Basic Restart Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blackdiamond1964, Jul 19, 2020.

1. blackdiamond1964

blackdiamond1964 New Member

I just got back into Train Simulator and I'm looking to have a new start at an old project. I soon realized that there might be more content out there then I first thought.

My project is an interurban set in Pennsylvania around 1950. I still like the Horseshoe curve texture set, however the track used on that route seems dated and doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. I also thought about using the Sacramento & Northern track as it's set up for an interurban railroad. Before I commit to any track, I need to ask...

Are there any new track packs out there that might work and look better?

Come to think about it...What about trees and bushes? I'll need those too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

3. blackdiamond1964

Both of these routes do look pretty good. I'm pretty much set with the textures of Horseshoe Curve. I would be buying those routes just to use it's trees which doesn't seem logical. I think what I'm looking for is some kind of tree pack.
    I did change my mind on the track though, I switched from the Sacramento & Northern track to the Scalerail track pack. Even though that pack is 10 years old it does have the look I'm going for.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Railfan722

Railfan722 Well-Known Member

The Vulcan Productions freeware grass and tree packs might have what you're looking for: https://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk/rb.html

Just a word of advice with the trees and grass, try and keep their usage to near the tracks. Large forests of 3D trees will kill the framerate on any computer. If you're looking for a decent set of ground textures to add to your route, the Columbia Valley Pacific has a good assortment that use procedural grass, which looks decent and has a much better effect on the framerate. The track that comes with it is a nice representation of 100 lb/yd track, which would be perfect for an interurban, although I've had some issues with the ballast in the middle not appearing. You can get that pack here: http://railworksamerica.com/index.p...a-valley-pacific-v1&catid=20:route-collection

Ninja edit: this is what the track and foliage looks like:
    Screenshot_Columbia Valley Pacific Railway(V1a)_49.45878--120.51994_12-02-23.jpg

5. blackdiamond1964

Thanks for the info & advice, I'll look into those packs.

6. blackdiamond1964

I'm working on making some track rules for this project. It reminded me of a question I had from a long time ago. Can you change rail switches in the world editor? If so where are they located? If not are you stuck with only the two switches in the track rules? Is there a work around to use multiple switches?

7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Change them to what?
    AFAIK there are only Manual or Automatic Switches in TS2020

8. blackdiamond1964

To a different type of switch. I found this out when I accidentally deleted a switch. I had no way to get it back unless I rebuilt the track in the area.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Sorry but I'm not understanding.

In the Model railway I'm building I have to select a left or right point or even a double slip
    But in the game you just create switches (Points) anywhere you want

And if you have the wrong item selected when you hit Delete just hit Undo and it reappears