Conrail

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by JGRudnick, Jul 19, 2020.

1. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

On April 1, 1976, Conrail was created out of what remained of nearly bankrupt railroad's in the eastern US. Conrail, Norfolk Southern, and CSX became the big 3 railroad's of the east. For over 2 decades, Conrail operated all over the northeastern United States, including the world famous Horseshoe Curve and handled freight operations on the Northeast Corridor. It also aquired the ex Monongahela's trackage to the massive Bailey Mine. Both these routes are featured in Train Simulator, but there is no Conrail content in the game.

I am suggesting a locomotive pack that would contain locomotives, rolling stock, and scenarios for the Horseshoe Curve route.

Conrail operated many locomotives over the grade between Johnstown and Altoona. On mainline freights were found GE Dash 8-40CWs and EMD SD50s. SD45-2s were used as manned helpers and were hooked up in pairs. SD40-2 s and C30-7s could also be found along the line.

A pair of SD50s haul a train uphill around the Horseshoe Curve.
    IMG_20200719_161754238.jpg

A trio of Dash 8-40CWs lead a mixed freight.
    IMG_20200719_161807348.jpg

An SD40-2 and a C30-7 team up on a westbound auto parts train.
    IMG_20200719_162339290.jpg

For rolling stock, it would be necessary to include trailer flatcars and Conrail 100 ton three bay coalhcoal hoppers with Conrail bathtub hoppers (both of which can still be found mixed into Norfolk Southern Coal trains)
    Bathtub Gondola
    unnamed (1).jpg

100 ton hopper and bathtub gondola
    unnamed (2).jpg

I suggest scenarios for Horseshoe Curve because I see the most potential there. Scenarios could be created for the workshop on routes like NS Coal District, the Croton - Harmon line, and NEC New York - New Haven.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Great idea! Come to think of it, why isn't there any Conrail? I doubt it's a licensing issue since they now provide service for NS and CSX, who both have their likeness in-game.

3. JGRudnick

Yeah. Norfolk Southern's Conrail heritage unit is in the game. They would need both NS's permission to use the unit, and whoever owns the right to the Conrail logo to use the logo in game. They obviously have both, so there shouldn't be a licensing issue.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

So DTG just hasn't gotten around to it yet. Hopefully if/when they make Conrail, we'll get a new route. The Lehigh Line would be cool. Ideally though I'd actually want it to be developed by someone that isn't DTG. Their new routes seem good but the plastic trees just look awful. The previous 3D trees were fine, so I really don't get why they use these unrealistically colorful trees. They ruin the look of the entire route. If I'm not mistaken, DTG is the only developer that uses these trees so if someone else takes up the project the route will look nicer.

Hey I wonder if DTG will see what I said about their trees and stop using them when they begin devving another route ;)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. mattanatior97

mattanatior97 Member

why not some the u36b or dash 7 8 or 9 for conrail

• Like Like x 1
  6. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

We also need a Conrail GE C39-8, EMD SD70MAC, and EMD SD80MAC, as well as the other ideas.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mattanatior97

mattanatior97 Member

No we don't need anymore sd70 we have enough already

8. JGRudnick

I was listing locomotives commonly found on the Horseshoe Curve, and I did suggest a dash 8.

Yes, the SD80MAC in Conrail livery would be great!

• Like Like x 1