PlayStation Freight Train Support

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mattty May, Jul 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

When I drive freight trains, I always get caught out by red signals, particularly on the German routes. By the time I’ve responded, it is often far too late to stop in time.

Does anyone have any driving tips that might help me do better?

2. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hi, as someone who has a habit of braking to late, I have some tips I have learned.
    Every train is different, not only depending on your locomotive but on the weight of your cargo. It’s always good to know what the locomotive your driving is capable of in terms of stoping.
    Always slow down at yellow signal, there’s been far to many cases where I was going full speed coming up to a yellow signal and couldn’t react fast enough if followed by a red light. Other then that all I can say is practice, practice, practice!

• Like Like x 1
  3. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

In PRO/RRO, if you do a freight service from Wuppertal-Steinbeck to Hagen Freight Yard you get caught by a invisible red signal that is never gonna change to yellow/green.

And if you can't brake early enough, just redo the scenario/service and learn when and were you have to brake.

4. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I’ll comment about the British routes and I’m sure you can apply the same to the German routes as well. Always start braking as soon as you see cautionary aspects. If you see double yellows in the distance, shut off power and start braking. Even if the signal goes to green as you approach it, you know you’re following something so kill the speed. Obviously it will depend on location but as long as you’re doing 40mph past the single yellow, you’ll have no problem at stopping at the red.

If you’re unable to react to the cautionary signals until quite late because the signal is hidden around a bend, for example, don’t be afraid to really dig in with the brake and kill the speed. It’s quite hard to describe on a Class 66 because it’s variable braking but just to give you an idea on a HST, you would have to give it no less than step 4, possibly even step 5 or 6, if you encounter double yellows at 125mph.

Now the other thing which no manual will tell you is anticipation. Think about the following:
    1. Approaching a complex area. For example, Heathrow Airport Junction, just West of Hayes and Harlington). (A better example would be Reading but we don’t go non-stop through there as that’s where the route ends on TSW)
    2. Approaching an area with short signal sections. Not always true but it’s common for complex areas to have short signal sections so this point goes together with point 1.
    3. Approaching a signal hidden around a bend
    (Not an exhaustive list but you get the idea)

If you know you’re approaching one of the above, be prepared for it by at least shutting off power or maybe even start braking gently particularly if railhead conditions are slippery. As a driver going over that route day in day out, you will know places where you are likely to be checked down. For example, you know approaching Hayes and Harrington going towards London that there Is a good chance you may encounter cautionary aspects because of trains joining the line coming from Heathrow, a chance of being put in the loop so trains can go past you and the fact that nearly all trains on the relief line stop there. So be prepared and shut off power at West Drayton and maybe even put it into initial braking to gently start bringing the speed down.

I know this has been done to death but the fact that there is very little train traffic means your anticipation skills and dealing with cautionary aspects especially for a prolonged period of time is not going to strengthen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1