no dynamic braking. I am a bit confused though because if you are referring to 5 bar brake pipe pressure, you’re referring to a British locomotive yet there are no British locomotives certainly on TSW that have dynamic braking capabilities so you must be referring to an American loco. American locos on TSW and generally speaking have a brake pipe pressure of 110 psi (7.6 bar) or 90 psi (6.2 bar) for passenger and freight respectively. But your point still stands though because on an American loco on TSW, an emergency brake application will have dynamic braking when it should revert to pure friction braking (although the brake pipe is still vented).

With regards to realism about emergency brake applications, I’d also like to add that during emergency brake applications on modern trains in real life such as the Class 377, the auto-sanders continuously deploy sand regardless of whether there is any wheelslide detected or not and so you would see the sander light illuminated continuously during an emergency brake application up until a few mph just before the train comes to a stand.

edit: I just saw your second post referencing German trains. I don’t know too much or have played much on German traction

Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
  5. robinnieuwenhuis1

robinnieuwenhuis1 Member

Fortunately, you also know what you are talking about. I mainly only play German trains, so I can't tell you how it works on other trains. In real life I also drive trains and our trains are mostly like German trains.

I am indeed talking about venting the train brake pipe (5bar), which should always empty when you put the handle in the emergency brake position. At least on Dutch and German trains