Train Sim World 2 – Take Control

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by TrainSim-James, Jul 23, 2020.

1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

I agree 100% but we can’t expect Protagonist to be able to answer whenever someone likes to question something.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

You have questions, here are answers:
    • Zoom is now available inside the cab for console players. External zoom isn't possible with the current mapping scheme.
    • Km/h vs kph has been reported to the appropriate people.
    • Distance to destination is a known request - it's tricky, but we know it's demanded. No news yet.
    • Preserved Collection will use the new HUD (it's one of the things that takes time to convert).

• Like Like x 19
    • Helpful Helpful x 9
  3. matthewbguilford

Let the excitement for console zoom continue, a great and unexpected feature before the control scheme was released! Thank you for clearing up a lot of questions!

• Like Like x 2
  4. DTG Protagonist

I'll point out that using an X360 controller in the diagram was maybe not the best way to avoid confusing some people (even though it is the greatest controller in history - convince me I'm wrong (without taking the thread off topic)).

• Like Like x 5
  5. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

Ooooo, them's fightin' words! Hahaha! My anecdotal evidence for the Dualshock 4 superiority would be that both the left and right joysticks are parallel to each other allowing the thumbs to naturally fall into place, versus the offset joysticks and bulkiness of the XBOX1 controller. Also, the Dualshock controller is the epitome of ergonomic... I may be a bit biased. Hahaha!

• Like Like x 5
  6. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

As I asked for this, let me tell you that it is not really that important. If it is too complex, I can pass without it.

In fact, it might be more useful to show the estimated time to complete the service / scenario (so you can drop it if you know you haven't got the time). To calculate that you only need the start time for the first task and the estimated time for the last one and do the substraction. As we know the game has an internal schedule (players can see it in-game), I guess it would be pretty easy for the devs to do operation and put it in the pre-game screen.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

That was probably a scenario made with the scenario planner.

8. DTG Protagonist

It's a worthy addition no matter what - as-the-crow-flies distance isn't especially helpful.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I have been beating this drum for ages now....this is easily the biggest downfall of the TSW/TSW2020/TSW2 HUD. I am not going to repeat the point again as you have hit the nail on the proverbial head.

There needs to be a rolling route indicator as there was from Railworks/TS where quick speed changes can be easily identified...but it doesn't need to take up the same screen real estate. How it is implemented in Diesel Railcar Simulator is perfect:

[​IMG]

DTG Protagonist - Can this feedback be passed onto the devs for consideration in a future TSW2 update ?

• Like Like x 3
  10. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I was thinking about having it in the pre-game screen, which is really not that important. I see you are talking about having it while playing, in the objective marker and / or panel. Yep, that one would be much better with the track distance and not the as-the-crow-flies one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I think that design is good for heavy simmers like most of us in this forum, but I'm not sure for the average player. I think the average player would do better with just the distance and speed of the next limit, plus the next lowest speed limit within 500m. An average player knows what 1km is but can't tell what is the distance in km between the 25 and 40 limits in the picture, for example.

12. NekoNina

NekoNina Well-Known Member

It's not. Köln Hbf really is that empty in TSW2. Like it or not. The article says "When loading up a new Timetable Service you will be presented with a useful pre-drive brief." This combined with the overlay saying "ICE 14 Bruxelles Midi" and it having a description indicates it's a service in timetable mode.
    This is how the briefing looks in a user-generated scenario (source is the Q&A stream of SKA)
    upload_2020-7-24_2-34-24.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Ah ok. I didn't notice that.

14. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

To be fair, the moment Matt P stated in the steam last week that Köln-Aachen would have 49 services with ICEs every two hours and Talents every hour it was obvious that it was going to look that empty. LIRR by comparison has just short of 200 services and also feels ‘dead’. The upside is that once MSB and RRO get imported to TSW2 the number of services will treble or quadruple depending on how many of the other routes you own so this should liven it up a bit. Also with scenario planner you could stick ICEs and Talents (or anything else for that matter) in every platform if you wanted.

• Like Like x 2
  15. bart2day

Not sure if this has been asked already but does switching to external cameras still bring up a pop up menu on console? In the article it says that the new control method ‘removes distracting pop-up menus’ and I’m pretty sure I read somewhere said the aim was to remove ALL pop up menus on console. However according to the updated control scheme in this article you still click the right stick for external view which I assume still results with a pop-up?

16. adamant365

adamant365 New Member

It looks to me like the weight actually decreased by almost 5 tons from the beginning of the service to when the pause screen shot was taken (if it's even the same service). I don't really know what to read into that though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. matthewbguilford

I mean 5 tons of humans does seem like a lot. I guess depending how many people you could fit on the train.

18. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

Are the HUD and other UI bits as displayed in the screenshots locked down and final? Or is there still room for feedback about this "evolution" back to how games were designed in 2002?

Given the remark about how each DLC has to be updated to work with the new HUD and how close to release day we are, I am going to assume it's is final.

19. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Posted by Sam in the HUD concept thread:

"Let's be clear however, the HUD that is being shown right now is the one that's coming, don't expect any changes. "

20. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes i see

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

One thing I do wonder if the "T" (or as in TS Classic) the F1 menu is still there. I think it is, but no mention of it anywhere yet :)
    Would be a shame to remove that to use only the pause menu.

On another note, the pause menu, pauses the game but the game itself can't be paused with the Pause/Brake button.
    Couldn't via that sort of way a TS Classic Pause be included in a future version?
    So that the pause menu itself doesn't show up and leaves you with full control of the current camera (8 for example to look around and zoom in/out) for taking a screenshot.

In a sense the game is 'paused' in the menu, so it logically it should be possible.
    It that function could be 'hacked' into the code it would be awesome, you can then stage screenshots better then doing it on the fly.

22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I was having a think about this myself and I’m hoping that it goes to the external camera without a popup and then there are further selections through controller inputs to switch between the cameras (the dpad?). The controller already goes to a separate set of controls in the external view, so I’m thinking that is what will happen, as we’ve only seen the controller mapping for the in-cab view so far.

• Like Like x 1
  23. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but I hope it looks a bit more lively, especially in service mode, once the layers from MSB and RRO are added.

24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I notice that the new controller mapping has lost the cursor pop-up for precision control. I like to turn off the permanent centre dot then bring up the cursor to find buttons and stuff as and when. I’m going to miss that helpful little guy. I’m going to miss him even more because some of the controller shortcuts for lights and wiper controls have gone, so there will be more searching around for the actual switches.

This leads me on to one other burning question... will the keyboard still work with PS4? I can see myself using more of the keyboard controls for stuff like that (on some trains at least) when using the immersion control setup and for so much more besides. With the legacy controller mapping use of the keyboard is almost essential. I hope that has not disappeared.

Of course if we have lost the keyboard on PS4 the centre dot will become a permanent fixture, which is a big immersion killer for me. I’ve got all my fingers crossed for continued keyboard use.

• Like Like x 2
  25. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

If the HUD design is final and not open for change, I am not going to bother writing an in-depth post about my pet peeves and criticism of design choices which hark right back to 2002. Plenty has been said about it on the community Discord server already, and I see that someone else has written a post about it here. No point in repeating all of that.

So, question time:
    • Has any work gone into improving what information the HUD displays while you're driving? For example, does it now show you something when multiple speed changes happen in quick succession rather than just showing the first one and totally catching you out by surprise because there's a 2nd speed drop 10m further on?
      • A good example is on Great Western Express: if you're driving on the 125mph line to London you can get routed onto the slow lines via a 70mph crossover, then get a bit of 80mph as you're on the straight track again, which is quickly followed by a 40mph crossover as the game sends you onto the slow line. You don't get any clue about that 40mph limit until you're past the start of the 80mph bit.
    • Have there been changes to the quirky way in which the game's task list tells you to do a passenger stop ("stop at location X" and a separate "load passengers" instruction)?

• Like Like x 1
  26. fanta1682002

is good One thing I do wonder if the "T key

27. Rail Nation

Rail Nation Member

hey in one of the pics there is a man in a set of a train that is going backwards the lights are red here

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. DTG Protagonist

Additional information...

• Is the "T" task list pop up still present? Yes, still accessed the same way on all platforms.
    • A related new feature is that if you press and hold OPTIONS on PS4, or MENU on xbox, it will toggle the entire overlay (like pressing F1 on keyboard in TSW2020).
    • Does switching to external cameras still bring up the pop up menu? In CLASSIC mode, yes.
    • In IMMERSION mode (the new default) there are no popup menus. Click to go outside, click to go inside. Gamepad controls when in external or internal views are now almost identical in IMMERSION mode. Click to go outside and you retain full control over the train as normal as well as being able to fly the camera around, immersion mode doesn't have that switch between Camera and Drive modes.
    • The precision pointer is not present on Immersion mode, no. It is still present in Classic mode.
    • Will the keyboard still work (on console)? We're not expecting any changes as none have been designed, but whenever more control variations are added weirdness can occur. This will show up during QA testing.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 6
  29. matthewbguilford

YES! Adding this option to consoles via the controller is awesome news, honestly I feel like it’s those small improvements that are going to make a world of difference and I’m very happy with TSW2 that they are taking care of both PC and console players. Thank you Protagonist for answering a lot of the smaller questions for us here on the forums, I think I speak for the whole community when saying we really appreciate it.

• Like Like x 6
  30. fanta1682002

thank you updated

31. LiquidShadows

The addition of an in-cab zoom function AS WELL AS the ability to toggle the HUD on or off for consoles?! Man, August 20th can't get here soon enough.

• Like Like x 4
  32. DTG Protagonist

You can thank Matt for these, he's my main answer-dealer.

• Like Like x 9
  33. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

currently on keyboards with an Xbox the button to apply the breaks (a necessary for train driving) isn't functional, can we have this fixed

34. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist are sure you cant take the community job permanetly?

• Like Like x 3
  35. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

Any clarity on how we will be able to zoom?

36. matthewbguilford

Edited for correction:
    Hi, from the controller layout it looks like pressing up and down on the left stick will enable zoom inside the cab. I hope that answers your question!
    Added: With the new control scheme, the left stick became an unused input with precision mode not on this specific control scheme and the D-Pad now controls the reverser, it gave them the ability to add this feature on the left stick. I’m happy to have the zoom function coming to consoles and for PC it gives them this for the first time as well for players who use controller.

• Like Like x 1
  37. LiquidShadows

Locomotive_Controls.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  38. ehrenholt

ehrenholt Active Member

Still makes no sense

39. LiquidShadows

Ah, you beat me to it. Hahaha!

• Like Like x 1
  40. matthewbguilford

Oh, what exactly are you wondering about the zoom function? If you have ever seen any TSW videos on PC they have always had a zoom function. This makes being able to look at dials and small print much easier from inside the cab and also allows you to zoom in to see what’s coming down the line.

41. LiquidShadows

THIS, upvoted a hundred times. It's so frustrating to be toolin' along on the Peninsula Corridor and the upcoming speed indicator goes from 70 mph down to 35 mph in less than 20 yards.

• Like Like x 2
  42. matthewbguilford

I agree, I think we all have barely made the 30mph speed limit just to suddenly be greeted by a 15mph directly after. I’ve noticed a lot of these speed changes happen when you switch tracks. I wonder if there is a way to let us know when we are going to switch over. We were talking about this yesterday and someone had mentioned even a simple addition of “15mph” below the 30mph to let us know to prepare to go slower then the 30mph.

• Like Like x 4
  43. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Oh eck! So there is, I really did hope these kind of bugs did not port over to the new models in TSW and would get ironed out of the old models. I do hope we're not going to see the same old bugs appear.......!!

• Like Like x 1
  44. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It’s not the D-Pad. It’s the left stick.

45. matthewbguilford

Oops, thank you for the correction. :)

• Like Like x 1
  46. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

im quite happy to use the old style hud and controller inputs. i never had no problem with using them. looking at this new hud and style of controller inputs im getting confused. i never had to look at the cab dashboard or look down to push levers, i always used the controller i use a PS4 and i do have a keyboard as well

47. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Specifically for Pennisula Corridor, the CPL signalling system does indicate upcoming temporary speed changes, including diverging routes (see manual pages 24-26 for details).

The caveat is that you need to pay attention to the actual signal aspects, NOT the HUD signal. For example, the Y/G signal aspect means "proceed prepared to pass the next signal at Medium speed" (35mph for passenger). If you're just using the HUD and the track speed indicator, HUD signal will show as green and you'll be overspeeding when you reach the next signal. It takes some practice to learn, but it makes driving on PC much more enjoyable IMO.

For other routes that don't have speed signalling (NTP gets me on this all the time), i totally agree it should display the next two upcoming speed limits to avoid the issue.

• Like Like x 3
  48. matthewbguilford

Yes, using my PS4 controller also makes driving more convenient and only rarely or when I felt like it would I use the in cab controls, the hud definitely will take us driving with it to get familiar and I do think the new control scheme will make things even easier for people like us who use the controller once we have it in our hands. The good news is they gave us an option to use the classic controls from TSW2020.

49. bart2day

While I am very glad to hear there will be no pop up menus, how will we toggle from ‘front camera’ to ‘rear camera’ to ‘free camera’ etc? Or have these all been done away with in immersion mode and there will only be one interior and one exterior camera available?

50. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Mr Protagonist, thanks for chipping in on here it does make for good reading/faith into the game and DTG. The above shows that on console you can open/close left and right side doors without a popup menu, ive searched through a few places now and there is nothing showing this for PC?

Can you clarify that we will have this option too? As it is a highly requested feauture for us PC players too to be able to use controls without a pop-up style menu?

Thanks again

• Like Like x 2