Route Suggestion: White Pass & Yukon Route

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by josh.ostrowski03, Jul 23, 2020.

1. josh.ostrowski03

josh.ostrowski03 Active Member

Before I begin, I originally posted about this topic on the TS2020 route suggestions forum where we were having a discussion about the route and jedi247 suggested that this route might work better in TSW2. I thought about it and it makes sense. For such a mountainous route with complicated and beautiful scenery, I would want it to be recreated as well as it could be, and that might not be possible due to some limitations in TS2020 that would make this route a much less fun experience than it could be in TSW2. Ok ramble over...
    The White Pass & Yukon Route (Reporting mark: WPY) is a 3 foot gauge route that starts in Skagway, Alaska, and terminates at Carcross, Yukon, for a total route length of 67.5 miles. They currently operate as a tourist railroad, using preserved steam engines, old MLW DL535E diesels, and GE 90 Class diesels that are unique to this route. My favorite routes in TS are always the mountain passes (Donner / Marias), so this route would be an awesome addition to TSW2!!
    Pictures of the route:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pictures of the locomotives that could be included:
    MLW DL535E:
    [​IMG]
    GE 90 Class:
    [​IMG]

I have always loved the WPY because of its odd motive power and beautiful scenery, and it would mean a lot to me if this route could be released as an addon with the pictured locomotives included. If anyone else also thinks that this would make a good addon, please continue the discussion so DTG will see that there is demand for this route to be made from the community.
    Josh

• Like Like x 2
  2. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

Wow... the track gauge is only 3' instead of the standard 4' 8 1/2"? I thought those gauges were only used in places like India. Is there a specific reasoning behind this? I would think a 3' gauge would cause instability from a narrower wheelbase, causing the train's center of gravity to have more of an effect on curves.

3. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

wa very nice route

4. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Alright then. Ever heard of Cumbres & Toltec or East Broad Top. There have been 3-foot tracks in the US a looong time ago. Not seen common nowadays (as some survived on heritage railroads), but they were possible to operate on. Even with big engines like this one:
    showimage (3).jpg
    Need I say more. :cool:

And I do say this is a good proposal. I haven't seen much narrow gauge routes on TS1 or TSW. So I do hope this idea will be made down the line one day.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  5. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

No, I've never heard of them. Huh... I guess you learn something new every day.

6. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

This route needs to be made. The scenery is amazing. I also want the Cumbres and Toltec and Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge. By the way, the D&SNG also has 3' gauge track.

7. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

This is a great and well known touristic route in Alaska!
    Please notice they have a very similar diesel Alco GE locomotive, we had in my country!. The one in the last image.
    Please check my profile picture.
    They are named the "shovel nose", due to the shape of the front end
    Main visual differences are automatic coupler instead of chain and our locomotives have cabins on both ends.

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This would be fantastic to see in TSW2. It would be a unique experience, everything about it being different to the norm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Imagine the scenery!