Bossman Games Stanier Black 5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aidenapa26, Jul 20, 2020.

1. aidenapa26

aidenapa26 New Member

so, i think this is a great loco, but i can't get the boiler to fill up with water. How do i do this!?!?

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Have you read the manual?
    And remember, Black Fives Matter.

• Like Like x 2
  3. aidenapa26

aidenapa26 New Member

haha! yeah i've read the manual, i think it's k, l, i, o to fill up the boiler but the boiler pressure drops a lot whenever i have the throttle at over 20% and i can't make the fire any bigger

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Unlike a Diesel Loco where you put the Direction Leaver to Forward the just take power the Reverser has to be adjusted when driving and it need to be moved away from 75% when you get going so the loco uses less steam and water

5. aidenapa26

aidenapa26 New Member

i usually have it at around 25-50% while running.

6. tommydee

tommydee Well-Known Member

Think of the reverser as being like a continually variable gear box. At 100% (75% is the max on some locos) you've got lots of power but can't go fast, at 15% you've got little power but can go fast. The more reverser you have the more steam you use.

The reverse setting is actually the percentage of the piston stroke you are allowing steam into the cylinder. Why is it called a reverser? I don't know, except when it's put in reverse the loco goes backwards.

7. aidenapa26

aidenapa26 New Member

but even when i've got it at 20% i loose tons of steam!

8. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I haven't driven it in ages but does it has a small ejector as part of the brake operation, key J, I think? If the ejector is open when running it can waste steam, it needs closing just enough to keep the brakes off. But, I can't remember if the black fives have this, I will have a look over the weekend.

9. trev123

trev123 Active Member

From the manual. I have this loco and cannot remember having issues with it. Remember that filling the boiler uses steam so try not to fill when climbing an incline when you need as much steam as possible. I have noticed on some locos having the regulator open too much also hinder filling the boiler. Make sure you have the right valves open ie Injector Steam and the Steam water trimmer. That part on setting the water trimmer valves is crucial.
    Injectors
    Both injectors on the loco can be toggled on or off with their respective keyboard
    controls. Whilst the loco has water trimming valves, these are already set up in the
    correct positions for operation. However, the water trimming valves may need to be
    adjusted when the boiler pressure drops below the normal operating pressure of
    225psi.
    For example, to use the Fireman's side injector:
    Injector Water Valve Right – Open by pressing L or by using the mouse

Injector Steam Valve Right - Open by pressing O or by using the mouse

You should hear the injector “pick up” after a few seconds by listening out for a

distinctive “singing” sound.
    If the boiler pressure is lower than around 200psi the injector may not work right

away. You will hear the sound of steam blowing out of the injector and you may need
    to adjust the Water Trimmer Right until the injector “picks up”.

• Helpful Helpful x 1